Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Boss Ultimate Griddle: user commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Boss Ultimate Griddle: user commentary

I’ve been using a new Pit Boss Ultimate, four burner griddle, for a few months now and figure it’s time to post up some commentary here. For those unfamiliar this is a recent release from the folks at Pit Boss that has two primary features that differentiate this line from many of the other home, gas griddles some may be familiar with. The griddle surface is coated with ceramic for non stick properties, and the top cooking section of the total assembly lifts off from the lower cart section for portability, say tail gaiting or camping. I’ll get to those tow features in more detail below. This family of griddles comes in two, three, four, and five burner configurations. Additionally, the three burner version is also available from Walmart as an exclusive model (similar to deals they have with Blackstone) that has a copper colored lid and goes by the model name Sierra. In appearance (except lid and knob color) and features it looks to be exactly the same as the Ultimate 3 burner right down to the shipping weight. I add that last comment because there’s at least one clown on the webs who’s posting in multiple spots that the Sierra is made from lighter gauge materials. It runs about $100 less than the Pit Boss direct model, so some skepticism is warranted, but unsubstantiated speculation is foolishness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pit boss 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	1243232

Assembly was pretty straight forward with the separate cook section and cart adding some extra parts and small amount of assembly time. Once put together it is very sturdy and on parr with the build quality of my Camp Chef FTG600 which many think is built better than most in it’s market segment. If you look at the picture you’ll notice some struts connecting the legs which do help with rigidity of the cart, but also block access to the lower shelf. Not hugely, but you are aware of them. The wheels and casters appear to be of good quality for the job, and having four wheels is an improvement for mobility over the two wheels of the Camp Chef. The two side shelves drop down to reduce the real estate consumed if desired, are sturdy, and have a subtle positive feature. They are mounted lower compared to the griddle height so that heat escaping from under the griddle plate is less likely to melt plastic bottles used for oil, seasonings, and water when griddling. A trade off to that is you have to bend over very slightly more to use the shelves. The lid is a nice, high dome shape with hinges that operate very smoothly. I’ve lifted the lids on some competitor units at various stores and with more regularity than I think they should, they prove to be somewhat balky. Especially the ones that use two different length hinge brackets on each side. The PB is like velvet in comparison. And while the lid has a gap around it’s entire lower edge when closed, which makes it safe to use as part of the cooking process, it will hold in enough heat to act somewhat like an oven. You can actually bake biscuits under it, maybe not quite as efficiently as a real oven, but with patience it works. The control knobs have a good feel to them and the ignition is battery operated. You can light each burner individually or all at the same time, none of that silly sequential lighting nonsense. The burner configuration is relatively common with inline stainless tubes with the exception of the left most burner that is in a D shape and somewhat smaller holes. I’ve not seen any commentary (though it may exist somewhere) from PB about why they chose that switch up, but in use it creates a slightly different heat pattern from the straight tubes. I use it as my lowest temp zone to either cook more delicate foods, or use as a holding zone for in process foods. Experienced griddle users have learned that they have hot and cooler spots around their cook tops that seem annoying to the novice but become tools to be exploited by the more experienced flat top chef. I also use that burner for sauce pan warming for say a baste or finishing sauce, or perhaps a side dish.

