Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Just saying "hi" and asking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holehogg
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

• klflowers
      Club Member
      • Sep 2015
      • Tennessee

I think they covered both sides pretty well - I have done it both ways, cut in thirds to get into ziplock bags and stored and pulled the next day, or pulled right after cambro and stored. The key is to save the jus and mix it back in when reheating to serve. Now that that's out of the way, do you remember the Wabash Inn that used to be (or may still be) downtown Chicago? I worked there for awhile back in the 1980's, and I remember having some of the best baby backs I had ever had at the Wabash Inn.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you talking about Miller's Pub, which is on south Wabash, and is known for their ribs? the facade has changed but they've been there since the 1930's. big celebs used to hang out there. http://millerspub.com/

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        MikesBBQLounge, that sure looks like it, but I could have sworn it was called The Wabash Inn. Of course, back then I used a few substances that may have affected my memories... I do remember that the ribs were excellent though. First time I had ever had baby backs - grew up on spare ribs.
    • Troutman
      Club Member
      • Aug 2017

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

Welcome from Texas !! To pull or not to pull, that is the question !!! Good arguments either way, only thing I would suggest is investing in a sous vide circulator (if you don't have one already) and re-heat your meat that way. You're already bagged, it's a great way to re-heat as well !!

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a sous vide, Thanks.
    • jfmorris
      Club Member
      • Nov 2017
      • Huntsville, Alabama
      • Jim Morris

Cookers
        • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (2021)
        • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
        • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
        • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q & Rotisserie (2007)
        • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
        • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
        • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
        • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
        • Anova
        Thermometers
        • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
        • Thermoworks Dot
        • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
        • Thermoworks RT600C
        Beverages
        • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

Originally posted by MikesBBQLounge View Post
      I am new to the website, but have been bbq'n for my whole life. Mom and dad introduced me (got me hooked) on ribs at Russell's BBQ in River Grove, IL, just outside of Chicago, about 50 years ago. I have a question, I've made meats and held them in a faux cambro (foil and towels in a cooler). But, for the 4th of July, i want to smoke my pork shoulder the day before and then reheat. Does anyone have experience in doing this? I don't want it to dry out.
      I've done this a number of times. For one of my daughter's engagement parties (they called it "I Do BBQ") I smoked 9 butts (74 pounds), finishing around midnight or so the morning of the BBQ. I went ahead and pulled all of the pork, sealed it in foil half size steam table pans (with crimp on foil lids), and into the fridge it all went. I pulled 4 or 5 of those pans out and put them into the oven on low a couple of hours before the party, and we dumped them into two 6 quart crockpots as needed during the party.

I've also had success bagging the pre-shredded meat using a vacuum sealer, and then dropping into a pot of hot/boiling water to reheat.

The other way to go is to refrigerate them whole, wrapped in foil, and reheat and pull the pork at the time of the party. The issue with that is that you will then have to reheat all of the butts from an IT of say 36 degrees out of the fridge, to at least 140F or maybe 160F even before you can even think of shredding. And you will find a lot of congealed fat that you wouldn't have found if shredding them right off the smoker the day you smoked then. Personally, if you cannot time it to just have them in cambro at the time of the party, I would lean towards pulling the pork in advance, and reheating, and serving from crockpots or warming trays.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks. I like pulling it out of the cambro in front of everyone and start pulling. It's like watch sharks circle their prey. It adds to my fun. so, i think i'll skip the reheat.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        MikesBBQLounge skipping the reheat is best if you can make the timing work! Often, I'll run low at 225 overnight, putting the butts or brisket on at say 11PM or so, then when I wake up, depending on how things look, I might crank the heat to 250 or 275 to get things done quicker, if I want to be in cambro sooner.
    • troymeister
      Charter Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Forest Park Il
      • Weber 26

Weber Performer 22.5, Weber 18.5, WSM 18.5, Smokey Joe

2 Slow N Sears, Charcoal Rotisserie, Kettle Pizza for Weber 22.5, Vortex, Grill Grates

Smoke Thermometer, Igrill, Thermapen, Thermapop,Maverick 2 probe
        I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I put it in my food.

One cannot have too many grills.

Welcome!... Seems like already a lot of super solid advice. Forest Park here BTW.

Comment

• NapMaster
        Club Member
        • Jan 2019
        • Denham Springs, LA
        • WebberSummitGold6burnerLP, ShotGunSmoker

Avid Armor Vacuum Sealer

Nothing to add but welcome from South Louisiana!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
        The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
        The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
        The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
        The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
        The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
        We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
        Stylish and Affordable
        Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
        Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
        Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
        GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
        The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
        This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
        A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
        FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
        Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
        Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order