Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody use the gas burner attachment for the Ooni Karu or Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody use the gas burner attachment for the Ooni Karu or Pro?

Short story long, I'm considering buying an Ooni. If I were to buy, I'd be using it for the convenience of using gas, but I would spend the extra money for the wood option. Watching the videos on the Ooni site, it looks like the gas-only Karu puts out a "better" flame than the Karu or Pro when using the gas attachment. Anyone here have experience with the attachment? Thanks.

I am going to be watching this one closely. Looking at an Ooni also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
      I am going to be watching this one closely. Looking at an Ooni also.
      I'm also looking at the Roccbox, but the Karu is so much less expensive. Unless people chime in and say the Roccbox is far far superior, I'll be sticking with the Ooni, I think.

Comment

The karu is great. The gas attachment doesn’t get as hot as the wood. I used it once.
        And if you have wood chunks lying around for smoking, the wood mode is just as easy.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think maybe 600F. . But it takes a long time And we were impatient so we went ahead and they turned out ok.
          With the wood mode you can get there in ~15 minutes and it goes up from there. Wood also heats with the front door closed so more even stone heat.

One tip with wood: smaller pieces= more airflow and more surface area so hotter temperature oven faster. You do need to rotate the pie because the top cooks faster toward the back. The stone is pretty even with wood mode.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Was there a learning curve for using wood? Or just load in small pieces and let 'er rip?

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          For the wood you need to let it first burn through Most of a full hopper (which is just a few chunks) then add more before each pie to maintain.

It’s not hard at all. You do have to give the stone some time to heat up. Use an IR thermo to tell when the stone is ready.

I've been looking at the ooni oven alot to, i would have to go with the koda 16 i think, due to the extra space and how the fire runs in an L shape , FWIW.
        also kenji Lopez has a great video on youtube comparing the koda 16 to the roccbox.
        good luck and let us know what you choose, i don't think you can go to wrong with any!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I won't swear by it, but I'm pretty sure the Pro can do a 16" pie too.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall Thanks! I'll check out the video.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis