Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabricating a Parrilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm...can't wait to see the finished product...might need to show it to one of my brothers and have him make a couple. Because I'm sure he'll want one after he finishes mine. ;-)
    Last edited by surfdog; July 12, 2019, 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the way to go! I'll share my plans/measurements if you want. Just let me cook on it once or twice, that way I can let you know of any tweaks that may come up after having used it.

Ok, here are some photos from today's session. Good progress so far.

Here you can see the side walls tacked on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	parilla-1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	712806

Here I'm playing with the firebox details.

Name:	parilla-2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	712805

The firebox right 'wall' coming together

Name:	parilla-3.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	712807

Here's a shot from a different angle

Name:	parilla-4.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	712808

Here you can see my removable cross bar to hold the vertical bricks in place.

Simple, yet helpful should I ever have to replace any bricks. It's an L-shaped flat iron bar that rests on three hooks, sort of. I made the hooks from 1" square bars that I bent to a 90 degree angle.

Name:	parilla-5.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	712804

Next steps: fabricating the 'cradle' that goes into the firebox section. And the grill grates of course.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work. Make sure you paint it on the inside before install the firebrick.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, will do.

Great post! I've been thinking of making one myself but as a built-in with the brick pizza oven I want to build.

P.S. - the pics in post #2 are not showing up.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, I saw that. And when I try to edit the post I don't get the "upload pix" buttons. I'm just gonna have to leave it as is.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      And when I try to edit the post I don't get the "upload pix" buttons.
      Happens to me a lot, some sorta bug, jus drives me bugship, at times!!!
      Mebbe Ray can figger it out??? Please??? Henrik

Very nice! I have wanted to ask this question for some time now: can you give us a list of the things you can't do, since I believe that would be the shorter of the 2 lists.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha! Thanks Jim!

I forgot to tell you, Oak wood is great for live fire but when using the coals embersArgentine style it pretty much burns away to ash and does not leave much glowing coals. Mesquite is excellent but not sure what hardwoods you have in Sweden.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Great input. We sure don't have mesquite, I will have to check around. We have beech wood, and a ton of birch. I'm gonna use the latter.

The build continues. Today I got quite a lot done:

1. Welding a frame for a shelf below the grill area
    2. Welded support frame for the grill grates in place
    3. Fabricated the fire box (brasero)

Lots of work with many small cuts, adjustments, tweaks et.c. I did paint the firebox area today, mainly because it was easier to do before welding the firebox in place.

Here's the material for the firebox taking shape

Name:	parrilla-1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	713524

Sealing the ends of the firebox 'cage'

Name:	parrilla-2.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	713523

Here's the support frame for the grill grates, they can slide in/out just like a drawer in a chest of drawers.

Name:	parrilla-3.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	713522

And here's an overall shot.

Name:	parrilla-4.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	713525

As you can see in the photo above I drilled a bunch of holes (12) in the bottom. I figured if this grill is located outside I want rain water to drain easily. Not sure if it will work or not, but now the holes are there anyway :-)

I'm happy with how sturdy the firebox turned out. You can see the black paint also.

Left to do:

1. Grill grates
    2. Grinding (lots of it)
    3. Paint

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RickyBobby, I really enjoy it. And it isn't enormous either, I'm soon done.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if the holes might also help with the expansion/warping problem?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think so gcdmd, they’re too small. Plus they’re under a lot of bricks. I think the expansion will happen where the fire is, i.e. the logs/splits.

Great work Henrik. I'm pretty good building things with wood, but I don't think that would work for a cooker...

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      It might work for part of one cook, if you work fast.

From an old sheet metal guy, looking good. Looking forward to the first cook! or maybe the second.

Comment

Thanks for the updates Henrik. Really looking forward to seeing this bad boy, Hey there might just be a name for it right there, in action.

Comment

Alright, been out of town for a few days, so no fabrication. Plus I ran out of welding wire. I had a 5 kg bobin, but I've spent it all on lots of welding projects, so I had to get a new one :-)

So, after discussing with Ahumadora I decided to cut off my newly welded firebox 'cage', since it was made of square tube (not solid square bars). Sooner or later they would burn through, so I bit the bullet, bought a few meters of 20 mm (25/32 ") solid square bar, and cut and rewelded them. Turned out good. I upgraded from 3 to 4 also.

After that I sanded it all with my steel grinder, smoothing things out. I took it outside, blew it clean with my air compressor and then began wiping it down before painting.

I applied two layers of heat resistant paint, so waiting for it to dry. I think I will have to sand some parts and then touch up on the paint, but it is very close to done. I cut some of the fire bricks to fit, had to get an expensive diamond cutter disc. But it cut through those heat proof bricks like butter :-)

Here's me cutting through bricks with the diamond cutter disc. If you haven't tried the Bosch Pro (blue) series, I can highly recommend it. I've used plenty of power tools, and this one is killer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	parilla-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	717559

Here's an upfront shot

Click image for larger version  Name:	parilla-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.56 MB ID:	717560

Same same, but different angle

Click image for larger version  Name:	parilla-3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.18 MB ID:	717561

And here it is upside down, gotta get some paint on it there too

Click image for larger version  Name:	parilla-4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	717558

Oh, I almost forgot, I knocked up fire grates too, that slide in/out. They are not in any photo. Will show it next time. No big thing to see.

So, left to do:
      1. Sand and touch up on paint where needed
      2. Place bricks in it
      3. Fire it up!

Hopefully I can fire it up tomorrow evening, but not sure yet. We'll see, I'll report back.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Again, this is a seriously cool project!!! I can’t wait to see pictures of your first cook. Careful though, if your students catch a glimpse of this bad boy, you may have to build a few more and run another class!!! Intro to cooking on your kettles, intermediate cooking on your Parrilla, and an expert level class on Rude Boy! I’d take those courses!!! πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
        Last edited by RickyBobby; July 20, 2019, 01:00 PM. Reason: Correcting the auto correct induced errors....

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        RickyBobby, I like the way you think!

Man, that is a nice piece of equipment. Bet it will be a lot of fun to cook on. Great job!!!

Comment

Slap the firebricks in it and get some fire going!!! The paint will dry faster with the heat You can also use heavy lodge pans directly over the firebox for when you want a real sear....

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m a big fan of cast iron over direct heat. Perfect for both smash burgers and searing Kobe beefs :-)

That is a well done KA project !

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! What does KA stand for?

• Greygoose
          Greygoose commented
          Editing a comment
          KICK ASS !!!!!!
          as in Amazing ,great project
          Which this project is

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha! Thanks again!

So, the weather is against me. It's absolutely pouring down, so no grilling today. I took the opportunity to fabricate a shovel for moving coals around, I'm gonna need one, and it only took 20 minutes to make it. Not too fancy, but how fancy can a shovel be? A little 2 mm sheet metal, some sawing, bending and welding and voila!

Name:	Shovel.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	718013

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          20 months to make that?
          Heck, even I could have done that in just under a year.
          Oh wait...that said 20 minutes. Never mind.

So the $99.99 price includes shipping to the US?πŸ™‚
        Really nice job. I may have to pull out the MIG when it gets cooler here, start the project and then let my sons finish it for me.πŸ€”

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here