Of course the thing that most folks are especially curious about is the ceramic coated griddle surface. Again, the experienced flat top folk are most familiar with rolled steel tops that require "seasoning", basically laying on thin coats of oil that are polymerized by heat to create a non stick cooking surface. Very similar to that process used on carbon steel or cast iron pans and griddles. Stainless tops are a different animal so won’t be compared here. Once cleaned of any manufacturing process contaminants the ceramic coated griddle is ready to use without having to go through the "normal" seasoning process. And, happily, it works very well. You think the "egg test" is the go to field test of non stick ability? This griddle won’t disappoint. In fact, if you spatula skills need development you might end up chasing the egg all over in your efforts……………………it’s slick. With a normal seasoned top you almost always have to lay down some cooking oil of sorts even if the seasoning job you did was first rate, it’s just a thing. With the ceramic you can skip that with certain foods, particularly high fat proteins. As far as sear quality I find no difference in crustiness between, say burgers or steaks, what I get on either the Camp Chef or the Ultimate. However, proteins and seasonings will still settle crusty deposits on the ceramic in very similar fashion as on conventional seasoning. I’m a clean as you go guy with the objective of minimizing cleaning of those deposits. As one example, when I flip a burger I try to have a fresh landing spot for side two so that when the burgers are flipped I can immediately scrape the residue off while it’s hottest and not extra baked on. The ceramic benefits from that much as the conventional seasoning does. This is one of those process things that confuse folks. Because the surface is expected to be non stick some folks think you don’t have to be as careful for clean up……..that would be wrong. The oils, renderings, and seasonings are the same (choice and application dependent) and will react chemically in almost exactly the same way to similar operating temperatures. What has surprised some users with the ceramic is that it will in fact take on seasoning similar to the rolled steel tops, and create sticky deposits of polymerized oil that can become problematic over time if allowed to excessively accumulate. Experienced hands who know how to properly take care of their conventional seasoned tops will accurately say that clean up is easy. I agree, but having used both kinds regularly I will say that the ceramic is easier. That distinction is lost on the reading comprehension impaired. The ceramic enjoys a related benefit that it will prevent corrosion of the griddle surface throughout any storage time/manner. Even well seasoned conventional griddles will show some deterioration of the surface when set aside for some prolonged time and need to be cleaned up and re-seasoned before use again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mock carnitas 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.9 KB ID:	1243233
    The internet being the internet there are a lot of sources for misinformation about the durability of the ceramic tops. The one legitimate question is "how long will the ceramic maintain it’s integrity and not flake off or become too damaged to be effective?". They are new enough on the market that only time will tell. Like any other product, your results may vary. Skilled users or people with high OCD scores will get far better life out of any piece of equipment compared to certified klutzes who seemingly could break an anvil by just walking past it. So do your best to flush out the speculators and naysayers who have never used one of these, much less have any solid data/experience, but will still spout off as if they are well informed. One area of contention is the use of different tools; e.g. spatulas, scrapers, etc. PB recommends that users get silicone or high temp nylon tools rather than metal ones. Some will see that as a negative, but it’s of little consequence actually. I suspect they make that recommendation with an abundance of caution since they can’t know if a user is gentle or an abuser. I have a YouTube friend with a channel known as "The Flat Top King" who regularly uses metal spatulas on his Ultimate. But as a word of caution, he’s prepared tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of meal on a flat top and has muscle memory for efficient use of the tools. His spatulas have round corners and eased edges which won’t scratch easily, coupled with his dexterity, and he doesn’t do the showy Tapanaki banging and clattering thing on the ceramic surface. Me, I use the silicone and nylon stuff with little to no compromise.

All in all I’m very happy with the quality of build and performance. I’ve been cooking on it for near four months using it weekly at least once, often more. The ease of clean up is a joy, and it has done everything I’ve expected of it. I do have mixed feelings about the cover that PB makes for it. From a quality standpoint it is one of the best I’ve had, particularly from OEM. The reservation is it’s shaped to cover the unit with the two side shelves extended. For some that’s not any kind of issue. For me it’s about the amount of space I have on the patio and where I slot the grill between other cookers. I fold down the one shelf which causes the cover to look sloppy………………..might be related to the OCD comment above. The other shelf can’t be dropped if the tank is mounted, so it ends up taking up extra space that way. A small complaint that specific to my situation.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 27, 2022, 01:45 PM.

Thanks for this review snd write up. I have been looking at these and wondered about a few things that you covered in the review. For example the durability of the ceramic top. I get it and issue resolved. Time to go shopping!!
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; June 27, 2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Great writeup Bob…[even though it would benefit from paragraphs] and that is one good looking cooker! I noticed the thoughtful addition of a paper towel rod, nice touch. Man, I wish I had the room, or else I’d run out and get me one tomorrow. Based on your comments, I’d imagine that will become a great selling griddle. Do you have a couple more pictures you can add? I’d love to see how it looks with both shelves opened up.

Comment

Great writeup!

Comment

Thank you! We’ve been included in a group that gets together at each other’s houses for grilling and outdoor cooking. We’re the old people in the bunch. All of them except me have the big black stones. I’ve made Ruben sandwiches on one of them. It was the perfect setup for Rubens, room to toast bread, warm pastrami, and melt the cheese on it. The Blackstones leave me wanting something just a bit nicer, especially the surface. I will be checking one of these out very soon. I can’t wait for the wife to see one end of the cover drooping. Her OCD will go in overdrive. I’ve seen her refold bath towels that I’ve folded "wrong".

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL

Nice review. I went with the Blackstone late last year. I'm pretty OCD about the clean process after the cook. The ceramic top does sound very interesting.

Comment

@Oak Smoke here ya go Lynn, just for your bride.........

