Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ in less than a week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ in less than a week!

Ordered on Sunday, paid on Monday, and FedEx says it will be here on Thursday! If anybody is considering a KBQ and was worried about a long lead time, that seems to be a non-issue at present. Gotta find wood fast, as it looks like I'll be breaking in the big girl smoker this weekend -- unless I've got too much to do to get the boat ready for hauling on Monday. Maybe a couple of chickens on Sunday.

One really dumb question...what are the dimensions on a good hotel/catering pan for an inside bottom grease catcher?

Good to hear! I think you're really gonna like the KBQ

Comment

Congrats on the new toy.

Comment

Congrats! I can't help you with hotel pans, but I can suggest Fruita Wood chunks .com, their splits oughta work mighty fine if you need to order wood.

Comment

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea. I just shot them an email to see what I could get quickly. They seem to be able to ship 10 or 15lb. mini-splits for 2 - 3 day delivery. I'll see what they have to say.

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          Bert at Fruita Wood came through for me. Hickory will be here either Friday or Saturday. Pricer than locally sourced wood but what a selection! Already placed a follow-up order for an assortment of woods. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear it carolts! I've been using them since before Meathead had them listed in his wood supplier list, and I've never once been let down. Sure it aint cheap but they really aren't bad either compared to others, and their selection and wood quality is outstanding.

The "full size" pans work great!

I prefer the throwaway foil ones because they become a pain to clean, but the linked ones work great. Buy a couple - they're great for holding large briskets and injecting briskets and butts.

Comment

carolts do you have a bass pro near you? the one by me sells bbq mini logs that work great. MOST are the appropriate size. Just dont buy the apple ones, they were like $50 for the 45lb bag! The hickory and oak were either $19.99 or 24.99

Comment

Comment

They add another $18 to ship if you get them online :-/

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                There's one in Foxborough, but that's not particularly close. I have seen that brand from time to time at Home Depot and Walmart, but it's not cooking season according to them. I ordered some from Fruita and we'll see how that goes. I use the Western chunks now, so I have plenty of those.

• ribeyeguy
                ribeyeguy commented
                Editing a comment
                You won't be disappointed with Fruita.

Doesn't anybody in your area sell firewood???

Using those bags of chunks from the store is a pretty pricey way to fuel a KBQ or any other stick burner.

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                This is just some started wood until I get my source dialed in. It's peak firewood season right now, so smaller orders are of less interest. I have a place in mind that isn't too far a drive, once I get the boat put to bed.

Congrats carolts

Comment

You people are a bad influence...in a good way

Comment

carolts, Congratulations on Your New KBW Smoker! I think you should contact Spinaker he has a KBW and probably has 300-400 Cords of various Hardwoods and Fruit Wood Cut to the Proper Size?
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Congrats!! Once again, Welcome to the KBQ family!!! I would recommend finding a firewood dealer or checking Craig's list. Avoid buying wood at big box stores. Those bags of logs are dry as all get out and they get torched in the KBQ.

As for the wood,
                    I cut, spilt and store all of my own wood. I realize this isn't practical for everyone, so Fire wood dealers are a good place to start. But be wary. Most are probably honest people but some will try to rip you off. Its a good idea to educate yourself on what different types of wood look like. Bark and Grain pattern are the easiest way to tell. Knowing what to look for will help you avoid buying (or burning) pine or some other less desirable woods. Also, get a cheap moisture tester to see where the wood is at moisture wise. If you don't know how to tell otherwise. Such as, looking at ends of the wood for visible cracks. Or if the wood resonates when you knock two pieces together.
                    I would buy as much as you can store. Its cheaper, it gives time for the wood to fully dry out, if it hasn't already and you'll have plenty on hand. (trust me you gonna wanna use this baby A LOT)
                    I leave all of the logs at the standard 16 inches for storage. Then I cut them in half with a hand saw before the cook. Usually about 10-16" logs. I keep a hatchet on hand to split some of the larger pieces after I halve them. You can always use the Alligator saw thing KBQ recommends. Trying to cut logs that small with a chainsaw is too dangerous.

This is just how I do it. I'm sure others have more "civilized" ways of doing it.

*One thing I am gonna try is using a chop saw to cut the logs into smaller pieces. I would think it would work particularly well with cherry.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I definitely use the chop saw on my smoker wood, works great!

Claw side of a framing hammer, or a roofin hatchet, or just a hatchet, for splitting... kinda depends on which one is handy, at the time. Safety glasses!!!
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 11, 2016, 10:25 PM.

• carolts
                      carolts commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've found a bunch of potential sources, but limited variety centered around oak, apple, and maple. Certainly all good choices, but will still have to order out for things like hickory, mesquite, etc.

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You wont need Hickory or Mesquite. With Oak, Maple and Apple. You'll be good to go. carolts

Congrats! I imagine Spinaker will also have advice about the seasoning of the unit. I am looking forward to pictures of your creations.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
                      Congrats! I imagine Spinaker will also have advice about the seasoning of the unit. I am looking forward to pictures of your creations.
                      No seasoning needed my Friend. Just go!! That the great thing about Stainless.

Comment

• tbob4
                        tbob4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are going to get me in trouble with my wife. I've already spent too much on BBQ (she says) but the photos coming out of those units and reviews are amazing.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here