Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on Weber with SnS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Clark I only recently bought a bag of B&B briquettes - I can find the lump more easily than the briquettes. I'm planning to use them for my next low and slow in the SNS.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Good to know. I have a bag of B&B briquettes to test at some point. Just gotta decide if they go in the kettle or the SNS Kamado. With this cold weather, probably the kamado!

• FlashHokie
    commented on 's reply
    Ah found brisket is glorious! It's been a while since I've smoked a brisket. Need to run to the store now! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Clark
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris I notice you did not list B&B briquets. Don't you use them? I've had good luck with them.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Don't listen to any of them! Send all your leftovers to me. I'll keep them safe for you.

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    Most of my leftover brisket goes in the fridge and I just grab a slice every time I walk by the fridge. I almost like it cold out out of the fridge more than when it is warm.

If there is any left over after that I cut it up into chunks and make some brisket chili. That is also a great way to use any bits that might be a bit too barky, little leftovers from slicing, etc. I usually use 4 pounds of meat for a batch of chili and there is plenty of that left to freeze for future meals.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Another way to go is to find a well marbled chuck roast and practice on that. I do those occasionally as it's just me and they're delish. NOTE though, that you need to find one with good intramuscular marbling - see one I got recently here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...916#post985916

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris - I've been able to get 2-4 hours out of a dozen B&B briquettes in a 22" kettle with the temps around 240 or so. It's kind of amazing, actually.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Originally posted by tbahder1 View Post
    Thank you for the excellent detailed suggestions. All of your great descriptions of cooking brisket have given me courage to try cooking it myself. I have also gotten some B&B charcoal to use.

One questions that I still have: Usually, there is just me and my wife in the house. So a whole brisket is a huge amount of meat for the two of us. Do you freeze the remaining portions? Does it freeze well? (I have vacuum bags and a sealer that I can use to freeze the remaining cooked brisket.)

Thanks!
    Even feeding 8 or more, I usually have leftover brisket, and it reheats well. What I do is typically slice the flat for serving on day one, but only slice what we will eat. Hint: Hot brisket dries out after carving - don't preslice the entire thing right after it comes off the smoker. The hot meat tends to lose all its juices.

For leftovers, I like to refrigerate so that the juices and fat pretty much solidify, THEN slice it into portions, which vacuum seal and freeze very well, and reheat well in the microwave or even in a skillet once thawed.

I recently found a vacuum sealed bag where I had cubed an entire smoked brisket point and frozen it months earlier. For New Year's Day with the kids, I pulled it out, browned it up in a cast iron skillet, and then baked in the oven at 250F with BBQ sauce, butter and brown sugar. It was like brisket candy, and that cubed point had been in the freezer for several months. So yes - it keeps well!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Freezes well, especially if you can provide a little juice in the bag. Refrigerated will last days also.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I second this. Since the higher your are in a kettle, the hotter, I run fat cap up on my butts and brisket, until the bark looks good, then flip to get better bark on the side that was on the grate.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I agree, and that is where I smoke more often these days. I've not charted burn times at 275 grate temp in a kettle though. Looks like I need to bust out my spreadsheet and do more testing!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I have the Drip 'N Griddle on the charcoal grate under the brisket. Any ash that rises from operating the sweep - and it usually isn't much - goes up and through the Slow 'N Sear. I am just keeping any of that ash from settling on the meat. And there is not as much ash flying around as you might think. With the lid off the kettle, it usually just rises straight up and goes no where near the meat - I don't always think to cover the meat and its never been a problem for my butts or brisket.

• tbahder1
    replied
    Thank you for the excellent detailed suggestions. All of your great descriptions of cooking brisket have given me courage to try cooking it myself. I have also gotten some B&B charcoal to use.

One questions that I still have: Usually, there is just me and my wife in the house. So a whole brisket is a huge amount of meat for the two of us. Do you freeze the remaining portions? Does it freeze well? (I have vacuum bags and a sealer that I can use to freeze the remaining cooked brisket.)

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    If you are not using a raised grate, I like to run fat cap up until that side is black black black, then flip to get bark on the other side/flat side. Don't monitor internal temp before you flip, it will only make you flip out when you see how much the temp drops after flipping flat side up.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here