Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Built in to Outdoor Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ Built in to Outdoor Kitchen

Hi from Downunder

I have followed this thread for some time and always lusted after a KBQ, but being all the way on the other side of the world, just couldn't justify importing one. Randomly, one popped up on our Ebay equivalent. I could hardly believe it. Obviously I snapped it up. First cook last night was unbelievable. So easy. And, of course, the smoke and flavour everyone raves about was a revelation.

I have a dilemma now and I thought someone here might be able to help: I am in the middle of landscaping our entire section, including building in an outdoor kitchen. We live in the inner city, and so space is fairly limited, and I already have Grillworks architectural, SNS Kamado and a Le Griddle going into the outdoor kitchen.... but of course, now I can't build it without a space for the new number 1

Has anyone successfully built one into an outdoor kitchen? If so what was the setup like? I am imagining something akin to a Kamado ledge but for the KBQ, with a continuous concrete benchtop (back, bottom and sides of the ledge) to ensure the odd ember is contained on non-combustible surface. However front of all the cabinets and the island are timber. Would this be safe? Anyone done something like this?

I also live in one of the windiest cities in the world which doesn't help! I am only 30% through the sticky so apologies if this has been covered.

Thanks to everyone here for all their wisdom, made my first cook easier.
    Last edited by CALNZ; May 21, 2022, 04:45 PM.

Congrats and welcome to the posting side of The Pit. I can't help though.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

It might be really difficult to clean it. Most of us just roll it over the lawn or some place where the runoff from a pressure washer can soak in. Maybe you already of that?

I hope you find a way.

Comment

Welcome! I added you to the KBQ roll call list.

Mine sits out in the yard for easy cleaning, I can't help with advice for using it as a built in.

Comment

As per Bill;
          ​​​​​​
          • The Firebox is HOT, uses a semi-open flame, and will spark occasionally. It’s not advisable to use the pit when/where you wouldn’t build a small campfire (e.g., on a houseboat, on a wood deck, with unsupervised kids around, or during dry/windy weather).
          In addition, heed the warning on the Control Box.

I am about to embark upon my outdoor kitchen with a slot for the KBQ. It will sit on a shelf that will allow for the Draft Fans discharge to clear the counter top, perched on and surround by masonry, and not the "Free" type.

Comment

I don’t own one so I don’t have advice on the question you are asking. However, I noticed you are a trial member. You have what sounds like a lot to offer here. We are a fun group.

Comment

Hi All

Yep, I will pay up tbob4 just taking advantage of the free trial first as advertised (what do you know it works!)

Thanks for these thoughts all. Thats interesting Re the exhaust fans clearing counter top - makes sense and I hadn't thought of that. pretty sure that would be the same on this although I will check. The ledge in this design would add 16.5 inches in height from the ground to the bottom of the KBQ which would be good for food access.

Cleaning would not be an issue as I would just take it off the ledge and carry it over to an area very close by where it can easily be hosed out.

The main thing is just making sure it is not a fire risk. It is at least 30+ feet enough away from the house, so no issue there.

This is the basic design (showing two Kamado's on the ledge). I propose putting the SnS Kamado and the KBQ next to each other on this ledge (feels like a good combo; the kamado for warp 9 searing and taking over on long cooks). You can't tell from this, but the entire wall behind is concrete, as is the countertop/surface, so that is fine also. It is just the front of the cabinets are a timber detail. Plus some timber planters nearby.

I did wonder if having a lip on the ledge might contain any embers that fell from blowing off the edge and around the courtyard, but wouldn't be the best aesthetically and would have to make sure it drained properly.

I am probably overthinking it, but you know, you get one crack at this kind of thing.

Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the plans.

Just to add.... first cook on the KBQ was Chipotle & maple chicken breasts and reverse seared picanha. Couldn't believe how easy, and quick it was. And clean up a breeze with a drip pan.

I did find waiting for the coals to die before being able to put it away mildly inconvenient. Any clever ways to speed that up? Won't be such an issue when it has a permanent home.
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Glad to have you!

Comment

I am considering a maximum of 10" for the shelf elevation, as there is consideration in viewing the interior of the firebox, unless of course your are gargantuan of stature.
                  The shelf dimensions should allow for the recommended frontal catch pan, due to exfiltration of liquid by products, as per OEM design. An internal pan, of which you already incorporating, practically eliminates this negative aspect.
                  As to accelerating the extinguishing of the embers, ration your fuel to only that which is required to support your set point, remove your product and consume the remaining by continuing the operation of the unit at its maximum setting.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

Chiller Phil thanks !

I think the wood detail will be OK. Would you share your plans for the KBQ area of your kitchen? or maybe shelf dimensions if you prefer? - be super helpful to see u

great tip Re the clean up pan under the Kbq- I had forgotten about that as the pan inside has so far been all I have needed. I will have only about about 4 inches in front of it. I figure I can lift up the front legs and put a tray under the legs and forward of the front a bit to achieve to that.

im 6 foot on the button so not that tall I might lower it a bit but will have to balance that with getting the exhaust above the benchtop. I guess I can always stand oh the ledge if a look to the bottom of the firebox is needed. I did test it on a small table and it didn’t feel like the sight into it was too bad at that height - but to be sure I’ll get it as low as possible now.

thanks again. I’ll post some updates on the kitchen here for anyone else’s interest / and learning from my mistakes as I go !

Comment

New member here as well. Also designing an outdoor kitchen, and literally just ordered KBQ. Looking fwd to ideas for discussion.

Comment

Nice one.
                          I’m still working through mine. Unfortunately the person who Is doing the drawings for me is down with Covid at the moment so I’m not making much progress

My biggest concern at the moment is my current design work have any support for the door when it’s open so it would be hanging on its own weight when opened/ which I don’t think would be good for it long term.

Do you have a layout/design yet ? What else you got going in?

Comment

I'd talk to the KBQ folks. As I understand it, the firebox gets quite hot to the touch. As they say:
                            • Firebox surfaces reach 1,200F
                            • Sparks will fly. Don’t use during outdoor burn bans

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here