Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le Griddle

Has anyone heard of or cooked on a Le Griddle? I have a Blackstone Griddle and have been using it a lot. It works great but I’ve traveled with it a few times and it isn’t very sturdy. I’m considering adding a built in my outdoor kitchen. Le Griddle is Interesting concept as the cooktop is 304 stainless steel on top of cast iron. The reasoning is to even out the heat.

Attached Files

I have the same questions. I've read a lot about it because I'm looking for a griddle to build in to my outdoor kitchen as well. I'm curious if the cast iron really works to spread the heat out or if there are still hot and cool spots all over. My Camp Chef portable griddle with round burners has a cast iron distributor thingy, but there are definitely still hot and cool spots. I'd love to see some thermal images or something other than marketing videos saying it is even heat.

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      I purchased one and will report back shortly. I am out of town for a few days so had to leave the new toy. If I like it, I plan to build into the outdoor kitchen. It has feet on it so it can be used on a counter top or built in. I contacted them to see if I could custom order cast iron covered in 304 stainless for my existing gas grill. Le Griddle has a relationship with RCS with similar but in limited sizes. I have a laser thermometer and will compare it to my Blackstone at some point.

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      dirtman that's great, I'm planning on pulling the trigger on one this week! Please let me know your first impressions - i.e. confirm that I'm making a good choice

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Truly interested un in what ya come up with, results-wise, yall...

I have not used the griddle yet. It was just installed in the outdoor kitchen and I am awaiting a plumber to hook it up. It has been outside under cover and looks great. My Blackstone is outside and if left without use for a few weeks it rusts. More to come...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Standin by...

Cast iron does not heat evenly. It does hold heat well once it is hot though. Don’t trust any claims without data.

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume that’s why the cooktop is stainless on top of the cast iron. The cast iron retains the heat, the stainless evens it out...in theory.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Stainless doesn’t heat evenly either.

I'm in the same position as dirtman, I have it ready to install into the outdoor kitchen I am building but mine is still in the box. I'm hoping the combination of the U-shaped burner, preheating the cast iron, and the top layer of stainless results in even-ish heat. In any case, it should be better than my camp chef stove, look nice, give me lots of space (I got the 41" model), and be durable.

Comment

It is 304 stainless on top of cast iron. The photo at the beginning of this thread shows it. The stainless is cleaned with a couple ice cubes and isn't supposed to stain.
      Attached Files

Comment

I did get the Le Griddle hooked to our home propane tank. The plumber is coming back and is going to install a valve and hookup for my other propane accessories. I have a small gas fired Ooni pizza oven, Beefer and as a Blackstone griddle. The convenience of having connected to the home will be nice and eliminate trips to for tanks as well as being cleaner looking.

I cooked breakfast this morning. I started with a couple lbs of bacon. I cooked hashbrowns using the bacon grease and finished cooking fried eggs. It cooked well and is definitely sticky. I think will be beneficial for searing. I do think there are hotspots but it was manageable. I’m trying to post a video of cleaning it. It did clean up pretty easily.
        Last edited by dirtman; December 13, 2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Last edited by dirtman; December 13, 2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

YouTube link to cleaning. Is this the best way to post a video?

Comment

We got our outdoor kitchen put together over the holiday break which included hooking up our Le Griddle. That tape they put on all this stuff to protect it during shipping is a pain to take off! But we got it, and I've been cooking on it every night.

It does have a bit of a learning curve, as I expected. I have the Camp Chef 3-burner with cast iron removable griddle tops, and each burner on that is 30k BTU - it is hard to get even a medium heat on that unit. What I've found with Le Griddle is that it can get pretty hot to where oil smokes as soon as you put it down, but it takes a long time to get it there. After installing it I turned it on low to heat it up gradually and do a semi-burn off. One of the burners blew out in the wind (it has a propane shut-off for that situation) and after several minutes my infrared was only reading mid-50's. The upside is that once the cast iron gets heat-soaked, it does seem to be pretty even heat all across. There are slight variations if you aren't above the burners, but nothing near the CC swings.

I really like the stainless steel, the controls, and the full-length 4" wide drip tray. Mine has gotten stained beyond what a spatula and water can take off, but I'll get some Scotch Brite scrubber pads and I should be able to keep it as shiny as I want to. I expect I'll learn the temp settings a lot better the more I use it, and how long it takes to preheat. The past few days I've turned it on then gone inside to do my prep work, and it is plenty hot when I come out but that is probably wasting fuel.

In summary, so far I am very happy with this unit. I will try to update this thread as I gain more experience in case anyone is looking at getting a Le Griddle in the future.

Griddle installed along with a Blaze 2-burner side burner unit, running off the same 10 gallon propane tank:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_124026.jpg
Views:	2031
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	969674

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you consider the Blaze griddle? If so what made you choose the Le Griddle?

• PBCDad
                PBCDad commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack I looked at so many different griddles, I overanalyze everything to death. It was a while ago, but I think what it came down to was the availability of the 41" griddle and the hope for more even cooking temps. I had gotten fairly frustrated with the hot spots on my CC, and if I remember, I saw some reviews of the Blaze griddle that led me to believe it wouldn't be real even across the surface

That looks great! A few tips for cleaning it.

Clean while griddle is hot. Ice cubes and heat definitely help loosen and aid in cleaning.

