Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on a corned beef or reuben-style or pastrami 'cheese steak'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on a corned beef or reuben-style or pastrami 'cheese steak'?

I love pastrami. And to a slightly lesser degree, corned beef.

I love reubens - if you can get decent sauerkraut!

I LOVE cheese steaks! Don't gimme no guff about nomenclature, I don't care! If it's meat and cheese, with or without peppers and onions, chopped, sliced or whatever, if it's all combined in a hot gooey mess and piled on a toasty roll, it's a durned cheese steak, I don't care what nobody sez!

So... Last year I did some burgers with piled on pastrami, Swiss and Russian dressing on rye bread - it was AWESOME.

Now I'm thinking maybe some kind of corned beef or pastrami or Reuben cheese steak sammies (STOP IT, I SAID!) sounds good?

Anyone got any ideas a good way to combine all this in a manageable sammich?

If you have a flat top, you could mix and cook on there. Cast iron griddle would work too. Sounds like something i might have try.

Comment

I would ditch the dressing, but maybe incorporate a tiny bit of horseradish and Worstershire. Also I would mix Swiss with some provolone or Havarti. Meat chopped, bun toasty, maybe some chopped roasted red pepper from a jar or can.

Comment

Have you tried the Rachel, Ruben's sister? Pastrami instead of corned beef, coleslaw instead of sauerkraut and 1000 islands instead of Russian dressing.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't stand coleslaw, but yes, Russian and 1000 Island are basically the same. And I have done pastrami Reuben's many times - ain't gonna call it by a lady's name. lol

Um, this would be incredible. Now I wanna try this!

Comment

Oh man that sounds good. I would do it on my flattop. A lot of ways you could accessorize this sammie. Shoot. Now I need to go to the grocery store. 🤷‍♂️🤦

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking chopped up pastrami or corned beef, mixed with the kraut, toasted bun slathered with Russian dressing. Swiss and provolone.

I dunno, it just seems so easy, I figgered it had'a'a been done sometime by someone.

I gotta do the pastrami first, though, that's the tough part.

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              A pastrami Reuben chopped cheese?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I still think using ingredients in the dressing instead of the dressing itself will yield better results, if you're using the same amount of melty cheese as a normal philly (non whizz kind of course)

Yer doin a mighty fine job of comin up with a formula. Just make the rye dark pumpernickel and pile the goods high!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              hmmm pumpernickel hoagies would be killer for this... if they even make such a thing

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Well there pilgrim, whatta ya say we do it?

I have done it with a panini press - kind of like a Cuban with Swiss cheese, pickles, kraut and mustard. Very good.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              Editing a comment
              tbob4 yer picture looks just like my buddy whom I bought a membership for here. I don't think he's activated it yet, though. lol

Yes!

The best sandwich I've ever eaten was homemade pastrami with Havarti cheese. I would not attempt it with a lesser cheese and most definitely not a cheese sauce. That said, no reason you can't 'cheese steak' it up on your griddle. I broiled mine (just a pile pf pastrami with the cheese on top) to make the cheese melty & just start browning, because I don't have a griddle.

Toast your rye bread, and then butter it obscenely. Spicy brown mustard, not just a clean spread, but rather heavy. Sliced good dill pickles like Mt Olive. Then griddle each side once the sammy is built. In my case I used a panini press.

Ya just gotta stop and close your eyes it's that good.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              I like your style... by the way Mt Olive is opening a new operation less than 4 miles from my house

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              Editing a comment
              You're right, Huskee, havarti is amazing with pastrami, I love it! It's one of my favorite sandwich cheeses!

Make it open face on a toasted rye, piled high and topped with cheese sauce.
            pair it with PBR.

Comment

I like the pumpernickel idea, I prefer that to rye.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I made pastrami sammies last night with a marbled pumpernickel+rye combo bread. Yum!

Yes, yes, yes and yes....

Comment

What time are you serving? I’m down! For me, I would start the the procedure for a patty melt and sub out accordingly.

Comment

Here’s my version. Homemade kraut etc..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here