Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saying "hi" and asking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

I think they covered both sides pretty well - I have done it both ways, cut in thirds to get into ziplock bags and stored and pulled the next day, or pulled right after cambro and stored. The key is to save the jus and mix it back in when reheating to serve. Now that that's out of the way, do you remember the Wabash Inn that used to be (or may still be) downtown Chicago? I worked there for awhile back in the 1980's, and I remember having some of the best baby backs I had ever had at the Wabash Inn.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you talking about Miller's Pub, which is on south Wabash, and is known for their ribs? the facade has changed but they've been there since the 1930's. big celebs used to hang out there. http://millerspub.com/

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        MikesBBQLounge, that sure looks like it, but I could have sworn it was called The Wabash Inn. Of course, back then I used a few substances that may have affected my memories... I do remember that the ribs were excellent though. First time I had ever had baby backs - grew up on spare ribs.

Welcome from Texas !! To pull or not to pull, that is the question !!! Good arguments either way, only thing I would suggest is investing in a sous vide circulator (if you don't have one already) and re-heat your meat that way. You're already bagged, it's a great way to re-heat as well !!

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a sous vide, Thanks.

Originally posted by MikesBBQLounge View Post
      I am new to the website, but have been bbq'n for my whole life. Mom and dad introduced me (got me hooked) on ribs at Russell's BBQ in River Grove, IL, just outside of Chicago, about 50 years ago. I have a question, I've made meats and held them in a faux cambro (foil and towels in a cooler). But, for the 4th of July, i want to smoke my pork shoulder the day before and then reheat. Does anyone have experience in doing this? I don't want it to dry out.
      I've done this a number of times. For one of my daughter's engagement parties (they called it "I Do BBQ") I smoked 9 butts (74 pounds), finishing around midnight or so the morning of the BBQ. I went ahead and pulled all of the pork, sealed it in foil half size steam table pans (with crimp on foil lids), and into the fridge it all went. I pulled 4 or 5 of those pans out and put them into the oven on low a couple of hours before the party, and we dumped them into two 6 quart crockpots as needed during the party.

I've also had success bagging the pre-shredded meat using a vacuum sealer, and then dropping into a pot of hot/boiling water to reheat.

The other way to go is to refrigerate them whole, wrapped in foil, and reheat and pull the pork at the time of the party. The issue with that is that you will then have to reheat all of the butts from an IT of say 36 degrees out of the fridge, to at least 140F or maybe 160F even before you can even think of shredding. And you will find a lot of congealed fat that you wouldn't have found if shredding them right off the smoker the day you smoked then. Personally, if you cannot time it to just have them in cambro at the time of the party, I would lean towards pulling the pork in advance, and reheating, and serving from crockpots or warming trays.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks. I like pulling it out of the cambro in front of everyone and start pulling. It's like watch sharks circle their prey. It adds to my fun. so, i think i'll skip the reheat.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        MikesBBQLounge skipping the reheat is best if you can make the timing work! Often, I'll run low at 225 overnight, putting the butts or brisket on at say 11PM or so, then when I wake up, depending on how things look, I might crank the heat to 250 or 275 to get things done quicker, if I want to be in cambro sooner.

Welcome!... Seems like already a lot of super solid advice. Forest Park here BTW.

Comment

Nothing to add but welcome from South Louisiana!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here