I highly recommend a heavy duty scraper.
              Make quick work of cleaning caked-on grease and burnt-on food off of your grill with this Garde GS6 6" heavy-duty aluminum grill scraper! This grill scraper is the ergonomic option for everyday use. It's sure to offer your staff a comfortable grip for extended use, and the ambidextrous design ensures every operator can use this tool. The comfort grip handle improves grip and reduces the chance of injuries associated with the user's hand slipping during use. This grill scraper is great for restaurants, bars, diner, and food trucks. The design makes it perfect for all-day use, no matter the location! This Garde grill scraper's heavy-duty cast aluminum construction is built to withstand commercial use. The short stature gives your staff the added leverage they need to remove even the toughest surface soils, while a stainless steel splashguard minimizes messes when those debris break free. This grill scraper includes a long-lasting, sharp stainless steel blade that won't prematurely dull down, however, when it does, it's easily-replaceable with a compatible blade. Overall Dimensions: Length: 16" Width: 6" Height: 4"

I also highly recommend heavy duty Scotchbrick griddle scrubber.
              For an exciting alternative to traditional grill cleaners, look no further than this 3M 9537 Scotch-Brite™ Scotchbrick 4" x 6" griddle scrubber! This unique cleaning tool boasts a one-piece design with an aggressive non-removable scouring pad that removes the toughest grime on the bottom and an ergonomic, heat-resistant handle on the top that protects hands from heat and grease. These features effectively eliminate the hassle of separate components present in other systems and provide you with a fantastic alternative to grill bricks Thanks to the integration of resin that resists degradation from exposure to hot water, detergents, and normal cleaning chemicals, this model is sure to provide a long, productive life! Overall Dimensions: Length: 6" Width: 4" Height: 2 3/4"

Comment

So…it’s a year later dirtman and PBCDad. What are your longer term thoughts now that you’ve been able to use the Le Griddle for a year now? If you had it to do over would you still get one? That 41” griddle looks like it would be good for large gatherings.
                Thanks for any feedback.

Comment

• dirtman
                  dirtman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the 30 inch and I entertain quite a bit and haven't missed the extra 11". I built mine into the countertop and in the midwest can't imagine having cast iron exposed to the elements. I also have a Blackstone and it rusts if left to the elements. I still like the LeGriddle and have no regrets and glad that I purchased. The only design compromise is the grease tray/drip tray. You better dump it way before half full or good chance you will spill the contents and have a greasy mess.
                  Last edited by dirtman; January 28, 2022, 04:43 PM.

• JDStegall
                  JDStegall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have had mine for 6 months and still very pleased with 30" installed into my outdoor kitchen.(NG). Having used the grease tray these 6 mo (up front and removable) I would neve want to go any other way. With a water bottle and scotchbrite pads, I find it easy to clean back to original look. Takes a bit longer to come up to temp due to the cast iron underneath, but it does get hot and temps are stable. Largest group I've used it for was 22 folks and did not wish for the 41"

I can't speak for the Le Griddle, but I love my Member's Mark griddle. I know that sounds crazy, but this thing way outperforms the Blackstone I had. It is not exactly even across every inch, but I also can't say there are any real hot spots. Obviously it's not a built in, so that may disqualify it, but for what it's worth...

Comment

Great question TinyRob. To get the big question out of the way, I would definitely do it again, it was the right decision for us.

Here are some reflections and lessons learned:
                  • I am still running off the first 10 gallon tank I got, no refills, so I haven't been out there all the time cooking on it
                  • Stainless was definitely the right option for us, as I have no worries about wind-driven rain sitting on it for long periods, and I don't have to cover it. And I'm going to have it for a real long time.
                  • There are still zones that are hotter than others, and you can see where it is quickly through which areas get dark first. However, the difference isn't that big and I can throw something anywhere in the general area and still get it to cook at roughly the same rate. And compared to my Camp Chef with the 3 circle burners, it is night and day.
                  • It gets plenty hot to cook with, but the burners aren't super high-powered. It's comparable to my gas stove inside. It's perfect for normal cooking. Just don't try to put a pan on it for heavy deep frying or 1000 degree sear.
                  • I have never turned on all three burners at once (I have the 41" griddle). I have however used the last 1/3 of the griddle for storage - sliding the burgers and buns to hold when they are done while I cook something else for example. I haven't had it when there hasn't been a pandemic going on, so maybe in the future I'll use all three if we have large gatherings, but two gives you lots of surface area. All in all, I'm happy I got the 41" - buy once, cry once.
                  • One of the burners has a tendency to go out when lighting if you aren't careful. I could probably submit a warrantee claim but it's not a big deal because now I know what to listen for to make sure it is on.
                  • Cleaning took some trial and error to figure out. I don't like cleaning a hot griddle with water or ice because it looks like it tempers the metal, and even if it isn't, well seeing the initial color change just makes me nervous. I got a case of that griddle liquid cleaner from Scotch-Brite, and while it works, it gives off fumes and only works when the griddle is hot. One time when I got it hot to use the cleaner, I ended up melting one of the scrubby pads I was using. The best solution I've found is Barkeeper's Friend - easy, can clean it any time, ends up looking great.
                  • There have been several times when I've been cooking indoors with several pans and at the end of it think, well this would have been a lot easier on the griddle. It does take a bit of foresight because it has to preheat, but I think of it as just cooking with a giant cast-iron pan with unlimited surface area.
                  • I'll be cooking carne asada on it tomorrow, first time I've used it in a while, and I'm pretty excited. It is so much fun to cook with.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

Comment

• PBCDad
                    PBCDad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh one other thing, I tried doing the crazy chop chop with two heavy duty spatulas because I thought that's what I was supposed to do. I now have a bunch of tiny dents in the stainless steel. Doesn't affect anything, but if you want to do the chop chop, get flimsier spatulas or be more careful than I was.

Thanks for the feedback dirtman glad to hear you’re still enjoying the griddle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here