Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature probes and wire routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature probes and wire routing

What temperature probes are you guys using with your KBQ, and how are you routing them into the cook box?

I have an older Maverick wireless, and the probes don't fit through the top corners as noted in the instruction manual. I'm not sure if other probes will fit through those holes better. I'm thinking about getting and installing one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC4TYQ5/

Any other solutions out there?

I use a Thermapen Air for the ambient temp, and put it in the port next to the controller. No meat probes unless I go in and check it with a regular Thermapen. I've observed over a number of cooks that when the meat is about ready, you start to smell it outside the box, but not before. Uncanny!

Comment

• goldp18
      goldp18 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have noticed that, too! I haven't needed temp probes for chicken or ribs. Maybe because I am tending to the fire frequently enough that I can just open the door to take a peek or pop in a thermo. I want to do salmon soon so I will want better internal temp monitoring. It seems like the first thing to try is using the upper door corners. We will see!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck, and let us know what you learn!

My probes won't fit through the little holes in the corner either, however the door will close on the wires in the top corner without damage. I use the Smoke by Thermoworks.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checked your link, I'd advise against. Stainless is hard to drill, it will void your warranty, and really isn't necessary.

• goldp18
      goldp18 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know about the warranty, thanks! Maybe it will be a 2020 project once it runs out.

Spinaker may be able to help. I know he has a KBQ.

Comment

Sometimes it takes a village to sort out the wires.....

..... sorry don't own a KBQ.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        🤣🤣🤣

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Brother! I'd nearly forgotten how much I LOVE handlin Razor Wire

I use the top right hand corner of my cook box. There is a small gap where the door meets the corner. Just make sure not to shut your cables in the door, it fits so tight that the metal can cut the wires, or at least damage them.

The wires will not run through the little holes in the cook box corners. Installing probe ports is not a terrible idea. It would be helpful, but I don't think it is totally necessary.

You can see the wires I run, in the top right hand corner.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2320.jpeg
Views:	1243
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	623383

Comment

• goldp18
        goldp18 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the image! Pictures always help. Do you find it frustrating to open the door and have the wires fall, or have to rearrange them when you close the door?

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really. OTOH, I rarely open the door. Once to put the meat in place, and once more if I am going to use a crutch. Then at the end.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, opening the door is easy, they don't get in the way. When You are closing the door, simply hold them at a 45 degrees angle and close the door. There is actually a small notch that the wires will sit in. Like new2smokingsays, I rarely open the door once the meat is loaded. goldp18

I also run the wires over the top corner of the door. I think that was Mr. Karu’s intent. I use ThermoWorks Signals (4 channel) and Smoke (2 channels)

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper do you happen to have a picture for a reference? for some reason, Spinaker 's post above running them through the door/where the door closes on them offends my prior cooker sensibilities about "breaking the seal"... I know that isn't important with the KBQ but it still feels... weird

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll look for a photo, or go out and take one when I get home.

I use a ThermoPro TP 20 and run the wires in both top corners. ThermoPro has a great warranty and super customer service. I had a problem with one probe. I emailed them on Sunday night and had a new one by Friday.
      I would try to " worm" out the corner holes with a drill just enough to get your probe in, 1 probe per corner.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and pictures! I didn't consider looking for gaps in the door due to the instruction manual, but it looks like the top corners are the ticket.

I could still see ports being useful as I don't like having to mess with wires when I open or close a cooker. The next cook is likely salmon so I'll give it a shot. Maybe a little hook or eyelet to hold the wires as the door opens and closes would be useful...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D97F9FC9-C008-4F8A-85FC-23A55C7DFAAE.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1101391 Click image for larger version

Name:	16DCD56E-1B10-49D3-B28C-95CBCBE34FC6.jpeg
Views:	429
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1101390

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here