Click image for larger version  Name:	pb cover 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.9 KB ID:	1243682

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            You should get a commission check soon. I think I need that. It’ll be worth it just to tell the wife that’s just the way they are. Thank you!
            Last edited by Oak Smoke; June 28, 2022, 01:41 PM.

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL!!!

Great writeup and superb explanations of the benefits and comparisons of each type. I love my 36" Blackstone, and while the ceramic does sound interesting, I'm not super careful or neat about things, I tend to bang and scrape a lot (my dog goes nuts hearing that metal-on-metal), so I doubt I would do well with the ceramic. Besides, I've already got mine, no need to go looking to fix somethin' that ain't broke.

Definitely the kind of review and insight that makes this website and forum stand out amongst the varied bogs of tha Intarwebz!

Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

Great write up. Now thinking I might need me one. Wondering how often i would use it.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the crap shoot, some folks get 'em and fall in love with the convenience, others never fulfill whatever dream prompted their buy. You see a lot of griddles in the resale world, many with rusty tops. Likely bought on a whim and the buyers didn't hang on sites like this where they'd learn how to maximize their useage. As a result a one time dream becomes a dusty lump that rusts away or is offed for a fraction of it's purchase price. It is the way of the world.

• dweverett
              dweverett commented
              Editing a comment
              I have an original Blackstone with the front grease drain that I need to replace (sick of dumping the grease everywhere). I don’t use the griddle very often but we still enjoy having it. For me, it’s a little like the electric turkey roaster that everyone in my parents generation seemed to have. Might only get pulled out at Thanksgiving but really useful when the whole family is coming over.

With the griddle, we use it mostly for breakfasts when we have extended family around.

Uncle Bob Very nice write-up and review! One question: How is the grease management? The pics aren't exactly clear, but it looks like there is the older Blackstone-style hole in the front left with a grease cup underneath. Is that correct?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found a pic that clearly shows the opening at the front left and the grease cup!
            Last edited by GolfGeezer; June 28, 2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah the hole in the cooking surface is the sole thing I don't think I'd like. I like the grease management on my Blackstone in the back.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I imagine the non-stick surface eliminates a lot of grease I get with my Blackstone. Do you find that to be true?

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Grease and cooking residue management is a dream. The hole is good sized without eating too much surface, and it's smartly placed in what is a cool zone for most flat tops so it minimizes lost cook area. I personally dislike the rear grease catch program, I'd rather have control to the front. The cup is good sized so will contain multiple cooks with ease. Yes, you can use less oil with the ceramic. I grind my own burger to get better fat ratio and I just drop the patty with no oil needed.

Here’s a great video showing the grease management and cleaning procedure.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Well...............to each their own. I don't let that much schmutz build up during the cook usually unless I've got a self imposed timing problem needing speed or volume of food. As a result of "clean as you go" I use probably 1/2 to 1/3 that much water, and usually only one shot. That added oil at the end is what I do on normal rolled steel griddle to maintain seasoning integrity, but it's really unnecessary with the ceramic.............waste not, want not.

Uncle Bob that is a very nice review and writeup!

On your cover issues - I've got the Camp Chef FTG900, and the cover I have for it also assumes that you keep both side tables folded out, and that is most likely because you cannot fold one side down without removing the propane tank. They initially sold TWO cover options for the Camp Chef flat tops - one with the tables down and the other style with them up, and now only sell the style for covering it with the tables sticking out, likely because most folks are not going to remove the propane tank between cooks.

I think the main question I would have about the ceramic coating on this new griddle would be how well it holds up over time. Are there any signs of it scratching or chipping after several months of use? Are you using the same metal spatulas and scrapers you used on your Camp Chef?

I guess the real question is with this new griddle in the backyard, did you get rid of the Camp Chef FTG600 yet, or are you hanging onto it for extra capacity?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Uncle Bob that video makes this griddle look VERY promising! I'll have to share it with my boys.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Uncle Bob Great video. I saw on his griddle the grease drain was in the front left corner. The video I posted yesterday had the grease hole on the left side, centered between front and back. Do you know why they were in different places? Maybe they were different sized griddles?

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris, I ain't too bright..........probably coulda just posted that vid to begin with and saved a lot of key strokes. Neal has a lot of good content.
              Panhead John, the 5 burner model has the drain center left so that's probably what he has. The 2, 3, and 4 burners are bottom left. The 5 burner also doesn't have the portable upper cook unit like the other three models.
              Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 28, 2022, 04:12 PM.

