Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Griddle

Has anyone heard of or cooked on a Le Griddle? I have a Blackstone Griddle and have been using it a lot. It works great but I’ve traveled with it a few times and it isn’t very sturdy. I’m considering adding a built in my outdoor kitchen. Le Griddle is Interesting concept as the cooktop is 304 stainless steel on top of cast iron. The reasoning is to even out the heat.

https://www.legriddle.com
    Attached Files

I have the same questions. I've read a lot about it because I'm looking for a griddle to build in to my outdoor kitchen as well. I'm curious if the cast iron really works to spread the heat out or if there are still hot and cool spots all over. My Camp Chef portable griddle with round burners has a cast iron distributor thingy, but there are definitely still hot and cool spots. I'd love to see some thermal images or something other than marketing videos saying it is even heat.

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      I purchased one and will report back shortly. I am out of town for a few days so had to leave the new toy. If I like it, I plan to build into the outdoor kitchen. It has feet on it so it can be used on a counter top or built in. I contacted them to see if I could custom order cast iron covered in 304 stainless for my existing gas grill. Le Griddle has a relationship with RCS with similar but in limited sizes. I have a laser thermometer and will compare it to my Blackstone at some point.

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      dirtman that's great, I'm planning on pulling the trigger on one this week! Please let me know your first impressions - i.e. confirm that I'm making a good choice

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Truly interested un in what ya come up with, results-wise, yall...

I have not used the griddle yet. It was just installed in the outdoor kitchen and I am awaiting a plumber to hook it up. It has been outside under cover and looks great. My Blackstone is outside and if left without use for a few weeks it rusts. More to come...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Standin by...

Cast iron does not heat evenly. It does hold heat well once it is hot though. Don’t trust any claims without data.

http://cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/...-iron-cooking/

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume that’s why the cooktop is stainless on top of the cast iron. The cast iron retains the heat, the stainless evens it out...in theory.

I'm in the same position as dirtman, I have it ready to install into the outdoor kitchen I am building but mine is still in the box. I'm hoping the combination of the U-shaped burner, preheating the cast iron, and the top layer of stainless results in even-ish heat. In any case, it should be better than my camp chef stove, look nice, give me lots of space (I got the 41" model), and be durable.

Comment

It is 304 stainless on top of cast iron. The photo at the beginning of this thread shows it. The stainless is cleaned with a couple ice cubes and isn't supposed to stain.
      Attached Files

Comment

I did get the Le Griddle hooked to our home propane tank. The plumber is coming back and is going to install a valve and hookup for my other propane accessories. I have a small gas fired Ooni pizza oven, Beefer and as a Blackstone griddle. The convenience of having connected to the home will be nice and eliminate trips to for tanks as well as being cleaner looking.

I cooked breakfast this morning. I started with a couple lbs of bacon. I cooked hashbrowns using the bacon grease and finished cooking fried eggs. It cooked well and is definitely sticky. I think will be beneficial for searing. I do think there are hotspots but it was manageable. I’m trying to post a video of cleaning it. It did clean up pretty easily.
        Last edited by dirtman; December 13, 2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/kyA0eGC8MGE
          Last edited by dirtman; December 13, 2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

YouTube link to cleaning. Is this the best way to post a video?

Comment

We got our outdoor kitchen put together over the holiday break which included hooking up our Le Griddle. That tape they put on all this stuff to protect it during shipping is a pain to take off! But we got it, and I've been cooking on it every night.

It does have a bit of a learning curve, as I expected. I have the Camp Chef 3-burner with cast iron removable griddle tops, and each burner on that is 30k BTU - it is hard to get even a medium heat on that unit. What I've found with Le Griddle is that it can get pretty hot to where oil smokes as soon as you put it down, but it takes a long time to get it there. After installing it I turned it on low to heat it up gradually and do a semi-burn off. One of the burners blew out in the wind (it has a propane shut-off for that situation) and after several minutes my infrared was only reading mid-50's. The upside is that once the cast iron gets heat-soaked, it does seem to be pretty even heat all across. There are slight variations if you aren't above the burners, but nothing near the CC swings.

I really like the stainless steel, the controls, and the full-length 4" wide drip tray. Mine has gotten stained beyond what a spatula and water can take off, but I'll get some Scotch Brite scrubber pads and I should be able to keep it as shiny as I want to. I expect I'll learn the temp settings a lot better the more I use it, and how long it takes to preheat. The past few days I've turned it on then gone inside to do my prep work, and it is plenty hot when I come out but that is probably wasting fuel.

In summary, so far I am very happy with this unit. I will try to update this thread as I gain more experience in case anyone is looking at getting a Le Griddle in the future.

Griddle installed along with a Blaze 2-burner side burner unit, running off the same 10 gallon propane tank:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_124026.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	969674

Comment

That looks great! A few tips for cleaning it.

Clean while griddle is hot. Ice cubes and heat definitely help loosen and aid in cleaning.

I highly recommend a heavy duty scraper.
                https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gar...er/181GS6.html

I also highly recommend heavy duty Scotchbrick griddle scrubber.
                https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3m-...r/3999537.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis