Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-Introducing Myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Introducing Myself

So, it's been about a year since I joined and added by intro post. I've been trying to dive into the Pit more over the last few weeks and thought it would be good to share a few more details about myself.

It's really the occasion the occasion of Veterans Day this weekend that prompted this post. It's gotten me thinking about why I love BBQ and grilling to much. So bear with me a personal story about how I got into grilling and BBQ before I share an update on my setup since my original post.

It certainly wasn't the influence of my parents or parents of friends. Growing up it was Kraft Mac n Cheese (except on Thanksgiving which required a very specific family mac n cheese recipe), some basic recipes, and scorched earth chicken or burgers on a gas grill.

Except for my grandfather.

Having lied about his age to enlist in the Marines, he served in the Pacific during WWII. He told me very little about the war (particularly his time at Guadalcanal) and what he did tell me came only after I told him I'd visited a USMC recruiter after 9/11. He was a very proud veteran, but I heeded his warnings about war and stayed home (with regrets from time to time about it). My cousin ignored him, joined the Army and served several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, living now in Montana and serving as a police officer.

After the war he moved back to the Philly area, worked in construction (sheet metal worker), raised four kids and lived long enough to meet 8 grandkids, and 2 great grandkids (unfortunately, not mine). He passed in 2013. It was before I had a decent grill (or the knowledge I've picked up here) and after he'd given his up to move to assisted living. Our attempts at oven-baked and crock pot ribs could never quite satisfy either of us (though, not for lack of trying!).

He didn't cook much, but when he did it was a highlight for our family and he made exactly three things: omelettes, wings, and ribs. No more. No less. He didn't grill burgers or hot dogs or potatoes or steak or corn on the cob or chicken breast. He didn't fry steak on the stovetop old school style. You couldn't pay him enough to preheat an oven and cook lasagna or turkey, unless my grandmother asked him to do it (which she never did).

He cooked hot and fast over gas, because his hands were always at work on various projects around the house, working in his sizable gardens, or with us. I'm sure he wanted no part of adding fire management to that list. When he was cooking, he was cooking and when he was building a chair or replacing a hot water heater, he was all in on that. When he was watching the Phillies or the Eagles, he was drinking beer and was not standing up to check a cooker. Interestingly, with the exception of omelettes on Christmas morning (only for family), he never cooked just for himself and never just for immediate family. He only cooked at gatherings for extended family or parties with friends, always made more than we needed and always invited other neighbors or friends from church over to join. I'm sure it's no coincidence then that his close friendships were truly close and when he died people told stories about their times with him and about parties he hosted or cooked for or the times he helped them, stories that covered spans of 50, 60, and 70 years.

My grandfather was a thoroughly good man who served his country, his community, and his family well and in his own, selfless quiet way. I'm thinking of him this Veterans Day weekend as my wife and I plan a neighborhood pre-Thanksgiving feast for next weekend and honor his legacy by cooking for others. I'm thankful for him and for all the veterans here in the Pit who have devoted time, talent, treasure and blood to served our country.

In any event, I realized in cooking my first ribs on July 4th this summer that I was overcome by a very deep sadness. (Seriously, how could you be sad with a slab of pork ribs in front of you!?) But man. I could totally picture him devouring those ribs and fighting my 12 year old over the last half rack and the last bit of cole slaw. They were good. Really good. i wish he'd been there to have them (or my wings). And, seeing how much people enjoyed being together and eating good food cooked over (or near) fire, I learned very quickly why my grandfather loved to cook for people and understood a little better what Meathead means at the end of his videos when he says cooking is an act of love, and it's not what's on the table but who's in the seats that counts. I love cooking for my family and friends, but sometimes wish he was there to kill some ribs with me. (Though, as my wife will attest being a native of Alabama and loving good BBQ, having something amazing on the table doesn't hurt either! Posts on my fave BBQ joints in Birmingham, AL to come at some point in the future.)

Since my original post, I've purchased a home in the DC area and a Weber Kettle 26. The house has a patio and a very dated outdoor kitchen (with some rusted out Fire Magic drop ins) that will eventually be replaced. I'm certain I'll solicit thoughts on the redesign when I have the funds pulled together for that project! I just recently added a Slow n Sear 2.0 (wanted to see if the standard size could work so I could preserve the awesome real estate on the 26er). So far so good, though I'm going to switch fuel from KBB to Weber briquettes - testing commences tonight. The KBB ash is causing me some headaches. I use a Thermoworks Smoke thermometer which is serving me well thus far with a slight mod to add a hole for the probe, though I may add a Dot as I've branched into cooking multiple hunks of meat at a time (see this recent comment about my chuck and pork butt, which also shows my setup).

