Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon advice

I have some salmon filets a friend brought back from a trip to Alaska. I have apple wood that I think would be good to use. I'd like to cook this for dinner this weekend. Any smoking suggestions with the KBQ?

I suggest you simply follow a good smoked salmon recipe, and here are two to start with: Meathead's or mine. As long as you can run your KBQ and follow the set temp goal, you'll love either! Don't overcook it!

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I just picked up a troll caught wild king salmon at Costco. I'm going to try your recipe this weekend!

Can't go wrong seasoning with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic. Then hot smoke at 225 until desired IT. I usually go for 140-145.

Comment

And here's a third method that I've found to be foolproof - if you have too much time on your hands (it was originally titled Smoked Fish Method by Three Men with Too Much Time on their Hands).

Comment

I don’t have a KBQ. I smoke my salmon on my egg. But I keep it super simple... salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and any other dried Italian spices I have in the cabinet. Lay it skin side down on my salt block(s) and run the egg around 275-325 or so, whatever it’s at I don’t stress about a certain temp. And cook it until done. It gets a touch of smoke and is amazing. Even my 1.5 year old daughter loves it!

Comment

I typically make a citrus glaze. 1/3c brown sugar, 2tbs lemon zest, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, give it all a spin in the food processor and paint it on the salmon every 10 min or so. 250 to 275 pit indirect for about 45 mi or until the internal temp is 145.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Looks like a rainy day today so no KBQ today for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here