Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dare I say it... Electric Flat-Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dare I say it... Electric Flat-Top

Hello all,
    I’m in the process of equipping an outdoor kitchen.
    The entire area will have a roof and the equipment will be protected from moisture with the exception of Minnesota temperature and humidity swings. I did a quick search on the site and was surprised that I didn’t find one thread about electric flat-tops. We don’t have natural gas and running a 220 line was a snap because the kitchen replaces what used to be a hot tub deck (the hot tub required 220v). Propane tanks are a bit of a pain and there are a bunch of 220v flat-tops out there. My issue is that prices range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars without a lot of info about what the extra money buys you.
    Does anyone have any experience with an electric flat-top or know where to get more consumer reviews?
    Open to all opinions as well. I have a Blackstone but "building in" a Blackstone doesn’t look like the best option.

Thanks

I do not have experience with these type flat tops so your question really sparked my interest. Boy, there really is a price range. I found this starting point that might help, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gui...ing-guide.html , as it does talk some about construction types and features. Please let us know what you find out.

Comment

I know Blackstone has just released at least one model.

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
        I do not have experience with these type flat tops so your question really sparked my interest. Boy, there really is a price range. I found this starting point that might help, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gui...ing-guide.html , as it does talk some about construction types and features. Please let us know what you find out.
        This was very helpful. I looked at products on this site but didn’t see the buyers guide.
        One thing that really jumped out is that if you are cooking primarily breakfast items that a thinner plate will be best (our typical situation) whereas a restaurant handling large volumes or frozen meats may need a thicker plate with more heat retention.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That link IS the buying guide. It just tells you the types of griddles and why to choose them.

I see a lot of affordable counter top electric griddles on that site, but the built in (drop in) models seem pretty pricy. That would make me consider just doing a dropped down section a few inches below the rest of the counter, to house one of the counter top models and put it at the same level as the rest of the outdoor kitchen appliances.

I do not think this is horrible especially for a griddle and see no reason why it would effect the flavor of the food. Just my opinion.

Comment

Heat is heat. The flat tops do not change temperature instantly due to temperature retention of the typical 3/16" thick steel, so I don't see the disadvantage for electric over gas that I would if it were a conventional cooktop. An advantage I do see is that these electrics may have actual thermostatically controlled temperature settings, versus just a dial that ranges from High to Low.

I don't necessarily think you want to go thin, as the thinner it is, the more it loses heat when you drop the food on, even if its just a bunch of bacon, eggs and hash browns for breakfast. I do a lot of stir fries, and burgers, and the temp can drop from 400 to below 300 with my IR gun when I drop a couple dozen cold smash burgers on the griddle.
          Last edited by jfmorris; March 4, 2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Yep heat is heat. On a griddle it really does not matter what that heat comes from. Actually an electric one would be preferred. You won't have to worry about wind or running out of fuel.

As others have posted, I would check out this link. They have several options. Let us know what you come up with.
            A commercial electric griddle is ideal for your food truck, concession stand, diner, or restaurant. These griddles have heating elements embedded in their plates, which means they heat up and recover more slowly than their gas counterparts. However,

Comment

Ya might have to worry about caterpillars, cuz when they see it they might think "ice rink" & have a good ol’ time. Til ya turn the heat on, then ya better have some butterscotch handy, they taste really good! Yup

Comment

I can see that these would be great. If you already have the 220v available, that’s the way to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here