Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member with $24 question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member with $24 question!

Add one more grille addict to the list.

I am in the far north of Gila County, Arizona, and have had a BBQ my whole adult life. Almost always a Weber, always charcoal. Never have had gas. At various times in my life I've thought I know how to cook on the grille, only to be disappointed in the results. (can you say 'Chicken Jerky'?)

Looking for a Dutch Oven recipe of some sort, I ran across this site, and spent days absorbing everything I could, while trying to look between all the ads and invitations to join the Pit. Thermometers! Smoking! Charcoal Chimney! Smokenator! Slow N Sear! Rubs!

I finally realized that I really need to know about all these things if my outdoor cooking is going to improve, so I got out the credit card.

And, now that I've spent the 24 bucks, here is the $24 Question: Which to add to my Weber Performer? The Smokenator, or the Slow N Sear. Both seem to be a good addition, but really, if you all had to do it again, which would you choose, if you had budget for only one?

No matter which, I think the addition of the Hovergrille is a good idea...what say you?

OK, I've got a chunk of pork shoulder in the Dutch Oven (in the kitchen oven) just about finished turning itself into pulled pork, so I gotta go.

I'll check back later for the answers to the $24 Question!

doug

SnS is the only option. I've owed both. I threw the smokenator away when I got an SnS. Which BTW I own 3 of now.

Hover grill? I say save your money IMHO.

Oh and welcome to the pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit ... and +1 for the SnS.

Comment

Welcome GilaMonster

Comment

Welcome to The Pit GilaMonster! We're glad you're. I will also +1 the Slow 'N Sear but should caveat that with the fact that I own the company that sales the Slow 'N Sear. A couple of years ago Huskee and I were sharing our frustrations with the then current offerings on the market and wondered, "why can't there be an accessory for the kettle that delivers smoking and searing awesomeness without limitations?" Soon after that the Slow 'N Sear was born, and it's been a crazy ride ever since.

Comment

Read the reviews of SnS on this Forum. It gets rave reviews. RAVE!!!!

Comment

Don't think you need anything to make things pretty good. But I use the SnS too. Get a good digital thermometer for both meat and at cooking level. Temperature control is really important.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! My son has a 26" Weber and loves his SnS. Go with the SnS. I think you will find it easier than the smoke actor.
                Last edited by LA Pork Butt; February 21, 2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, and for the SNS advice. Just read much of the SNS sub-forum, and looked at the pictures, and read the head-to-head report. I think it's an easy decision -- ordering my SNS right now!

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome, GilaMonster !

You're going to LOVE the SnS! I never had the smokenator, but LOVE the SnS! Except for large cooks, the SnS has essentially retired mu WSM!.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing of your SnS experience!

Welcome to The Pit GilaMonster! Glad to have you here. On a side note my boys love gila monsters, they're their favorite animal right now since they watched the PBS Kids' show "Wild Kratts" and seen it highlighted. Anyway back on subject, I think you'll love the SnS, it really is a wonderful tool.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

GilaMonster, Welcome to The Pit! If you haven't noticed this Crowd is Predjudised, of coarse you need a S 'n S, at least a Maverick 732/733 Dual Probe Digital Thermometer, a Thermopen Instant Read Digital Thermometer, and probably an Auber or DigiQ Temp Control for Your Weber! But it is Better to Have More Than One Weber! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

GilaMonster welcome to The Pit! I have the SnS for my 26" Weber and I love it. As far as the Smokenator goes, I have never owned own so I can't comment one way or the other. I used 2 firebricks and a loaf pan for water before I bought the SnS and now I wish I wouldn't have been so stubborn to think there was no way the SnS would work better than my setup. All I know is, if you opt for the SnS you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Coming from someone that had a Smokenator and the SnS. SnS is by far superior! It is much easier to use in all aspects. Stacking the briquettes in the Smokenator was a pain, the SnS you just dump them in. Same goes for refueling for longer cooks. Attempting to move the Smokernator and add more coals was nothing short of a pain in the ass, plus all the heat that's getting generated. Also the water system is much easier use on the SnS, I will say make sure you don't pour cold water in the SnS after it has been lit for awhile, otherwise the trough becomes warped (experienced it myself Doh!) Plus you got the guys that invented the thing here to ask questions to directly, customer service can't get much better than that.

Comment

Welcome aboard GilaMonster. I've owned the Smokenator and the Slow 'N Sear and it's good to see that you've ordered the SnS. I bought the SnS because I trusted David Parrish and what he promised it would deliver. I love and use the SnS because of how it performs. I have one in both my 22" and 26" kettles.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit GilaMonster ...

I've always been a Big Green Egg guy.

However... Once I saw everyone on AR raving about how good this new Slow n Sear product was I finally said I have to get me one of those.😆

Then I remembered that I don't even own a Weber Kettle so why in the world do I think I need a SnS?

I solved that problem by buying a 26" Weber Kettle & the Slow n Sear at the same time😏.

I clicked on the kettle before the SnS so I didn't feel guilty.😎

Side note: The REAL VALUE of the $24 you just invested to further your BBQ hobby is not the information listed on the website. That's there for free.

You will find over time that having 8000 to 10,000 people to trade ideas with and get really valuable input from those that have already perfected what you're currently trying to learn is priceless.
                            Last edited by Breadhead; February 15, 2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                              richinlbrg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You're gonna be a very happy guy!

The SnS has retired my beloved WSM except for big cooks!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here