Uncle Bob an excellent, thoughtful, and extensive review as usual. MCS is only at the interesting level, and I think I will escape without being bitten.

Comment

jfmorris I'll answer in a new box as a full response will exceed the character limit for comment box.

Good info on the 900 cover. I actually have one of the shelf down sized 900 covers, I bought it for the Somerset IV stove. I learned, I think from Kathryn, that the one CC sold for the stove was a very tight fit. I checked the dimensions on the 900 cover and it was about 2" bigger which made for easy on and off without drama.

Real world life expectancy on the ceramic is going to have to be a matter of time in the real world. There are lots of ceramic cooking scenarios out there where it holds up well, but the rough use of metal tools can be a problem in the wrong hands. @DogFaced PonySoldier gave you the silicone tool response from my commentary, but I could have given more detail. First, yes, some silicone tools are pretty floppy, but as often happens, there's more than what some folks have experienced. There are some steel reinforced, silicone covered, tools available. They may still be too flexible for a hard smash on a burger but that's not really a problem. Maybe others do it differently, but I don't smash burgers with hammer, I use either a metal press (bacon, etc.) or a rigid spatula. Neither usually touches the griddle, and if they do it's such a minor contact that it makes no impression. And lifting the seared burger is done reasonably with the reinforced silicone or an alternate hi temp nylon tool. I keep seeing people on the internet who seemingly go out of their way to be negative about these, and it's obvious they've never used one so are speculating at best. If challenged they bring up non stick pans that have failed from metal tool use, but they never make it clear if they are talking about teflon, or some other material. When challenged they go silent, so my guess is they figured out they're blowing smoke when it comes to the durability of this griddle. I primarily use the silicone tools as they perform nearly all functions without any let down. In fact, for scraping down most residue they are actually better than a steel scraper that can sometimes remove regular griddle seasoning in the wrong hands. I've also put cast iron pans (see pic above) on the surface, use a metal melting dome, and occasionally use a metal spatula if I have to. But I handle tools respectfully, some folks tend to be animals about that sort of thing. I have no marks on my top, and don't see any signs of failure of the coating adhering to the steel underneath.

Unfortunately there are some process challenged folks out there, and from that myths arise. I spent a fair bit of time with longish responses (sorta like this) last week on a FB group trying to help some guy who had abused his PB ceramic top. He was convinced it was defective, but to the experienced eye it was clear that he hadn't cleaned it properly. He had that chunky build up of polymerized oil in the hottest areas above the burners. If you look at that vid PJ linked above you can see a mild form of the same stuff on the right burner zone of that guys top. If it were a normal rolled steel top, that can also get that gummy, heavy build up without proper care, most people would figure it out right away. Apparently the expectations of non stick make that harder for some to fathom. Anyway, as I said, I went through a few posts of step by step explanation and included some pics of my own top immediately after a burger cook (which is what he said he primarily did) and that the top looked good as new. The upshot is, he was one of those who won't accept it's user error no matter the evidence, and sadly, he had several folks who agreed with him. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

As for the 600 it's sitting safely in the shop for now as is a 23" unit I have too for small cooks. And then there's the large cast iron griddle for the stove, and......................You know I'm one of THOSE guys who has more toys than he "needs". For now I'll keep it. When we do neighborhood cook out it should come in handy, or maybe someday I'll pass it along to a deserving soul as payment in kind for something.
              Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 28, 2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I found this review very useful - not as much for me, as I am well set with cookers right now, but I have a son and son-in-law who both have expressed interest in griddles, and I've seen the Pit Boss offerings in stores myself and wondered about them.

Interesting concept, hadnt seen this one before. My gut question would have been about the ceramic too since most ceramic non-sticks recommend not going blazing hot and have an oven safe temp limit due to damaging the coating. I would have assumed this would be an issue on a griddle since those things can get absolutely blazing hot but it must have been tested and be a non-issue.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe they have the BTU's throttled so that the cooktop cannot get above 500F, since that seems to be where most non-stick coating break down. Maybe not ceramic though, as much as other non-stick teflon type coatings.

Most griddle cooking is in the 350F to 400F range, well below the limit on ceramic - which I just looked up and for most ceramic coated skillets, is said to be 600F.
                Last edited by jfmorris; June 28, 2022, 03:05 PM.

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah i must have had something else in my head. I have a nice set of caraway pans which are ceramic and they recommend low to medium heat only and oven safe up to 550. For some reason i thought it was lower.

Carry on

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here