Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yall clean your Kettle grill grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brush my grills and then hit them with a propane weed burner. Wipe them down with a wet paper towel...clean as a whistle. You can also get your lump or charcoal briquettes started under the grill as well at the same time.

Comment

I think it was mentioned but I use a grill brush before I put the food on and again when I’m done grilling. My grates aren’t shiny but there aren’t any chunks stuck to them either and I haven’t had any issues

Comment

SOS pads and hot water carefully so I don’t leave any wire pieces. Rinse well and wipe with paper towels.

Comment

I always struggled to keep my grates clean. Several years ago I came up with what I determine is the VERY BEST and EASIEST method. I bought a metal hot water heater pan. My 22" grates fit perfectly after removing the drain plug and covering the hole with duct tape. Simply put the grate in and then add bleach and water. Let sit over night. Then add some hot water, sprinkle some Comet and scrub with a brillo pad. VOILA----brand new!!

Comment

I do as drobinson except I bought a bit larger hot water heater drain pan than he did (26 inch as I recall) , so I don't have to remove the plug and add a patch. The grate soaks overnight in a green citric acid-type cleaner with water and next day it cleans up beautifully.

Works great.

I also have a Grilltastic that I have yet to bust out of the original packaging. An embarrassment of BBQ riches, I guess.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all!

I think I am at the very least going to upgrade to a water heater pan. I never even thought of that. The 22" grate fits sorta in the galvanized circular tub, but it won't lie flat. The water heater pan would just be far easier.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                It is indeed. Plus you use less water and less cleaner.

K.

Comment

I spray with PAM or similar before heating up the grill then just use a grill brush on them after each cook while still hot. That’s it. Easy peasy.
                Never have issues.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I always use Pam too. I see so many people spray a lit grill with an aerosol. I do it too. But I often wonder if one of these days I'll get aerosol blowback. So I do it but I don't enjoy it.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here