Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SnS: Original or Deluxe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which SnS: Original or Deluxe?

I'm looking to get the SnS for my 22" weber. I see there are now two models, the original and the deluxe. The price for the deluxe matches the price in the review on the free site, but I'm not sure if that review was for the original. The main differences are the deluxe has a bottom in the charcoal tray and the water pan is removable. Also there are better bundles with the deluxe model. The griddle/drip pan seems like a good item. I'm not so sure about the easy spin grill grate. Any advice on original vs. deluxe and the accessories from more experienced users?
    Thanks

I only have the original (2) it will fall over if you fill the water tank up before putting charcoal in because it dosen't have the kickstand. I think with either one you'll have to knock the ash down around the 3 or 4 hour mark. I like mine. I did use a bundle and got the drip n griddle but haven't used it yet. When my grate was getting rusty on my older kettle I bought the easy spin because it is SS and has bigger opening then the Weber replacement.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; May 11, 2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point I forgot the original can tip if you add the water and fuel in the wrong order. Only made that mistake once! Lol

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the standard SS grate on my 26" and the original XL SnS. The hinged access door is much smaller than the area of the SnS. Having an access door that matched the size of the SnS would be very nice. So far I can't bring myself to toss a perfectly good SS grate into storage though.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - that was the last time I washed the inside of my Kettle...

Deluxe and the grate for the win !!!

Comment

Hey Pete! I like the open bottom of the original SnS because it isn’t as prone to getting clogged with ash. I still love my SnS XL that has the grate in the bottom of the charcoal compartment. Neither of mine have the removable water reservoir but I think it’s to increase cooking area on cooks where you wouldn’t fill the reservoir anyway (?) If the bundles are better that’s not a bad reason to get the deluxe. I’ve heard great things about the drip n griddle and easy spin grate.

Comment

I remove the water pan a lot. That little bit of extra sear room when you need it is worth it. Go deluxe. I don’t have the accessories but I use the sns on almost all of my 22’’ kettle cooks. If water pan wasn’t removable I’d use the sns a bit less.

Comment

You can use version 2 without the water channel and with the griddle as a charcoal griddle for eggs, bacon, burgers, steaks, hot dogs, cheesesteaks, etc. It isn’t as big as a Blackstone etc, but it is something that comes as something else and can be repurposed. I have both, and never use version 1 ever.

Comment

I tend not to use the water reservoir. It's not really that big and will evaporate pretty quickly.

Comment

I have the original and wish I had the Deluxe. However, I don't want it enough to pay for it. There are occasionally times I would like to remove it, but having half spent coals in it makes it a pain to remove.

Comment

I'd buy the Deluxe and Grate and Pan. Mine is older---the removable water reservoir would be nice.
                Last edited by Skip; May 11, 2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I have the original and like it.

Comment

I find the open bottom of the Original to be my preference- ash clears our far easier than the grated bottom ones, but at the expense of some tiny coals too.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Attjack I'm not sure, I only have one of the first editions of the XL. Not sure if David Parrish redesigned it when it was reintroduced, maybe he'll get this and can help.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have an older version that I was assuming was the original. It has the grate on the bottom.

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee I must have missed that. Too funny

I’m very happy with my original. I like the open bottom.

Comment

I like the open version. I have the original for my 22" and the XL for my 26". I like being able to to just lift it out cleanly. The XL (with the bottom grate) requires a little more effort with having to dump the ash out before pulling out. I never use water so tipping is not a concern for me.

Comment

I've had the original with the open bottom and never have an issue with the bottom clogging with ashes even on an 18 hour brisket cook. I just work the ash sweeps on my Performer Deluxe, knocking most of the ash build up down below the SNS into the ash collection bucket underneath the kettle. I do remove the top of the kettle so that any ash that wants to flow up goes up and out of the SNS and not up and over onto my meat. Usually not much goes up.
                        Last edited by jfmorris; May 12, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Thank you to all that replied. I'll go with the deluxe and the drip pan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here