Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare rib racks on 22" kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare rib racks on 22" kettle

I'm hoping to smoke 2 racks of spare ribs on my kettle this weekend using a Weber rib rack. I haven't bought the ribs yet and I'm wondering if they will both fit??? Will I need to trim off the tips and smoke them St Louis style?

Thanks for any advice,
    Jay

It's going to be a tight fit, if they fit at all. Make it easier on yourself and trim. You will likely find room to cook the tips separately.

Comment

How are you arranging the briquettes? I haven't tried this, but you could try using the charcoal baskets that Weber sells and put one on each side with the ribs in the center. I'd put 6 lit briquettes in each basket and then fill with unlit briqs. Make sure the baskets are against the the outer wall of the Kettle.

Good luck

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1D755587-D3E4-4B5B-A9C7-E5C177DE8822.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.26 MB ID:	905146 Here is what two St Louie look like using a Weber basket.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; September 3, 2020, 07:01 AM. Reason: was NOT the SnS

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          This worked well, you just need to add some unlit as you go. These took about 4.5 hours.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Dig the custom probe clip.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey Yeah, but it jus works, though not quite as diverse, or multi utlizational as a tater.

Thanks all. I just got a SnS for the grill and I'm dying to use it for this. I figured they wouldn't fit so I think I'll follow your advice, trim the tips and still use the rib rack. I'll also have the gasser going for chicken, fake meat and veggies. I'm sure I could fit the rib tips in there too!!!!

Comment

If you trim them they should fit without the rib rack. I’d just lay them flat on the grate so you don’t need to deal with the vertical temperature gradient that will affect the ribs if you use the rack.

Comment

2 St Louis racks should fit fine on the 22 with the SNS. There won't be a lot of extra room and you will probably want to switch the position of the racks a couple times during the cook since one edge will be pretty close to the heat in the SNS. Run it for ~5 hours or so at 225-250 until they bend nicely when you pick up one end and the meat has pulled back from the bones ~3/4 inch. They will be delicious!

Comment

For once I started everything on time. First mistake, filling the SnS water chamber a bit too fast and it overflowed onto the lit coals. I pulled out the torch and got the wood and charcoal nice and hot again. The market only had 1 package of ribs left yesterday, St Louis cut. Lucky me!!!

Got the ribs started at noon, meat down, with a grate temp of 230F. After 1 hour, I rotated them front to back. Smells and looks good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200905_131137.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	906069

Name:	20200905_131153.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	906070

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking good!

At 2 hours I flipped them over, bone side down.

At 3 hours they got rotated front to back again, looking yummy but a bit dry. I sprinkled a bit of jasmine tea across the meat and closed the lid. Charcoal and wood supply look good as well. Time to start getting the side dishes and chicken ready for the gasser...

Name:	20200905_150149.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	906115 ​​​​​​​

Comment

4hrs, not very bendy yet. sprinkled with a bit more liquid rotated the thicker side towards the heat. I'm hoping to sauce in about an hour.

Name:	20200905_155923.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	906145Click image for larger version

Name:	20200905_155905.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	906146

​​​​​​​

Comment

The ribs and chicken turned out great!!! Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Labor Day holiday weekend.

Name:	20200905_173132.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	906328

Name:	20200905_181316.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	906329
                  ​​​​​​​

Comment

Congrats on a great cook.

Comment

Except for that little hiccup at the beginning (everyone needs a bit of drama in a cook ), sounds like everything went perfect. Congrats! Those ribs and chicken pieces look pretty delectable.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks all. I was fairly happy with the ribs. It was only my 3rd attempt with them. I've done lots and lots of chicken over the years. The first two rib cooks ended up a bit over cooked and dry and then a bit less over cooked and dry. These ended up needing just a bit of bite to get them off the bone, almost perfect for me. The science of this is intuitive to me, it's the art of it that I'm working on...

Comment

Nice looking food my friend!!! Heck, I end up getting water in my coals quite often myself when filling my SnS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here