Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Preformer vs Master Touch vs Deluxe Kettles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Preformer vs Master Touch vs Deluxe Kettles

I have a PBC which I primarily use for longer cooks and when having a larger group of say 8-15 or so guests. I have been using my 18" Jumbo Joe mostly for shorter cooks and when cooking for my wife and myself, which is most of the time.

I love the PBC, am a big fan, and it will continue to be a mainstay for me. As I have learned with experience how to cook on the Joe better and more consistently, I have learned to enjoy it more and more, to the point I am wondering if I want to add a 22 inch kettle for larger cooks when it is more important to me to be able to maintain low and slow for long periods of time. Also I am impressed with the features and accessories available to the 22" kettle, especially the LNS accessories, etc.

This brings me to my reason for the post. I have been comparing the Performer to the Master Touch or even the kettle just below it in price (Deluxe I believe it is) and wondering which would be better for me. I see that the gas assist is popular with Performer owners and has obvious ease of lighting, but I am used to using a chimney with a starter cube so not sure that is so important to me. The built in table offers a food prep area, but I also need a food prep table for use with my PBC and occasionally the Jumbo Joe............

Seems to me the Master Touch for about $200 less ( or even the Deluxe for nearly $300 less )would give me what I need, allowing me an extra $200-$275 or so to purchase a stainless steel food prep table approx 24X36, with nice wheels, etc for about $125, and the balance for misc accessories plus the advantage of a nice table which I could use for any of my cookers.

Also reviewing the included items on the Master Touch and the Performer both, I wonder how many of those I would use vs wanting to invest in the non-Weber LNS line of accessories made for the 22" kettle...............

For you Kettle folks, especially if you have a PBC as well, am I over analyzing this? Am I missing something?? Or do I just have a case of MCS???? Voices of experience would be most appreciated!

I have a LBGE and a 22” Performer. I will say that I love the table extension and the gas assist; I have starter cubes that I use sometimes in the BGE, but I always use the gas in the Performer. Also, I see the table and frame as making the kettle itself more stable on a wooden deck.

On the other hand, you make a pretty convincing case for getting the Master Touch or Deluxe. Remember that the Master Touch has the bail for holding the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      I have a LBGE and a 22” Performer. I will say that I love the table extension and the gas assist; I have starter cubes that I use sometimes in the BGE, but I always use the gas in the Performer. Also, I see the table and frame as making the kettle itself more stable on a wooden deck.

On the other hand, you make a pretty convincing case for getting the Master Touch or Deluxe. Remember that the Master Touch has the bail for holding the lid.
      Thanks for the comments. Yes, the table would make it more stable I think. I had not thought of that safety aspect! And yes, the bail for holding the lid is important to me. Heck, even the Jumbo Joe has one of those, and I use it every time I use the unit.

Comment

I have a Performer and a Deluxe. 90% of the time I use the Deluxe. I am not a fan of the lid bail overall. If I had the budget for another Performer I would look at a 26 instead.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I have also thought of the 26 but it is likely larger than I would need and the accessories for the 22 are far more

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Weber also sells a lid holder that does the same thing as the bail. I think I paid $25 or so for mine.

All I can say and provide opinion on is the 22 kettle. I have the SnS and vortex. Its served me well for long and quick cooks. If you do wings, the vortex is a must. The SnS turns the Kettle into a smoker. I was planning on getting a PBC this spring. For what I cook, right now I can't justify it. Plus space is an issue.

Good luck with which ever path you go.

Comment

I have the Performer and love the table and gas assist. I have to move the Unit in and out of the garage when I use it. The table make the whole unit easier to move and it a great prep area. The gas assist is very convenient and easy to use.

If you’re not going to need to move it, and will get a prep table, then one of the other options is fine. You can get a SnS with the saved money.

Comment

I have a PBC and Performers. Like you said I mainly use the PBC for larger items. Brisket, ribs, chickens, turkey. The Weber gets the rest. I only use the gas assist when lighting a large amount of charcoal. I used it so often in the beginning I ended up with two containers of spent gas bottles as our garbage company wouldn't take them with recycling. I always have empty KBB around and use them to light my chimney. I most definitely enjoy the table and the ability to roll it around the yard safely following shade in the summer. They sell a Performer without the gas assist also. My latest purchase was a Brick Red Performer found on Craigslist for $175.

Comment

I hacve a PBC and a Performer. I use my PBC for ribs, chicken, turkey and pork belly burnt ends. I use my Performer for pullled pork, chuckies, tri-tip, and other needs. I am a bark lover and I prefer the bark from my Performer over my PBC. I added a PartyQ fan to my Performer last year and I am very happy with that for long cooks. I really like the table and stability of my Performer. I would love a 26" Performer if and when Weber ever makes one!

Comment

I have the WSCGC...which of course has the side table. I find it invaluable...even if I do need more space quite often. So for ME...I would lean towards a Performer. With, potentially, an added table. Which may blow the budget all to hellanback.
                As for gas assist. Meh. In the Summit, it works considerably better in "smoke" mode than in "kettle" mode...so I generally just use a Weber chimney. So not having that wouldn’t be a deal breaker. And given the options, I’d take the extra workspace over gas assist every time.

Comment

I have a PBC and the MasterTouch 22". Sometimes I wish I got the Performer but with the BBQDragon Dragon Wing shelf, that has helped and you can actually fit 2 on the MasterTouch. I'm not sure what the LSN accessories are unless you meant SNS, which I suggest. I started with a BBQ Guru Party Q for my PBC and then for the Weber but upgraded to the DigiQ when the connector broke on the PartyQ.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                    Alabama Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I meant Slow N Sear. Thanks for your input.

I bought a used performer for like $70 from CL. I love using it. I always use the propane assist to start it. It is very stable with the side table.

Comment

I went through a similar thought process about 7 months ago and decided on the Performer because of the gas assist and the attached table. I really like cooking with it although the vents took me a few cooks to understand. I did buy a gas line so I could attach one of my 20# tanks. After doing a few long cooks with the charcoal baskets I currently have a SNS on order. I haven't got the smoke flavor like I get from my Rec Tec but it hasn't been too far off. Long term I will probably get a GrillGrate when the one gives out. Overall I have been very happy with the quality of the cooks we have done.

Comment

I have the master touch, but I got it on sale or I would have just got the original I hardly ever use the bail, and I have a couple of SS tables that work just fine. I use a chimney, so I don't really want for the gas assist. Even if you want the bail, you can get the touch, an sns and a vortex for less than the cost of a new performer, I think. I have the sns and the vortex. I don't have a pbc, despite HawkerXP whispering pbc, pbc, pbc

Comment

• mnavarre
                        mnavarre commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pbc... Pbc...

I have a Performer without the gas assist. I just use a chimney, and I honestly can't say I have ever thought that I wished I had bought one with the gas assist. The chimney with a lighter cube is so easy. I do think the Performer is the way to go because of the table.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here