Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I wanted to make cheesesteaks... can't find the meat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I wanted to make cheesesteaks... can't find the meat.

I hit 2 local grocery stores yesterday, looking for some thinly sliced ribeye or something. I really really REALLY want to make some cheesesteaks on my new griddle. I've been dreaming about it for 3 years.

First one is on the other side of town it's called "United", there was a butcher behind the meat counter filling some orders or something, it looked like. There was nothing at all that looked like it would work in the meat counter. Choice ribeye was $19.99/lb. Ouch. I spent a good 5 minutes perusing the meat section, wandered off to look at the dogs and sausages (another disappointment), came back and spent several more minutes checking to see if I'd missed anything and the butcher was very pointedly ignoring me, so I decided not to bother him and ask him to cut me anything. I bought a couple packages of sausages from a local company I'd never heard of - hot links, pepper jack, and jalapeno cheese. I tried one of the hotlinks when I got home and they were... ok. The jalapeno one I ate about two bites and tossed it.

Anyways, I move on across town to another grocery, Homeland (owned by the same company, I'm told). They have slightly more selection, but still nothing like what I'm looking for. They have a butcher's case with meats and seafood, etc, and a guy there is working the counter. In the case they have some "Prime" ribeye for $24.99/lb, ouch. Didn't look particularly well marbled, but oh well. So I go up and look around, he actually asks me if he can help me. I tell him I'm looking for something like very thinly sliced ribeye to make cheesesteaks with.

He says, "Oh, so you want like fajita meat."

WHAT???? What the... no. I tell him no, I most definitely do NOT want fajita meat - which would be something like skirt or flank, if I'm on the right planet - I tell him again I'm looking for very thinly shaved ribeye.

He then leads me over to the prepackaged section and picks up a pack of 2 thin ribeyes - these are about 5/8" thick or so. I reiterate, no, I am looking for very thinly SHAVED ribeye. I ask if they can cut me some in the back, as I knew there was someone working on stuff back behind, as another guy was waiting next to the meat case and this guy had come out and told him whatever he was waiting on, "He'll be done with it in a minute."

So he goes back into the back to ask about shaving me some ribeye, comes back out in 10 seconds and says, "The thinnest we cut here is ¼". I think to myself, maybe I could work with that... but that's still 6mm, so I pass. I'm not gonna spend $25/lb on something and not get what I actually want. Then I'll be even more disappointed. I dunno, maybe I shoulda done it.

Lord knows, I ended up disappointed with the sausages I ate for dinner anyways.

So for groceries, that's all we got in this town - 4 Homeland/United stores and WalMart. The actual butchers are closed early on Sat, around noon or 2 for both of them. The "better" of the two, you can't even go inside anymore, for the last 18 months, you have to stand outside on the porch, they come out and take your order from the list taped to the window. No perusing the meat case and pointing out what you want, no talking to the actual butcher - it's just high school kids filling orders and bringing them to the porch. No chance to see the meat you're ordering. Most of the stuff I've gotten from there has been frozen after cutting, or just ordered in from regional packers.

I despair sometimes. <sigh> So that was my disappointing Saturday. Also went to Lowe's looking for a new ceiling fan for the back porch (I broke the original one last weekend whilst putting my Blackstone together... don't ask. Really. I won't ever live that one down), ended up coming home empty-handed. Had to spend an hour looking online and ordered one from Home Depot that will be here in 10 days or so.

The breakfast I made on my Blackstone was pretty good, though! And I watched some videos on how to make hashbrowns on it, too, so I think that may be in the future to try.
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; August 29, 2021, 05:36 AM.

Well here is one variation of my cheesesteaks. I love the flavor of smoked chuckies in a cheesesteak. It adds such a great depth to the flavor profile. Please note that I change it up all the time. But this is what I did tonight. I cut up one medium onion and two jalapeños. Rough chop. Seasoned with some good olive oil and

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother Bonsey. I was gonna point tR in this direction. Ya done beat me to it. 👍

You can also purchase a whole ribeye steak, freeze for about 30 minutes and then slice it thin. That is what I do and it works great.

Comment

Another Pitmaster recipe that uses skirt or flank.

After sorta hijacking Spinaker's post ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/node/704534 ) and mentioning Kent Rollins' version of a cheese steak sandwich it was

Comment

To tell th Truth, an, yeah, I know, my Red Neck is a showin

Ya can even make some dang danged good Phillys with all ya gotsya is some hot dog buns, ground beef, an some cheese, all up in yer Icebox...

Comment

I also think Polarbear777’s legendary pulled chuck should be in the consideration if you want to do cheesesteaks.

I do like QVQ for this (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/sous-vide/448657-sous

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. That would make some awesome cheesesteaks for sure.

I agree, pulled chuck will work, but I gotta plan that even farther in advance, if I don't have any leftovers frozen or something.

