Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's first cook on his first kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son's first cook on his first kettle

My 8 year old just had a birthday last Sunday and we gave him a new Jumbo Joe. We bought it a couple months back on clearance at Target and saved it for his birthday.

For his first cook we went with a Porter Road flank steak cooked over some lump charcoal. He picked out the rub, seasoned the meat, lit the kettle, flipped the steak, checked the temp, and helped slice. He was so proud of his steak and grill and dinner was excellent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_154031.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	783831

Name:	20191226_160930.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	783832

Name:	20191226_182730.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	783833

Name:	20191226_184211.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	783834

Name:	20191226_184523.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	783835

How wonderful! I see he has his own chimney, too.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, he just uses one of the three I have. Might need to get him one of the small ones. And some smaller tongs. He was having a bit of trouble with the full size ones.

That’s a great dad!

Comment

Good looking son, and steak! Well done.

Comment

Well done dad, son will be teaching you future grandson the same one day

Comment

That is awesome! Great job!

Comment

That’s awesome!

Glad you’re getting to share what you love with your son. Only downside is your days as King of the Grill are now numbered.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Especially when they go digital.....

BBQ competition team in the works by the looks !!!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

That's the way to do it - start 'em young. Learning to cook is a skill that will last a lifetime, and learning to love to cooking is priceless.
                  Last edited by RonB; December 27, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My father taught me how to cook.....meth. It was quite profitable until I met someone from the DEA. I guess the upside was I got five years of free room and board and now have a new friend who insists I check in with him once a week. ;-)

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed. My mother started me around this same age and cooking remains one of the most important things in my life. It's both a hobby and a stress reliever. JoeSousa kudos, recommend you let him try some indoor cooking too.

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ComfortablyNumb That explains a lot! 😎

Awesome, and you can tell he is taking pride with his steak!

Comment

Awesome!

My own kids haven't' expressed an interest in cooking their own meat from start to finish yet. My oldest did make his own rub once (which was great actually) and got up with me at 530am last brisket cook and helped me start the stickburner fire (snow on the ground COLD out). Your post has inspired me to encourage my boys to try a cook start to finish.

Comment

He's the next Meathead!

Comment

Absolutely AWESOME!! Nicely done . I can see the excitement in his face. I have a great idea what my daughter will be getting for her birthday next year!! Nicely done on the porterhouse!! My steak of choice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here