Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg from Pacific Northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg from Pacific Northwest

Hey all, just signing in - a complete novice since September 2018.
    I’m a little north of Seattle..
    I am into curing and smoking my own bacon per Meathead’s instructions.
    I plan on smoking my first brisket (flat) a day or so after Christmas. Any advice regarding the brisket flat will be much appreciated.
    Merry Christmas!
    Greg

Come on guys and gals - there has got to be expertice out there re: a brisket flat.
    How do I stay true to brisket? Do I cheat or can I go for a thick bark and still have tender beef?

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Greg. I think a lot of people here are early to bed. All the typing here wears them out. That means the West Coast members are pretty lame goin' to bed before 8 PM.

Cook your brisket like you would cook a pork butt:

Anywhere from 225* to 275* would be safe. But first dry brine your flat. Salt it with kosher salt about like you would salt any meat, but on both sides. I'd go ahead and brine it now to give the salt plenty of time to penetrate. When your smoker is ready, add a rub if you want, or just some pepper and garlic powder if you'd like. Then smoke it while it's still cold. You want it to be probe tender when you pull it. For beef, that normally happens anywhere from 195* to over 200*.
      Some like to inject their briskets to aid in keeping it moist - it's your choice.
      Some like to wrap their briskets in foil after it reaches ~ 160* to ~ 185*. When it's done, wrap it in foil and keep it hot for a minimum of 1 hr, but you can go 4 or 5 hours if necessary.

There is a great brisket article on the free side that goes into more detail.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Greg ... not a brisket guy but there are plenty around here who are.

Comment

Welcome Greg .... I live in Maple Valley, WA .... I love to cook brisket. What are you cooking on? How big is the flat, is it choice or prime, what’s the timing you need to achieve?

I LOVE to cook brisket :-)

Comment

I live a little north of Seattle too...in Bellingham. Welcome. I like cooking brisket. My brisket advice is watch Aaron Franklins videos and listen to ecowpers advice.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
              I'm excited to see ya make yer first brisket, thanks fer sharin!

Comment

Welcome to the pit PNWGreg enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ. RonB gave some great advice. Just remember along with temp you are looking for PROBE tender

Comment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from California! I love the Pacific Northwest. Visited my sister south of Seattle this summer. Always ready for another trip up!

Brisket is one of my favorites to cook. After years of dry-brining then rubbing with BBBR, I finally did a Dalmatian brisket (only salt and pepper) a few weeks ago, and that is now my go-to.

Trimmed the brisket. Liberally sprinkled 50/50 salt pepper mix. Tossed it in the smoker. Best brisket I’ve made yet!

I smoke most everything around 250°F, including brisket. Probe tender is when it’s done. Undercook it and it will be tough. Over cook it an it will crumble - it’ll still taste delicious, but won’t win any brisket photo contests. It’s around the 200°F mark, give or take a few degrees. Brisket and pork ribs are the only think I cook my feel...and it takes some practice to know what it means when they have the right "bend".

Happy cooking! Looking forward to hearing about your results. Also happy to clarify or offer other tips, as are everyone else here in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard from Virginia. You will learn a ton from this group!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Take a look at this post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method

Comment

Welcome from Florida.

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome and enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here