I'll get there, I've only had this thing a week... I'm working on it.

I also realized this thing will be PERFECT to do a hard sear on big chuck roasts before Mississippi pot roast (a favorite around my house) or on beef short ribs before braising them, or on big batches of pork roast cut up before making pork chile verde... or lots of other things, too. If I want to sear lots of meat before cooking it another way, it's always been a PITA to do batches in a cast iron - this big ol' airplane runway of hot steel done solved that problem!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yer savvyin this up, fairly quick...
            Still takin baby steps, but figgerin it out!
            Way to go, Amigo!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I make mine with tri-tip

Hit the frozen section. There’s a couple options there usually. We often use Schwan’s, but when we’re out of it, we get Steak-Eze or another brand from the store. It won’t be as good as fresh thin sliced ribeye, but works well for a really quick weeknight meal. I even use that meat for making steak quesadillas too.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Back when I was in college I went through those Steak-Umm brand packs from the freezer, cooking them up in a skillet with some provolone on top. I can't believe my folks kept buying them, as I remember pigging out (it was from THEIR freezer).

I may have to look for them the next time I am in the store.

DogFaced PonySoldier I know what you mean. I’m always looking for shaved ribeye. Got my fix last week though. Had to go back to where I grew up and was able to get my favorite sub of all time. I like the steak and cheese. It’s shaved ribeye, onions, provolone, lettuce, tomato and banana peppers. Topped with their sub oil and vinegar topping. So good. I dream about this sub.

Here is a photo from their Facebook page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40F48FF5-19B7-426E-AD7C-019275A399DC.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1085044

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure about the lettuce and tomato. But otherwise that looks pretty dang good.

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
          You can also purchase a whole ribeye steak, freeze for about 30 minutes and then slice it thin. That is what I do and it works great.
          Yeah, this. Or use flank etc and do the same (freeze partially slice thin).

Comment

I just buy ribeyes and slice them myself. Then while they are on the griddle I chop them up even more. Never had a problem doing them that way; I used Malcom Reeds method. I did not make the cheese sauce though - I just used smoked provolone and some cheddar. There are more methods on AR though.

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/09/21...teak-sandwich/
            Last edited by klflowers; August 29, 2021, 03:31 PM. Reason: Didn't make the cheeses sauce

Comment

Most Asian grocery stores, especially Korean, have a selection of shaved meats that they sell for Korean BBQ, bulgogi, etc. My local store has thin sliced brisket, rib eye, tongue, beef belly, sirloin and others.

Always stray off the beaten path when looking for new sources of vittles.
              Last edited by Bkhuna; August 29, 2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                Was gonna say the same thing. To the extent there are any around you, most Asian markets will carry thin sliced ribeye or other cuts for various items (e.g., Shabu shabu, pho, stir fry)

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                That's an idea, but the nearest is about an hour. I'll have to check it out sometime... last time I looked in their meat counter, the pig uteruses kinda drove me away.

Time to invest in your own slicer!

I don’t have this slicer, but I have their meat grinder and vacuum sealer and love both. Planning to add this slicer to my collection in the future.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve been looking at food slicers on eBay. There’s an amazing selection. It looks like I’m going to get an older Rival that is new in the box. Like you I want to shave some ribeye, but my biggest need is slicing pastrami. Meatheads pastrami recipe has created quite a following here.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be - pretty much in my price range. I would say thanks, but I won't because you, like everyone else around here (myself included) are an enabler...

I have two other meat options for you. 1) top sirloin. 2) Top round.

I just had a Thai steak salad using the latter and sliced thinly with a knife (about 1/16"), the meat was perfectly tender. Now, this was a cold prep and the meat was medium, so...

But I think when it's sliced that thin the need for lots of marbling to make it tender is a lot less.
              Last edited by rickgregory; August 29, 2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea I was going to recommend sirloin as well. You could do the Pit Beef recipe and slice it thin. I doubt you could tell it from ribeye after cooking on the flattop.

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
              DogFaced PonySoldier I know what you mean. I’m always looking for shaved ribeye. Got my fix last week though. Had to go back to where I grew up and was able to get my favorite sub of all time. I like the steak and cheese. It’s shaved ribeye, onions, provolone, lettuce, tomato and banana peppers. Topped with their sub oil and vinegar topping. So good. I dream about this sub.

Here is a photo from their Facebook page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40F48FF5-19B7-426E-AD7C-019275A399DC.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1085044
              Where is this from ssandy_561? I'm in Central Ohio and I want one of these!

Comment

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                Its from Western NY (Olean). That's where I grew up.

They do have a sub like this in Westlake Ohio. AJ's Urban Grill.

• Joey877
                Joey877 commented
                Editing a comment
                Figures. I know there are a lot of good sub places around here but I'm always looking for more.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here