Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

Just over a month ago I bought the 36 inch Blackstone with the air fryer. I absolutely love it. I have been using it once - twice a week since. For Christmas, I would like to buy my son a Blackstone. He is quite a good chef (not the world's greatest BBQer). He likes to hunt, fish and camp. I am looking at the 22 inch models.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...Hose/179647360

This one looks very portable but will is be sturdy enough if he cooks on it primarily at home? I like the fact it can work with the Coleman camp set-up or the 20lb propane tank. I like the fact that it comes with a lid.

Then there is this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...Hood/221783383

It is much cheaper. The legs look a bit sturdier which I assume make it a bit less portable. It also doesn't seem to be able to use the Coleman system.

He does not entertain a lot, but does like surface area. He has no kids. What do you all think? Go cheap and buy him a lot of accessories or spend a bit more but potentially sacrifice some stability in the legs. Anyone with experience with the portable 22inch model, please let me know what you think. Are the BTU's OK? Does the Coleman system work well if you take it with you camping?
    Last edited by tbob4; October 25, 2020, 04:50 PM.

If you are looking for something portable take a look at the Camp Chef Tahoe. I have the Tahoe and since it has 3 burners it is pretty versatile. I have a CI griddle I use on it, plus we use it with CI skillets to cook fish. The legs come off easily, and while it is hefty, the optional carry bag makes moving it easy.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome. I got mine from Academy Sports and Outdoors, but it looks like they stopped carrying them around here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000B314D-B106-4586-B176-9EE93CE5B11A.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	929231 I have the 17” adventure with the same stand as the first link you gave. The stand folds up into a neat little package. The griddle is pretty sturdy too. I bought the cover and travel case for it too.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Do you use the Coleman set-up ever? If so, does it work well?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      No I have never used the Coleman set up. Just the adaptor hose for the big propane tank shown in my photo.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same setup as frosty27 with a 17''.
      Completely satisfied with the legs. They are extremely sturdy.

The first one you showed will fit the bill.
    The stand is pretty sturdy and is adjustable, hight wise.
    It also folds up. So it’s fairly easy to transport around.
    Hope this helps. 👍

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Just looking at the two I agree this is the one. I wouldn't sweat the stand, not only does it look sturdy enough, but this is a table top model, so it comes off the stand and he could put it on a table for use at home. I got the 28" model figuring it is just me and Mrs CN, but I actually could have used the extra room. 22" will be cramped, I can't imagine the 17" being enjoyable. Here is more information and reviews https://blackstoneproducts.com/colle...bletop-griddle

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Helps a bunch. Thank you!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Haaa ComfortablyNumb I have the 17” and use it quite regularly. Love it.
      That being said having a dual zone cooking space would be ideal for sure.
      In fact I’ve been thinking about getting either the 22” or 28”. Leaning towards the 22” cause like you, it’s just the wife and I.

The height adjustable legs will be key when camping. They will allow for leveling the griddle on uneven terrain. Heck I cook with it primarily in my garage. Of course the floor slopes towards the outside. I have it leveled so things like eggs or other runny foods stay put.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great point, thank you.

Sooooo, tbob4 if I start calling you Dad can I look forward to one in December? ;-)

Comment

How’s mom?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here