Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You had me at "spatchcocking"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You had me at "spatchcocking"!

I bought my first Weber kettle grill in 1980 and still use a Weber kettle to this day. Having experimented with different grilling techniques and barbecue methods I found myself looking for more ideas. Enter AmazingRibs.com and the awesome information cataloged here. I'm not going to BS you, I've barely scratched the surface of this place but it is paying off with great dividends.

I grilled my 1st Thanksgiving turkey in 1982 and have grilled a turkey every year since. I've used rubs, brines, smoker chips, I've done direct and indirect cooking, but I can truthfully say I've never SPATCHCOCKED by bird. Mind you, I have butterflied chickens many times and that is my preferred method, unless I'm grilling parts. So this is the year of the "OldGoat Spatchcocked Grilled Turkey"!

It is nice to have found a website totally devoted to "wood cooked" meat. I don't grill as much as I used too, but I'm making the swing back around to grilling more. Because of this great site, and all the information that is so freely shared, I'm going to foray into the realm of "smoking" and "barbecuing" and will be buying my first smoker cooker.

I'll try to remember to share my successes and my failures as I go about plying some new methods. I'm undecided as to what my first smoker / barbecue pit will be. There's a lot of press on the "Big Green Egg" which seems to carry a Big GREEN price tag and a friend of mine up in the "Windy City" has touted his Komodo cooker. Then there's the "wannabe" metalworker which is considering picking up some old barrels and getting out my hot wrench. Suffice it to say I'm considering all options.

Thank you to everyone that contributes to this site it has been an eye opening experience, one that this OldGoat is truly enjoying. Peace!

Mike H. aka: OldGoat58
    Fairless Hills, PA

Welcome OldGoat58

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Mike!!!

Comment

Greetings, Mike ... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

A big Minnesota welcome!! We are happy to have you here. iF your checking out barrel smokers, The PBC is the best on the market. (In my opinion) And Dollar for Dollar the best smoker out there.

Kamados are also great cookers as well. I have a Broil King Keg. And I love it. Its made of steel (wont shatter) portable and cooks like a dream.

If you want to go the Ceramic route, I would look at Kamado Joe or Primo. Kamado Joe is a ceramic cooker that offers a bit higher price tag but you get almost everything you need included, unlike BGE, where you have to buy a lot of accessories piece meal. Primo also offers a unique set up. Because of the unique oval shape, you can have truly indirect cooking.

Here is a link to a badass Kamado thread that has everything you need to master one of these rigs.
          https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-savage-kamado

Let us know what you end up with.

Comment

WElcome to the pit! I gotta plug my two favorite backyard cookers .... First, I have a Hasty-Bake Gourmet. It's an awesome multi-purpose grill that can do anything from low and slow for hours on end (I've turned out some fantastic ribs and pork butts on it) to very direct, intense heat. Fantastic grill for cooking things like Tri-Tip, and turning out perfect NY Strips every time.

Second, I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" .... pure smoker, but it is a beast. I've had 6 racks of ribs on it, all laid flat. It can go 14-15 hours at 250 degrees without needing more charcoal. In fact, I'm cooking a brisket on it right now. Started that at midnight, I'm 10 hours in. Temp is running at 245 right now, charcoal is holding just fine and the brisket is smelling and looking insanely great.

I love both cookers and would urge you to take a look at them. The Hasty-Bake has a price range kinda like a kamado. The WSM 22 is $399 list.

Comment

Oh, before I forget .... cooking turkey using Meathead's method results in turkey and gravy that is OFF THE HOOK great :-)

Comment

Welcome OldGoat58. Another popular setup is a Weber Kettle (22" Original Premium $150) and a Slow 'N Sear ($90). You can grill/smoke/sear pork butts, brisket, ribs, chicken, steaks, meatloaf, turkey, tri-tip, and the list goes on. Even if you later get a cooker with more capacity, ceramic, etc., this is a combo that you'll likely still use and enjoy. Hope to see you around often Mike!

Comment

Welcome OldGoat!

Comment

I picked up a large BGE in '02, and it was all I needed until we did a kitchen redo in '14 and needed something a bit quicker as an accomplice (TEC Cherokee FR infrared gasser).

I like having both. The BGE is very versatile. But I'd also take Spinaker s comment about the oval primo and 2 zone cooking seriously. Since I have the TEC for searing in conjuction with indirect on the BGE, I don't need it, but if you're using the smoker as your one and only, it's great advice.

Comment

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have a BGE, and PBC. I enjoy both and get great food out of each one. taming the komado link is great, but... As stated above dollar for dollar, learning curve ease, especially with all of the knowledge shared here the PBC is incredible. I'd recommend taking a good look at it. At under $300.00 shipped to your door hard to go wrong.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, OldGoat58 ! I'm glad yer here, lookin' forward to learnin' with, an' from ya!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit OldGoat58! Nice to meet you, that was a GREAT intro! Thanks for your support here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
                          1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can set or change your email on file with us by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                          2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here