Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

low and slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low and slow?

Father's Day is coming up and was considering the Karubeque. (Self presenting is always the best) The description says it likes to run at at a fairly hot temp. I've heard that low and slow is the best. I went from a low end propane smoker to a mid-line Master Built electric model so I could use a lower temp. So, what does the community think?

I cooked hamburgers and butterfly porkchops on the KBQ for lunch. I couldn’t get it to a higher temp and ending up cooking in the 250 degree range. I had it wide open. I used 1/2 post oak and 1/2 mesquite and the flavor profile was great. The KBQ can certainly run at much
    lower temperatures. The KBQ is great when I have all day around the house. I use a pellet smoker much more frequently. I have been experimenting with cooking on the pellet smoker around 275-300 until the bark is set and wrapping the meat and have had great results. I think I will try to use the KBQ more at a higher temp, wrap and put in a oven until done. I had traditionally cooked at 225. 275-275 definitely speeds up the cook. Feeding the KBQ every 25 minutes has prevented me from using it more frequently.

Comment

Ya better have lotsa wood.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        If I use 10 little chunks over 5 hours, that's more than usual.

There are many KBQ owners here in the Pitmaster Club, and I have never read anyone not loving the device. It will do low and slow just fine! Even the Pit Barrel Cooker, which likes to cook closer to the 300 range, does low and slow just fine. low and slow does not have to be 225, but is generally regarded as 200-275/300.

Comment

First, welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun.

If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like.

For jokes, go to this thread.

Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here.

We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

As a KBQ owner I can't say it ever runs at a "fairly hot temp" unless you are referring to the firebox, which runs at 1200F. The cook box is controlled by the fans, I keep it at around 225F. I checked www.kbq.us and don't see anything about running hot, in fact a FAQ was "Why am I struggling to get up to temperature?" To quote the review that is linked in the column to the right under 'Our Favourite Backyard Smoker', "
        C-60 is truly a dedicated smoker and likes to run in the 250° to 300° range
        , though some owners drop it down to 180 for smoking fish."

I suggest you read some of the other threads about the KBQ such as 'KBQ has landed' to see what it produces. One member here has at least two (maybe three by now) to smoke brisket for customers. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for the "KBQ has landed" thread! The entire 98-page read is worth it if you’re considering. Actually, if you don’t want to buy one don’t read it...can’t imagine not GASsing for one after reading it!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here