Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some feedback on remote thermometers for my HORIZON STICK BURNER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some feedback on remote thermometers for my HORIZON STICK BURNER

I have a Maverick Redi-check ET 732 that I purchased a few years ago, and the range is a disaster. I'm sitting on my deck, about 35 feet from the transmitter and the receiver looses signal. HMMM, check and replace batteries.........nope. Check and recheck probes......nope. Check Amazingribs.com for advise on a WIFI thermometer. Anybody had a good experience with a quality product?

Welcome to the Pit!
    The Thermoworks Smoke is nice and has a little better range than a Mav.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'm looking forward to connecting with everyone!

I have a Thermoworks Smoke, and I am quite pleased with it. I have read a lot of folks here love their Fireboards as well. I ditched my Maverick after getting the Smoke.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I suspected, the Mav worked fine for the first few years, but now, even with all fresh batteries, I can't get any range. Thanks for the recommendation.

I went back to Maverick after using the Smoke, so I guess just like with vehicles you can have good results or bad with any choice.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, that's what I'm trying to avoid.
      I'm trying to buy once and cry once.

My Maverick has a pretty good range. But if and when I upgrade I'm going WiFi.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my thoughts also.

Welcome to fun and learning!

My Maverick has great range, but since I’ve got the Fireboard, I haven’t used my Maverick at all!

The Fireboard starts with a Bluetooth connection to your phone so that it can learn the WiFi password. Once it’s connected to WiFi, your temperature data is accessible from anywhere. Including the store in the next town, or at work!

The Fireboard can connect to up to 6 probes and I’ve used everyone of them. It’s a great product.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Great comments!

The Fireboard is an excellent thermometer. You can monitor your cook while you are picking up a few extra things at the supermarket.

Comment

• Dutchman328
      Dutchman328 commented
      Editing a comment
      I may never have to be that far away, but it's nice to have the option if you find that you have to.
      Thanks!

Welcome from Indiana.

Im still a Maverick and their evil twin Ivation fan. I will one day cough up the money for a smoke or fire board though...

Just curious if it is a few years old if it finally is giving out or just needs a battery swap

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      What's the deal with Ivation? Are they separate companies? Are the probes interchangeable?

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack Ivation is a re-brand of Mav and yes the probes interchange.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been seeing an Ivation set on craigslist for $10. It does not have the food probe but I have an extra Maverick one. Maybe I'll have to scoop it up. Would be nice to have another remote thermo for $10.

Thank you all for your comments and imput, it really helps !
    And Hello from Michigan!

Comment

Dutchman328, Welcome to "The Pit"❗️ Has anything changed between Your Mav et-732 Transmitter and Receiver❓ Steel Siding❓ Fence ❓ Or❓ I have a Mav et-733, Steel Siding and I have not had Distance Problems! The only Difficulty I have had is I am "NOT TECH SAVVY" Enough to Reset The Temps and Alarms❓ I acquired a FireBoard w/6 Probes as a Kickstarter Product before Thanksgiving a Year Ago‼️ 👍👍👍👍👍 "Very Happy"❗️
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I would highly recommend the Fireboard. As noted by others, you can monitor your pit temps from anywhere on earth because of the combination of local WiFi connectivity and using a "cloud" solution to connect your smartphone and Fireboard with each other on the internet.

Here’s a link to an extensive review of the Fireboard that I wrote. Then tons of other folks chimed in and contributed their own input. I think it’s one of the most comprehensive remote thermometer reviews you can find anywhere and totally community built. :-)

I got a Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition for Christmas. My wife knew I wanted one. She also, I'm pretty sure, is tired of me complaining about not having enough

Comment

• Dutchman328
          Dutchman328 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, I'll check it out.

Welcome aboard! I don't have a WiFi thermometer but if I did (when I do) it would be the Fireboard. I check their website periodically looking for the addition of a fan which is supposedly coming.
        Last edited by fuzzydaddy; October 10, 2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          fuzzydaddy, THE SOONER THE BETTER, IMHOP‼️ Were You and Your Mrs. able to Keep Your Feet Dry during the Recent Hurricanes❓ I Certainly Hope So‼️ 👍👍👍👍👍 🤗😇🤗 👍👍👍👍👍
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Danjohnston949 we had no damage from the hurricane; just a lot of wind and rain. Thank you for asking!

I'm happy with the Tappecue thermometer system and I'd be comfortable recommending it to anyone. Great customer service as well.

Comment

Thank you all for the feed back ! I took the advice of the majority of responses and ordered the Fireboard. I'll let everyone know what my experiences are with it !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here