Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best grate for great grill marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best grate for great grill marks

Had my Weber Kettle for 10 years with the original grill grate. What is the best grill grate to get that will give me great grill patterns which will impress my wife, kids, friends, and neighbors ???

https://www.grillgrate.com/grillgrat...-weber-kettle/

Edit to add:

If anyone ever sez something about the lack of grill marks, tell them that there are over 200 flavor compounds in the dark brown crust, so why limit those flavors to a few grill marks.
    Last edited by RonB; July 24, 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said!!!!!!

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand the logic of this but my guess is that if someone did blind taste tests very, very few would be able to tell the difference between grill marks and even dark brown crust any better than a random guess. I know Maillard reaction is good, but is more Maillard better? Without blind testing, who really knows? Maybe I'm justifying personal laziness because I choose not to flip my burgers every minute for the perfect brown crust.

I agree, GrillGrates are the greatest grates to get great grill grate grate marks.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; July 25, 2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

The devil makes me do this....................................."Stripes are for show, full sear is for go."

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen. Glad someone said it.

I use my grillgrates upside down - does a pretty good sear that way

Comment

if you get the grill grates then you can do either full sear or grill stripes...best of both worlds.

Comment

I use Grill Greats. I have been turning them Griddle side up. A little better flavor, no grill marks.
          So there you have it. I enjoy the taste of complete sear, and enjoy the looks of grill marks.

Comment

GrillGrates are good. Thick cast iron is another option.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here