Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saying "hi" and asking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saying "hi" and asking for advice

I am new to the website, but have been bbq'n for my whole life. Mom and dad introduced me (got me hooked) on ribs at Russell's BBQ in River Grove, IL, just outside of Chicago, about 50 years ago. I have a question, I've made meats and held them in a faux cambro (foil and towels in a cooler). But, for the 4th of July, i want to smoke my pork shoulder the day before and then reheat. Does anyone have experience in doing this? I don't want it to dry out.

MikesBBQLounge , WELCOME to the Pit!! I've done this a lot with pulled pork. Pork is so forgiving that I think you can do it just about any way you want. I've successfully heated in a pan with some of the left over juices and in the microwave also with leftover juices. Just don't think you can go wrong.

Comment

thanks, richinlbrg How about with a whole shoulder? Do I chill it whole, and then pull and reheat, or reheat and then pull?

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        After a 2 hour faux cambro, I always pull it then chill it.

+1 on advice from richinlbrg. Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
          Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. I pull, bag, and then reheat in the bag in water, but a microwave will do if in a hurry.

Comment

I never pull until service time. Hold it till temp drops to about 150° to allow the collagen to continue breaking down and rendering, then either vac seal it or use one of those big zip-top bags to stash it in the chill chest. Reheat the day of and pull, pouring the juices over the top. If you vac sealed it you can reheat in a water bath. Once you pull it, in my experience, it starts to dry out, and even more so when you reheat.

Comment

• DiverDriver
                DiverDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                totally agree. That is my experience as well.

• MikesBBQLounge
                MikesBBQLounge commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds good. I now have a plan.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Geeze you just made my mouth water tweeter !!

Welcome to The Pit. It's easier to pull when very warm, so I'd pull it warm.

But first, use a pan to catch the drippings if you can. You can add it back to the meat once pulled for more flavor and moisture. Some will let the fat congeal and skim it off. Some don't bother - it's your call.

Sealing in a vacuum bag is probably the best way to store the meat, but zipper bags will work too. I do suggest double bagging if using zipper bags. Then you can reheat in hot water, (not boiling).

If you could use a crock pot to keep it warm that is probably the easiest. But you can aslo use two disposable serving tray - the bottom with hot water in it and a can of Sterno for heat.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. I prefer to pull and bag before I chill it. I have not tried reheating in bag in water. Warmed it slowly in a pan in the oven at 200. Just make sure you capture all the juice when pulling and use then.

Comment

I've done this many times. I pull it and put it in the fridge. The next day microwave it with a damp paper towel in the oven.

Honestly I think it's better the next day. Like chili, soup, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, Mosca

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll add, covered. Microwave it covered, with a damp paper towel under the cover.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Well, there’s nothin that’s goin to be of any benefit fer you comin from me. Cept, welcome, you are goin to really dig it here, eat good and have fun!
                      Last edited by FireMan; June 17, 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

welcome from Snoqualmie Wa.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here