Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is a pretty old thread, but I'm going to bump it because I just scored one of these off Craigslist for $50. I was looking for a couple of grills, and saw one of these pizza ovens for $100. I contacted the guy but didn't get a response. Then this morning I went to check the listing and it was gone. But there was another listed for $50! I arranged to come take a look after work today. Turns out he used it about ten times before going gluten free.

I hooked it up to a propane tank and it fired right up. Looking forward to making pizza tomorrow night. I'm going to peruse the forum, marauder mentioned a pizza section, so I'll go find it, and see if there are any tips specific to this oven. The guy I bought it from said he had some success as well as failure due to the crust sticking to the stone. When I grill pizza I use parchment paper, and that eliminates sticking, but I believe parchment is rated only about to 500 degrees.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      If you trim the parchment close around the edge of the pizza, it won't burn. And don't forget the photos...

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out https://www.pizzamaking.com too.

Attjack, I am still around and I still like my Blackstone. It works very well I have had to do a little work to it. When I got mine it had a warped stone plate and I had to replace that. That is the only thing that I have replaced on my unit I have gone to other websites and found information on the Blackstone on modifications that can be done to it to make it a better unit but I have been very happy with mine. I use an infrared thermometer and when the stone gets to be about 600 to 650 Degrees I put my Pie on and that is an art in itself as it is a rotating plate and you don't want to stop it even to put the pie on it. I have gotten the metal I don't know what it's called it's kind of got that perforated metal on it and I will slide my pie shell in there and get it initially too set and then it's really this easy to put it in and take out. I have made pies with the temperature as high as 900 Degrees and that also makes an interesting pie.. I am traveling currently and will be home on Friday so this weekend I will post some better results and pictures of some of the equipment I am using and why I have done some things.

Comment

Sounds good, Marauderer I'm looking forward to your advice. Meanwhile I'll embark on my maiden voyage tonight. I take it you do not want to turn off the rotation because that's how you get a warped stone plate? I had read elsewhere someone recommending to turn it off during loading. I will not heed that advice.

Comment

I imagine that if the rotating plate is warmed up to whatever temperature you're going to launch your pie at that turn it off for 10 seconds or so while you load it should not affect it in any way. I make sure that my plate is rotating before I light the burner and I also make sure that when I turn it off I let the play continue to rotate until it's cool down some what. It is still hard for me to launch a pie directly on the stone with the Shroud and everything installed it gets kind of difficult for me

Comment

Well I'm impressed. My first pizza was a success.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_184037.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	368643Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_184344.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	368644Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_184522.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	368645

​​

Comment

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            Great first pie AttJack

Hey, Marauderer how did you clean yours up so well?

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
            Hey, Marauderer how did you clean yours up so well?
            I used 409 or some other household degreaser. After I cleaned it I washed/wiped it down with just clean water to get the degreaser off.

Before

After

Comment

Early on I was building my pizza's this way. The pizza screen was a big help but, putting it directly on the stone made a better tasting pie crust to me.

DSCF6589

DSCF6590

DSCF6598

Now at my age I don't remember well and There may be different pies in the pics but the technique is the same.

Technique is paramount to getting a great pie. Sometimes second in timing and a few degrees temp one way or the other can make the difference between a mediocre and great pie.

Comment

My pizza launching technique is to build the pizza on the peel. I put down enough high quality cornmeal, and before attempting the launch I make sure the pizza is sliding back and forth on the peel as I shake it forward and backward. If it's not sliding or any part of the pizza is sticking you have to add more cornmeal in that spot. Once it's sliding well you can put the peel inside the oven where you want to drop it and quickly pull the peel from under the pizza like a magician pulling a tablecloth from under the dishes.

Comment

Another successful pizza tonight. While I had the oven hot I took the opportunity to try some jalapeno poppers. They came out pretty good. Not as good as smoked poppers though. But they were done in a minute or two.

Name:	20170829_194751.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	371587
                  ​​​​​​​

Comment

Marauderer I picked up this pizza stone brush. It's perfect for the Blackstone, and only costs $10.

Name:	61Dl5CNnVbL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	401870

Comment

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Attjack thanks for the brush info. I think I will get one.

Sweet score there sir !! I need me a pizza oven, now what did I do with my copy of the Greensheet?

Comment

EdF Those Uuni Pros seem nice. Small and versatile with their ability to do gas or wood/charcoal. Unless I stop eating pizza, which seems unlikely, if my Blackstone ever bites the dust I would replace it with something.

One thing I like about the Blackstone is how quickly dinner is ready. Often I'm grilling on a Weber and it takes some time to get dinner on the plate. But with the Blackstone it's ready for a pizza in 10 minutes. Then it takes 2-3 minutes to cook the pizza. The whole process is easily under 30 minutes from start to finish.

My sister and her husband built this bread oven and it's cool, but it takes a long time to get to temp. To make a meal it's going to be hours. Of course you can do a lot in it. Here we're making the entire Thanksgiving dinner in it.

Name:	ifVN4L0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	402165

Name:	42A2glM.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	402166

Name:	JfWljjF.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	402167

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's very fancy! My wife led a crew of volunteers, with an expert consulting, to build an earth oven at a local church. Worked great, but it was definitely a slow heat-up. And not as nice as what you have here. Typical use was festive pizza, followed by overnight pumpernickel as it cooled down.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Once you have it going you can crank out pizza after pizza. So something like this is definitely more practical at a church or other communal setting.

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow, I really like the oven but, I know what you mean about the heating time.

Pretty oven!

Comment

This is a pretty nice roundup of some of the options out there. Although I would say they should have included the Blackstone!

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sure seems so. Owners love them.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here