Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle Secrets of the Inner Circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle Secrets of the Inner Circle

Well, ya know anyone with "noob" in there handle doesn't have many secrets but now that I got ya here, I would really like to know tips and techniques used on a griddle. I made it all the way through my second griddle cook tonight and I am facinated! I just got the Blackstone portable so nothin' special but after two cooks I figured you guys probably have tips for success, somethin' like special oil in a squirt bottle, cleaning and seasoning, hot spots, best spatula....I don't even know what to ask, those are just a few thoughts that came to me on my first cooks. Please share!

Just learning myself. I've only had 5 cooks on mine. I've watched most videos on the Blackstone website and there are a lot of videos on YouTube I've watched also.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, I'll check out the Blackstone website, didn't think of that with all the heckeling from the Napoleon n Weber.....

I've bought the Blackstone spatula kit with the two spatulas, the scraper and two squeeze bottles

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazon has all of Blackstone accessories cheaper than itt is on Blackstone website.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      DW is correct!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup DWCowles did th same fer accesories, after orderin my griddle!

Here's a big one. Buy a second griddle and apply it to the meat on the first one, but upside down. Yer cook will be twice as fast.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don't go the Panera, how do you know this works so good.....?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Panera is not the only place to do this.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I rest my case.

What the heck did he say

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesn't matter he hath "Rested." Wow, I didn't know he was that good!

you guys messin' with the noob again....

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLX...&v=ppoWmd4LXVs

by the way, the wallpaper scraper is key to getting every brown morsel to stay with the burger and not on the griddle. A regular spatula won’t cut it.

Hows that for a tip :-)
      Last edited by Polarbear777; April 8, 2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wallpaper scraper is like 15 bucks and ad long as you wash it and dry it to keep rust at bay, it will last a long time.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the square lodge cast iron flat burger press, a smooth trowel works well also.

Lots of "kitchen" stuff at the hardware store.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I just put foil on bricks I had on the side of the house. Ran them threw the inlaws dishwasher and double wrapped in heavy duty foil. Done!

How hot can the black stone get? Been looking at them for a while.

Charcoal of course you can easily get the surface to 700F+. Watch out for grease spilling over the edges. Ask how I know. I think total cook time is ~85 1/2 seconds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	220E1CF7-BD98-4CED-BD6E-1FD40F05E33F.png
Views:	228
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	479882Click image for larger version

Name:	48C1A8B9-3A40-4044-B8D2-74C2CB57D8B7.png
Views:	213
Size:	642.6 KB
ID:	479881

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Over 450 will work great for these burgers. Over 750 chars too quickly. Just have your stuff ready because it moves fast.

Always smash immediately raw before the fat can melt or you will push it right out of the patty.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, I'm on it!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that leveling job on the kettle.

OK, so as a noob (or maybe not so much), here's a dish you want to make on your griddle. Simple, fairly quick, and ... well, you'll get that last part!

https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKwh0tnl...4OQGHYdmp1juUA

We keep small butt pieces in the freezer just for this.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience on mine just yet but I will say things can happen fast. Prep as much as you can ahead of time and have things close at hand. I'm going to start using grape seed oil instead of olive oil as it has a much higher smoke point and it will keep the smoke to a minimum.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          good call, I need to look for high smoke point oil!

I used to be a short order breakfast cook and we used primarily a 3 foot gas grill and a 2 eye burner for eggs.
        On the weekends for high volume we’d crank up the 2 ft grill as well. My advice would be cook on high heat as fast as you can and use the grill for meats and potatoes. We only cooked the eggs in pans on the 2 eye burner unless the customers requested eggs on the grill.

Comment

The oil we used was called lomelt or vegilene and was extremely high heat oil.

Comment

I'm missing something here, guys: Why cook on a griddle rather than directly or indirectly over charcoal? The answer must be "a griddle does xxxx better," and I'm wondering what that is.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Used for things that you can't do on grill grates and the wide area also makes it good for exposing more of whatever you're cooking to the hot metal resulting in more GBD in each serving.

• SMOG MAN
              SMOG MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              I like to use the very hot griddle to sear steaks after some smoke time, very easy clean up.

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              Kind of hard to do things like corned beef hash or fried rice without a griddle. They complement a charcoal or gas grill nicely.

Griddle does things like eggs and hashbrowns that you just can’t go on a grate.

Also so for these thin diner burgers smashing and max contact with pre loaded steel makes a malliard reaction brown crust that is amazing.

For thick burgers the grill is better.

Comment

My primary reason for getting my griddle was portability. I can put it in the RV basement and set it next to the mini weber gasser when camping. Now that I have it and am learning to cook on it, I can think of great breakfasts, philly cheese steak sammy, grilled fish, smash burgers, I cooked a great rib eye, grilled scallops....I guess you could do a lot of that on a griddle pan on a cooker or even a CI pan, the stand alone just gives another option. And, sometimes I just want grilled food. It also gets the grilled smoke/smell out of the house, I have been known to cook with "flare" which can play havoc with indoor air quality....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here