No MCS (yet), but I think Mrs. Karchy would appreciate having a gasser on the patio. So, I'm on the hunt for a sweet CL deal on a good gas grill. Using what I've been learning here at AR, I've made the best steaks I've ever had, chuck roasts, pulled pork, full chicken, ribs (st louis), chicken wings, burgers, brats, smoked nuts, smoked olives... it's becoming a real passion. And really fun.

I am very thankful for this community and hope to continuing get to know you all more and learn more from you.

Thanks for letting me be a part!

We are pleased to have you in the Pit! I can tell that your grandfather was special to you, and that your post was part of your grieving process. God bless!

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that’s right and thanks for understanding!

Welcome again, nice post! You'll love that 26".

Comment

Welcome back! Love the reintroduction... and congrats on the 26 kettle. Love mine!!!

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks rwalters! It’s really a great grill!

Great story. Keep up the good cooking in memory of your grandfather.

Comment

Great to have you. We appreciate your continued support!

Thank you for this post, it is always great to hear how food and family have come together. I was never a good cook while my mother was alive, but she always pushed me to have fun while cooking, I wish she was around to share some of the stuff I make now. Especially on the holidays, which was her favorite time to cook. I think she would be proud.

I love how your grandfather only made ribs, wings and omelettes. There is nothing wrong with that! That is kind of like what I do, I have a saying, "I don't do sides." I will make the main course, but I am not gonna mess around with sides, I have better things to worry about.

Great post, congrats on the New 26", and Keep the smoke rollin'

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t blame you one bit. However I do love making sides too. The perfect coleslaw or potato salad!? Yum.

This is a great post and a wonderful tribute to your grandfather, thanks for sharing a little bit of your life. I'm a bit of a US history buff and if you're interested in what your grandfather might have experienced in WWII then read "Guadalcanal Diary" or perhaps "With The Old Breed". If you do pick these up, be prepared for some brutally honest accounts, especially from With The Old Breed, they can be chilling.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I actually have both of those, as well as a set of records my grandfather’s fellow veterans put together of pictures and diary entries, letters and the like. Planning to pull some out when I’m done current book.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel very fortunate to have grown up with many of these men (and women) as role models. Truly the Greatest Generation.

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - well put and couldn’t agree more!

Welcome back to The Pit. A very enjoyable intro too.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB. Went to college at University of Richmond. Love that area!

Welcome back, nice story !!

Comment

Wonderful things are in store for those around you with that 26 & SnS. It is what it’s all about, cooking for others. Continue to eat good & have fun!

Comment

First, thank you for the great read. Welcome back and I am jealous. You are a very lucky man. I never knew either of my grandfathers and you have a 26" kettle.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      And you have a 26” kettle. 👍

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I do love that grill! Thanks guys!

That is a very warm, an deeply touchin story, an I thank ya fer sharin here with us...

So glad to see ya back active, an lookin forward to hearin lots more from yer cookin adventure...

P.S.: Don't ya fret none...yer Grandpa is right there with ya, every cook! Reckon ya probly know that, though, by th sound of things...

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I surely do!

I’ve been out of the pit for a while but YOU SIR!!! Remind me of why I defend the pit so vigorously!

My 26” brother. THANK YOU!

PIT PEOPLE ROCK!!!

I got got you back on the 26” and anything else law you need!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, WTF my Brother? I was thinking I might need to bomb on down The 5 and see what the heck was up!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea welcome back to you Homes, where u been?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Just been SUPER busy at work and have not cooked anything outside in a while.

Love it. Thanks @HouseHomey!! I’m quickly learning how cool a place it is!

Comment

Lost my grandfather one year ago. He was 93 and up until he got sick was still walking three miles a day with his dogs. I was friends with that man for 48 years, and I was really fortunate to have him around that long. After he passed I got a dog. I named the dog Roy. It was either Roy or Grandpa, and I thought Roy sounded better for a dog's name. Every time I say my dog's name, I think fondly of him. May your grief eventually turn into pleasant memories and a realization that he's still a part of you!

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
        KarchyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise mrteddyprincess. I’m sorry for your loss and thanks for your kind words

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here