Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Top Hard Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Top Hard Covers

In order to open up more space in the pavilion around an 11 foot long table I've got out there, this summer the Camp Chef FTG900 6 burner griddle has been stored out from under the pavilion roof where it lived most of last year, wearing just its Camp Chef canvas cover and a couple of basting domes to hold the cover up off the griddle top and promote runoff. Works pretty well, but what I have found with the super rainy spring and summer we've had in Alabama is that if I don't cook for a few weeks on it, I uncover to find developing surface rust, which I can pretty much clean off with a lot of elbow grease, rags, water and oil. I think I am close to needing to re-season the surface completely however.

I've been thinking about hard covers like Blackstone offers, and unfortunately, Camp Chef does not offer one, but someone on Etsy does. They have sizes for the FTG600 and FTG900:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6418038...mp-chef-ftg900

Having a cover like this also solves the delimma of how to cover the FTG900 if I take it off its cart and set it into a built-in configuration in an outdoor kitchen setup.

My main question for those of you who have similar type hard covers, such as for the Blackstone, is as follows:
    1. Is wind a concern? Will it pick up these covers and flip them off during a thunderstorm, most likely bending and mangling the cover? The Camp Chef is pretty much out in the open, with the closest wind break being an 8 foot privacy fence about 25 feet away. If I build in, the griddle top would still probably sit right above the counter surface, but I could recess it below slightly to get the cover out of the wind.
    2. Does a hard cover alleviate concern of surface rust to an outdoor griddle, or is that more a side effect of the humid outdoor environment versus the selection of hard or soft cover?
    3. Finally, does anyone know of a hard cover for the Camp Chef that is any cheaper than this stainless one at $190?

Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 14, 2021, 08:23 AM.

Don’t expect many replies Jim, remember, most of us have you blocked.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      "Someone PMd me and told me where to go."

But PJ, I'm guessing you get hundreds of those a day. I've lost count of how many of those I've sent.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White - ya beat me to it...

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      @ Jim White for the win. Well played sir!

I had one on my 22" for several years at our spot in Michigan...generally in the open.

Close to the big water means sudden gusty winds and it was never an issue. Also had no rust issues, though I am careful to keep it pretty well greased up. In fairness the griddle did only spend 6 months at a time outdoors, so it wasnt constantly exposed, but otherwise totally fine.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That is good to know. 6 months of the year is fairly good data.

I have a 36" Blackstone with their hard cover. It lives against the house under a covered patio. This time of year during monsoon season we get quite a bit of strong winds and thus far the cover has stayed put. I think I've had it for 3 of 4 summers now.

When I first got the Blackstone, it came with a vinyl cover. Didn't care for the sag onto the cook surface (clever idea BTW with the basting domes). And it also seemed to me like it would create basically a sauna like atmosphere when temps here get hot. I can only imagine how much worse that would be in a climate like yours. I just think those types of covers block any kind of airflow. The hard top cover leaves a enough gap all the way around the lip of it and the wall of the cook surface to easily fit your fingers. So plenty of airflow. Plus you don't have to wait for the flat top to completely cool down before covering.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The cover from Camp Chef is a canvas type material but with a backing to make it waterproof, and I think you are right, that it may be creating a sauna. I've never found standing water on the top, but feel that what I am seeing is due to lack of air flow under the cover and high humidity. Maybe some water seeps through when bucketfuls of rain are coming down. Right now it is sunny with 65% humidity, but we are getting daily rain that serves to spike that humidity up to 80 or 90 percent...

I have the hard cover for the Blackstone and their nice canvas cover that has straps to hold it all together. Can't peak to the rust issue as we live in a pretty arid climate and all my cookers are on the covered porch.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I could put the canvas cover over it with the hard cover if I wanted to. I do tend to keep a lot of stuff stored on the shelves under the flat top, such as basting domes, some bins (with lids) containing rags, tools, etc. Often the accessories for the SNS Kamado are under there too.

I have the Camp Chef ftg 600. I found an aftermarket aluminum cover for it on Amazon for, I think just over $100. I remember seeing covers for the ftg 900 but I can't recall the prices. My griddle sits on the uncovered portion of my deck. What NE Wyoming lacks in rain/humidity is more than made up for by wind but it has not been a problem for me up to now. I don't have any problem with rust but our arid climate and my less than meticulous cleaning probably accounts for that.

And you will never have to worry about my blocking you. I never knew how to use the AR blocking feature until PHJ showed up. I don't think it works very well cuz he keeps getting through now and then.

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - we are doing pretty well right now. Yvonne has a cancer checkup tomorrow, and is recovering nicely so far from her broken leg - 4 more weeks before she can put weight on it.

