Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought new smoker and have some questions on configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the comments. I agree that it will not be an efficient smoker and will consume more fuel than I would like. I did take the advice of Mr. Bones and ran a couple of practice smokes just focused on fire management. The first lesson was that a moisture meter is your best friend as the "seasoned" wood that I was sold turned out to be less than advertised. Having appropriate wood certainly helps. I also found that with the correct wood I was able to get up to temp quicker and it held for a reasonable time. The temps front to back and side to side were within 5 degrees which I view as a positive. I am thinking the pipes coming up from the bottom may be for water pans --- any reason why I should not pursue that theory? This is truly more difficult than my MES but rewarding. Again --appreciate the comments.

Comment

That beast looks scary & bad ass at the same time! Do you think that you can run a fan with it? Looks like it might need help getting enough oxygen.
      Last edited by kenrobin; July 3, 2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

That looks more like abstract art than a smoker - its a face when seen from the front, and maybe an octopus from the back! It certainly wasn't designed with smoker efficiency in mind.

If you can put a water pan over the exhaust of the lower pipes, feel free - but most offset cookers don't use water pans. That's more of a bullet smoker or vertical charcoal smoker thing.

Hope you get it all worked out, and enjoy cooking on it.

Comment

If the temps are running even, and smoke is going from the firebox to the barrel....
          Let ER rip!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            10-4

That thing should be named The Octopusâ„¢

Seriously, cut that crap up and remount the firebox like Ahumadora says.

Or find a Flux Capacitor on Craig’s list, plug it in and travel to the future 😄

Comment

Wow, if H R Giger did smokers...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here