Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone griddle - durability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackstone griddle - durability?

Thinking about one of these... I wanted one last year and I passed. However, I might plan ahead for the price drops this year.

My concern is the build quality. Let's face it, these are inexpensive, I can tell they cut corners on things like the knobs and wheels and such. The more expensive models of them have slightly nicer feeling knobs, but I'm still not sure they radiate "quality". This is an outdoor purchase, and I am short on covered patio space. It will be covered, but probably not UNDER cover - other than the canvas one.

Also, worried not just about the weather, but about how it will stand up to years of use? Several of you guys have had these for over a year now, I'm wondering if they loosen up, get wobbly, etc. Are there ways to put better casters on them later, or something like that? Do the burners underneath the cooktop rust out and need replacing?

What other things do I need to worry about?

Great questions. I'm in the same boat as you, want one, not sure.

Comment

Same here. Good questions.

Comment

allsid is the griddle master, let's see if he has any advice. He wrote the book on griddling, literally.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          And it’s a killer book!

Mine have been covered by multiple feet of snow and survived some pretty harsh conditions. Having owned five griddles from three different manufacturers, my best advice is either get or make a hardcover for them.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the casters, especially if you have a relatively stationary location for the griddle. The wheels which come with units that are made to move around have worked fine for me on the three griddles which have them.

I'm not meticulous about my cookers. I wish I was, and probably will need to see a hypnotist if I ever plan to be. But you are correct in assuming that they do loosen and wiggle over time. These are things to consider when you assemble the unit, or even when you purchase. One of mine had a grease trap integrated with the side shelf. The side shelf had an odd male-female bolt and sleeve holding it together and when that connection went awol I was left with a dangling shelf and no grease collection. I ended up improvising and plugging the grease drain so it wouldn't funnel down onto my cedar deck.

If build quality is important to you, this one is made in California but it's also 12X the cost of one you can find at the box store:

Experience the finest in outdoor grilling performance with the superior craftsmanship and innovative features found in this 30-inch Asado BBQ grill from Lynx. The quality begins outside with gleaming, high-grade 304 stainless steel that is seamlessly welded to eliminate areas where grease and moisture can collect. The L30AG-LP propane gas grill features a multi-layer All-Clad aluminum griddle cooktop sandwiched between two sheets of stainless steel for even heat distribution. Unique and versatile, this grill will inspire creations from stacks of buttermilk pancakes to sizzling fajitas and grilled chorizo sausage over the 495 square inch cooking area. Underneath the cooking surface, two 23,000 BTU Lynx Trident adjustable infrared burners allow you to cook over two independent cooking zones. An advanced ignition system uses a hot element positioned directly above the burner port for reliably safe start-up with a flash tube backup lighting system. Like to grill into the night? The adjustment knobs on the control panel sport blue LED accent lights for precise control. The Asado also includes a stainless steel cover to protect the cooking surface when not in use.

The outdoor griddle at this point is not a piece of art. Cooking on it is not even all that scientific. But what they do have going for them is that they are fun to use, and they make you want to cook something to share with a loved one or good friend.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Loving my blackstone pro series. No cover though. The regular 36 cover does not fit. Just an FYI

I know I don't like to think of buying a grill (or anything else) that may outlive its useful life in a few years, but think of it this way. A home-cooked meal probably averages around $3/person, while a meal out around here is at least $10/person. If you are doing some of the fancy stuff you see like scallops and shrimp, the difference is even higher.

If you pick one up for $200, you would need to be inspired to cook 28 servings at home instead of going out. If you are only cooking for 2, that means 2 weeks of cooking one meal a day. For something that I love cooking on, love to take camping, and will likely last at least 2-3 years, it is easy for me to justify. Plus my wife was on board for it, so that made it an easy decision

Comment

I had a couple of Blackstones for a tad over 4 years. Heavy use and the elements did not take them out. If it'll sit under the stars with a cover, just make sure you place something like a full sized aluminum pan on the griddle surface, under the cover. If you don’t do that, rain water will pool up on the cover and seep through. Not good. Being we use our griddle a LOT, have a large family and enjoy entertaining... I recently decided to sell my Blackstones and replace them with the 6 burner Camp Chef FTG900. Having now compared BS to CS, I can tell you this.. the Camp Chefs have a much more robust build and perform at a higher level especially with the evenness of heat dispersion. Doesn’t mean Blackstones are not good... they are! Either way, just getcher yourself a griddle and get ta’ cookin’

Comment

The way I look at the BS is all I want is the cook top. IMHO, the body and burners are cheapo. Big time. But the cooking surface is nice.

I would not buy one of the new supped up models with all the thin stainless, fryer and etc because I am guessing the build quality is not great. (I might be wrong but I doubt they have changed the whole make of the grill)

Comment

• rwalters
              rwalters commented
              Editing a comment
              My thoughts exactly re: regarding the new "supped up" models...

If you only get 3 years use out of it and throw it away it comes to $80 a year. Certainly nothing I would worry about

Comment

I have the BS36 and while not "fabulous" as a build-up it is nonetheless very functional and I expect many years of good service and fun cooks from it. It might not withstand a good 'ol Oklahoma twister, but cover it up nicely and it will hold up. As far as the casters go, they'll be fine as long as you don't do double duty as soapbox derby ride. It's the old cost/value evaluation. A Cadillac is a fine automobile but a convertible VW is really fun to drive.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                No soapbox, that leaves me out.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey you'd look good cruisin' down the PCH in a drop-top Caddy though.

All very good points and exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks very much to all who have chimed in!

Comment

I have a blackstone and I have only had 1 issue with it. When I initially put mine together one of the take down hand knobs stripped out. It isn't wobbly or anything, just hard to take it down to move it if you needed to. Being that mine is a 36" it doesn't leave my deck though

Overall I have been using it pretty consistently, As long as you season it it will last forever. No real problems from me. I paid 199 on amazon.

Comment

I have a Blackstone 36 “ front drain. I know, I know you are thinking I have had drip issues. Nope, not at all. Keep level and no issues at all. I use it at least 3 times per week and have for about a year and a half. I have a metal cover that I put over the griddle and also a cover and have had no issues at all. The burners do fine and I have not had any issues with needed repairs. I have only had to change out batteries on the igniter twice. I would recommend the wind guards if you live in a windy area, they have been great. I am actually looking at the new model with the burner and am seriously considering it. I have looked at it several times now. They really have not skimped on the build quality of the grill itself. The hoods are cheap, but they are to cover the griddle and the burners and the deep frier is not heavy either, but it will do the job for fries or occasional friend chicken. Blackstone is not expensive and it is a great value for the price in my view. Highly recommend.

Comment

Might want to read this as well. Platinum Medal. I think it is a great review.

Hope this helps.

Read our review of this cool combo cooker. With its ample cooking area, solid performance, and versatility for both griddle grilling and deep frying large amounts of food outdoors, the Blackstone Range Top Combo with Bonus Fryer easily earns a Platinum Medal.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is an intriguing combination - griddle plus deep fryer. And you can remove the deep fryer and have two burners to put pots/pans over. The cover for the griddle side seems to solve some issues with being out in the open as well.

I purchased a BS griddle the first year they came out from Cabela's probably 7-8 years ago. We camp a lot in the Summer and was very happy with how much you could fit on it. Really liked cooking a lot on it. I also purchased the gill box and used it too. Turns out the grill box wasn't a good idea as it really dumped a lot of grease and oil down into the burner section. As time went on cleaning of the burner area contributed to the rust and corrosion and the grill pretty much fell apart. Now I have a 70 something pound griddle that will last a lifetime. But, you can't buy the stand, burners without buying a complete set.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here