I will poke around Amazon later and see if there are other options for the FTG900 aside from that one on Etsy. I usually don't see gusts of wind beyond 25-30, but one day when we had some 50-60 mph gusts, due to the sail created by the canvas cover, got lipped off the concrete patio area and into the yard.

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, even here when we get 50-60 mph winds we have more problems than just grill covers.

I don’t have a hard cover for my Blackstone 36”, but decided to go with this cover. It came with a plastic device that helps "tent" the cover which minimizes water contact on griddle. Mine is on my back deck and in the elements. So far so good on rust issues. It’s been prime conditions this summer for rust so 🤞🏼

iCOVER 36 inch Griddle Cover for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752GJTF1...p_mob_ap_share
    Last edited by au4stree; July 14, 2021, 09:57 AM. Reason: Edit to add: when I got my griddle, BS did not have the hard covered in stock. Stupid COVID-19

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the exact cover I have and I like it so far. The velcro straps on both ends hold it in place very well. I also have a hard cover on which is what I put on after cooking for the cool down period.

You might contact a machine shop and see what they would charge to make one. Give them some dimensions and they should be able to give you a quote.

I have done that several times and had quotes above and below what I expected.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb - you are correct Sir!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why I was never an estimator, but I di work on a fishin' boat for a while where I worked my way up from apprentice baiter to - never mind...

Will any of these covers from Titan Outdoors work?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately not. Having the largest griddle size on the market (20.5 x 45.5 for the cook top) means accessories for the Blackstone 36 and other 36 inch griddles won't fit. Thanks though!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Bummer.

Jimbo,
    I got my spiffy diamond tread cover fer my BS 36 from Backyard Life Gear, been VERY happy with it...

Jus searched their site, an they offer this, fer yer decidedly Cool-O-Rama FTG900 LINK

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I had come across that, but balked slightly at the price. Its worth considering though. I just went and looked at the Camp Chef and it looks like the brackets for the hinged lid mount to the same place the the hinged side tables mount.

It's sad that a few years back, I probably could have gotten my dad to whip this up or go over to visit his shop in Georgia on a Saturday and use a brake and other gear in his machine shop to make something like this pretty cheaply myself, probably just welding an inch in each corner where the lid is folded and comes together. When he retired and the business was sold, all that equipment got auctioned off.

I may call around and see if I can get something made locally before spending over $200. I think it would be fine if it were regular steel and I painted it with high temp grill paint, so stainless probably isn't even necessary.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine is Aluminium, fwiw... much easier to wrestle with.

I have that same cover. Bought of Esty for my 600. It is great and the person who makes them is great to deal with. Mine came damaged and he was right on the mark getting me a replacement. I leave it out in the weather with this cover and it works great. After a hard rain the top is dry as a bone. Highly recommend!

Comment

Starting with the price thing, that etsy example claims to be 304 stainless so should have a comparatively rust resistant life, and that material is not as inexpensive as the aluminum alternatives. It would likely weigh a bit more too which might be an advantage for your wind concerns.

I've got a couple covers similar in design to the hang on the back style you've shown. On my ftg600 I've got the diamond tread aluminum product and it has held out any direct water hitting the griddle just fine. I usually have it under the CC canvas cover which might help.

I've also got a black painted/coated aluminum cover that was intended for a Blackstone that I use over my built in sink in the outdoor kitchen. We have a fair number of trees around the place and I was getting real tired of constantly having to clean them out of the sink. I put some plastic sheet metal edging material around the bottom to prevent scarring of the stainless counter top. There is nothing to hold down the cover except it's native weight. It's slightly protected by one wall of the house so is different from your situation, but to date the wind (which can gust a fair bit at times) hasn't affected it.

Comment

I bought the stainless cover for my ftg600 on etsy. It works quite well and is longer in the front helping keep the knob area from getting soaked but will get wet without a cloth cover

Comment

I have the same manufacturers cover for the campchef 600. It's almost a tight fit have to be sure it's pushed all the way against the grease catcher. Had a mouse get in the gap when it was forward a little but once you slide it in place correctly it's secure. The screws came loose on the handle, cooking cheesesteaks so I was really slamming it around. I put red loctite on them and no more issues. It has two hooks so you just slide it back onto the lip of the grill when in use. I have the camp chef cover as well but stopped using it, the hard cover should be enough. No rust issues on the cooking surface it hangs down over it enough it's never wet after rain. Quick to take off and replace when you're done using it. It does basically double as a back splash so you have to completely remove it and give it a good cleaning every once in a while. It was pricey and even with the slight screw malfunction I would buy it again, but again it's a lot. Whenever I show the griddle to someone I have to say "yeah and it didn't come with that top"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here