Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello the amazingribs world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello the amazingribs world!

Thought I'd introduce myself. NVNomad's the name and good cooking is the attempted game. I love to cook up new recipes and perfect my old ones. I have a Kirkland 3 burner stainless steel grill along with a Smoke Hollow 44" propane smoker that I'm starting to use more and more instead of the grill. I signed up today for the Pit Crew because everything I read makes scientific sense and passes the taste test when I use it. I just purchased a Maverick ET-735 with an additional temperature probe for the smoker because I could not figure out why the stuff took so long to cook. Data garbage in means garbage (sort of) out because the temps were off by 20+ degrees.

So many toys and so many recipes to try. I just found a great place to buy choice through prime cut meats along with game meat. I think I'm gonna have some barbecuing and smoking fun while I try out these new skills.

... and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!!

Sweet pick up on that Mav.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome NVNomad .... Yep, the Maverick makes a huge difference. I have a Hasty-Bake Gourmet ... Pretty high end charcoal grill. But it has a cheap bi-metal thermometer in the hood. Here's a shot of the cheap thermometer vs. the Maverick ET-732 grill probe, just to make clear how bad the garbage in/garbage out issue is

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	209705

Comment

Welcome to the Pit NVNomad ... Reading your introduction I can tell you're going to fit in. However... Be careful!

New Pit members sometimes get carried away seeing all kinds of new cookers and gadgets other Pit members are using. You can get "MCS" to the point that your family life can be challenged.🤔

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ooker-syndrome
            Last edited by Breadhead; August 16, 2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              MCS? Whatever do you mean?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Click on the link I posted above...😆

Welcome NVNomad

Comment

Welcome!

You are obviously a programmer, what language? I've been earning my living slinging Perl for the last 25 years (yes, you will find me on CPAN and perlmonks). Cut my teeth on machine language back in the 70s, then assembly and C in the 80s. What part of Nevada are you in? I'm in North Las Vegas.

Sounds like you are on your way to a stick-burner, the One True BBQ.
              Last edited by boftx; August 16, 2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• NVNomad
                NVNomad commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry boftx I'm just a network/admin geek nothing as esoteric as programming although I can whistle the tune in a couple of languages. Reno area is where I rest my head as my blood is too thick to handle the summers in Lav Vegas. AS to the stick burner.... Gas is convenient & I want to stay married!

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                NVNomad just remember that passing too much gas at night won't help the marriage. (But you gotta pull the covers over her head at least once.)

Welcome to The Pit NVNomad. It's great to have you here and thank you for your support. Do you have any favorites to cook?

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                I see that you posted your issue over on the post migration thread and that's what I would have said to do. Thanks! Sorry for the problem. See you around!

• NVNomad
                NVNomad commented
                Editing a comment
                Beef Rib's, Tri-Tip, Brisket in the smoker. Now I'm beginning to see my grill as less useful than I thought. But Rib-eye steak, burgers and rotisserie leg of Lamb will stay on the grill. Now reverse searing...

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Would love to see some photos. Yummy.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the addiction!

Comment

A saying around these parts is, "ya ain't cooked nothin without pics". Better pay attention to Dr. Breadheads remarks about MCS. It sounds like you are on the way with that affliction. Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride!

Comment

NVNomad, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
                    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit NVNomad! It's nice to have you here, and thank you for your support.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. Enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here