Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody use the gas burner attachment for the Ooni Karu or Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody use the gas burner attachment for the Ooni Karu or Pro?

Short story long, I'm considering buying an Ooni. If I were to buy, I'd be using it for the convenience of using gas, but I would spend the extra money for the wood option. Watching the videos on the Ooni site, it looks like the gas-only Karu puts out a "better" flame than the Karu or Pro when using the gas attachment. Anyone here have experience with the attachment? Thanks.

I am going to be watching this one closely. Looking at an Ooni also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
      I am going to be watching this one closely. Looking at an Ooni also.
      I'm also looking at the Roccbox, but the Karu is so much less expensive. Unless people chime in and say the Roccbox is far far superior, I'll be sticking with the Ooni, I think.

Comment

The karu is great. The gas attachment doesn’t get as hot as the wood. I used it once.
        And if you have wood chunks lying around for smoking, the wood mode is just as easy.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think maybe 600F. . But it takes a long time And we were impatient so we went ahead and they turned out ok.
          With the wood mode you can get there in ~15 minutes and it goes up from there. Wood also heats with the front door closed so more even stone heat.

One tip with wood: smaller pieces= more airflow and more surface area so hotter temperature oven faster. You do need to rotate the pie because the top cooks faster toward the back. The stone is pretty even with wood mode.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Was there a learning curve for using wood? Or just load in small pieces and let 'er rip?

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          For the wood you need to let it first burn through Most of a full hopper (which is just a few chunks) then add more before each pie to maintain.

It’s not hard at all. You do have to give the stone some time to heat up. Use an IR thermo to tell when the stone is ready.

I've been looking at the ooni oven alot to, i would have to go with the koda 16 i think, due to the extra space and how the fire runs in an L shape , FWIW.
        also kenji Lopez has a great video on youtube comparing the koda 16 to the roccbox.
        good luck and let us know what you choose, i don't think you can go to wrong with any!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I won't swear by it, but I'm pretty sure the Pro can do a 16" pie too.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall Thanks! I'll check out the video.

I bought the ooni Fyra multi fuel 12 inch...this thing gets hot..I had it up to 950...taking me a while to learn this thing...it will produce great pizzas..
        plus kids had a ball helping
        Attached Files

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          The Ooni Frya is pellets only for fuel, did you mean to post that you bought the Karu multi-fuel?

All I know is that my gas-powered Blackstone Pizza oven reaches 900f in 10 minutes and cooks a pizza in about 3 minutes. I can't believe that 3 minutes of wood smoke will impart any wood-fired flavor. Therefore I think gas-powered pizza ovens are superior in performance.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment

• grillinglousiana
          grillinglousiana commented
          Editing a comment
          Before this ooni I cooked pizza,calzones on my green egg,barrel house cooker,weber 22,..but the best until now was the 560 Masterbuilt..yes this ooni will indeed put wood smoke into whatever u are cooking...about 1 minute to maybe 11/2 ...I have also ordered there cast iron pans ..and will be testing them out shortly.
          the fire heats up the stone..and the flames..come all the way across the pizza...great care must be used or u will super char pizza..like a new blacktop road..

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My guess is what you taste is char. Pizza ovens are well ventilated and not designed to produce smoke. 90 seconds in an environment like that does not seem likely to impart smoke flavor to me. I eat pizza from commercial wood-fired ovens and pizza from my propane oven and I do not think the flavor is more smokey from the wood ovens. But that's just my educated opinion.

I ended up buying a Roccbox in June. Love the thing, but definitely a learning curve (which has been fun). It was a difficult decision choosing between that and the Ooni, but in the end (whether it makes sense or not), I decided I wanted an oven that was made for gas, but I could use a wood attachment for fun. If I remember correctly, the Ooni Koda could not use a wood attachment, and the flame from the gas attachment didn't look as effective as the gas burner on the Koda. Not sure if anything I just said makes sense. As far as wood versus gas, I agree with Attjack. My opinion is you don't get smoke flavor from the wood, just delicious taste of char. And it's much easier to manage gas, so that's what I use most of the time. But I'm a guy who loves a live wood fire, so what I usually do is cook two pies using the gas burner, then I remove the gas burner, put in the wood burner, then light it up. While I'm cutting the first two pizzas for my family, the wood gets going and then I cook the last pizza. And the stone floor is already saturated with heat from the first two cooks, so I don't have to use a lot of wood to heat the thing up. In the end, it's all delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here