Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash screen!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash screen!!??

Hello all.. as a new KBQ user I have struggled some with a little toooo much ash in the smoke box, especially if I leave the top port open for heavy smoke flavor. Before my last smoke I covered both open ports with a 40 mesh stainless steel wire screen, which seemed to work well. I placed a 14" by 5" piece of mesh screen along the inside of the firebox end-wall, covering the port openings. I got good smoke and air flow, and far less fly ash in the smoke box..

I am concerned tho that this screen might somehow effect the function and working of the smoker.. Any thoughts or experience with such a screen device??? Any reason why this could cause problems??? Any other ash solutions?? thanks

I would not worry about it, unless you struggle to get up to temp. Interesting idea - please let us know how it holds up over time!

Comment

Interesting idea. Not sure it it would effect it too much. 40 mesh likely blocks around 30-50% so your fan might stay on longer. As Bill said, might slow down the KBQ getting up to temp.

As far as experience - I did try an experiment once with 1/4" welded cage wire. I wanted to see if I could maintain a better coal bed by putting the mesh over the larger holes on the bottom of the firebox.
      I can say without a doubt my coal bed lasted a lot longer and was always fairly deep. KBQ kept the temps fine.
      That was the good news. Now, the not so good news (and Bill K, don't shoot me!). The next day I went to clean up the firebox and noticed that the tray (where the mesh was) had warped... Not a lot but noticeable. I got the tray back to flat (with the help of a larger hammer). Gave up on the experiment. Fail ;-)

Comment

rscurry When adding wood or fluffing the coal bed are the fans off? If you are doing either with the fan running you are sure to get ash sucked in. Some KBQers have put in a switch, used a switched power cord, or just unplug the control box when adding wood or fluffing. If you haven't been powering off, try that. If you have, well just ignore this and hopefully your screens will be effective.

Comment

Good point ComfortablyNumb . BBQBill posted this one a while back. I ordered one and it works great!:

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks to BBQ_Bill I too purchased one of those switches and it works excellent. Prior to that I'd just unplug when fluffing or adding wood as ComfortablyNumb stated above by doing this never had much of an ash issue.

In an experimental modification, I am attempting to eliminate the top poppet ash I am getting as well.
          Same deal rscurry, I was trying to get heavier smoke flavor using the top poppet and...
          basically ending up with quite a bit of ash as was clearly seen by my very white fans on the controller.
          -
          After I started opening the top poppet to the fully open position to get more flavor, this odd white color suddenly appeared.
          It was clear that the top poppet was the main culprit in regards to adding ash to the chamber below.
          -
          I decided to try to reduce ash in the cook-box, which seemed to land heavily on the point of my top brisket.
          And, noted that the very top rack towards the manifold would have the wire "grow" in diameter with this white-gray coating.
          My current 8-step procedure to continue to reduce ash but increase smoke flavor is as follows:
          When adding fresh wood...
          1) Firstly, completely close both poppets.
          2) Shut off the power.
          3) Lightly tamp down the coals.
          4) Add my fresh wood, cut to about 9" to 10" in length.
          5) Tamp the fresh wood down.
          6) Pry the fresh wood away from the top poppet area, and against the opposite end.
          7) Restore power.
          8) Open both poppets with the bottom one first to 3/4 open, and after about a minute or so, I would fully open the top poppet.
          Then, I would place the lid on to make sure the maximum amount of smoke was going down the top poppet.
          -
          Also, if "playing" with the coals, same as above.
          Basically do not mess with the coals nor wood without precautions being taken first.
          Still... white ash colored fans revealed that my careful procedure was not completely successful.
          -
          I am using seasoned mesquite, and this hardwood has the ability to add a great rich smoky flavor.
          -
          So...
          Frustrated with a lack of heavier smoke flavor without also adding ash, I have recently decided to eliminate the top poppet, closing and sealing it off completely, and trial an add-on modification to get a heavier smoke profile.
          Time will tell if this mod is good, bad, or just so so, and I will post the results and details here in this post as it will "fit" here nicely.
          Smoke On!
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 19, 2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

rscurry Reviving this old post. Wondering if you could share how the mesh screen over the port holes has worked over time to reduce ash in the cook box. Also, how you attached them to thr firebox (weld, screw, glue, etc). Thx.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here