Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look What Landed Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah buddy, you're going to love it!!

Comment

Wow, congratulations, Old Glory . That's a great toy you had wheel up your driveway yesterday. What other toys did you get for it?

Kathryn

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        So far a cover and the coal tool. Looking for a low profile Slow and Sear. I have a brand new XL version I could trade. Do you use the charcoal basket by ABQ?

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the ABCBBQ coal basket but I don't use it, Old Glory , because when Mr. Fancypants is in kettle mode, the LP SnS does the job nicely. I do use it in my 22" kettle on occasion because it's so much more nicely constructed than the Weber one. It also doubled as an SnS in the 22" kettle until I bought an SnS 2.0 for it. Isn't the WSCGC a beauty to behold when it's first put together, all shiny and new? It's such a great smoker/grill.
        K.

And P.S. , Old Glory , FWIW here is the procedure I use for firing up the WSCGC. Perhaps it will work for you as well.

My Current Kamado Method for Smoking

Note: 1 scoop full =40 coals or ½ chimney

1. Foil the Ash Bucket and the Diffuser Plate. Wipe the (previously cleaned) grate down with a disinfectant wipe and then wipe down again with water. Set out two medium-sized disposable aluminum pans for drip pans to be set on the diffuser plate.( If you use a large disposable aluminum pan, you may have to mash in the corners to get it to fit.)

2. Use 2.5 scoops for short cooks like ribs or chicken and 4 scoops for long cooks like pork butt, chuck or brisket. Four scoops will give you about 10-12 hours of decent temps (250° or more). Spread them pretty evenly on the charcoal grate. Top with 5-6 chunks of wood (4 to 6 oz each). Don't put a wood chunk directly over the igniter. 5 to 6 chunks will give you about 5 hours of beautiful blue smoke. For short cooks, use 1-2 chunks of wood. (Reminder: 1 Weber scoop holds about 40 coals, about half a chimney.)

3. Start the SnapJet ignition going. Let it run for exactly 5 minutes with the lid open and bottom vent fully open.

4. After the 5 minute ignition, turn off the SnapJet igniter. Add the diffuser plate, two aluminum drip pans and the food grate. Attach the ambient probes to the grate. Close the lid, flip down the top vent but leave the holes fully open (bottom vent still fully open) and watch the temperature climb.

5. When you're about 70 degrees from your goal temperature, close the bottom vent to the smoke setting (or just below if your WSCGC runs hot) and close the top vent to 1/2 or less, again, depending on your Weber. I like to have the lower vent set just above the smoker setting and the top vent at 1/3 to ride out the cook.

6. Before adding meat, oil the grate with a soaked paper towel to give it some lubrication.

If using KBB, there's a ton of white smoke until the Weber gets around 225-250, then it settles out to white wispy/blue smoke for several hours. If the smoke is pure white (no grey), I'll put the cold meat on at 180°F grate level temp so it can get a jump on the smoke flavor. I feel (but don't know for sure) that adding that cold mass helps to keep the temperatures from running away. I've done it both ways--adding the meat early at 180°F and adding it at 225°F, and honestly, if I keep an eye on the temp, I've yet to have a runaway smoker.

With B&B Briquettes, there's no billowing white smoke. Just nice smoke pretty much right after shutting off the SnapJet. I use 3 scoops of B&B and one scoop of KBB, because the KBB lights more quickly. Ditto with Weber Briquettes.

Being a PBC type of person, I'm comfortable with smoking in the 270ish range (270 to 300 works well for my tastes, but that's a bit hot for some folks). A 4 scoop load of coals (Kingsford Original) lasts about 8-9 hours at that setting. I set the lower vent to just above (to the right of) the smoker setting and the upper vent to 1/3 open.

For cooking below 250, I close the lower vent to just below the smoker setting (to the left of it) and set the upper vent to 1/4 open. At 250 or less, I can get about 10-12 hours of smoke out of a single 4-scoop load of Kingsford Original coals.

HTH,
      Kathryn

Comment

• Harry
        Harry commented
        Editing a comment
        I endorse using two medium pans instead of one large pan for dripping/water pool. Easier to lift out the water and fat after you are done, too. The vent settings during the long smoke (just about open enough for a pencil to slide in the top and closer to closed than Weber's suggestions for the bottom vent) works well. Wish I'd had K's briquette volume hints and that WONDERFUL "about 70 degrees from" comment before I burned through several bags and a couple dried meat chunks.

A fine choice!
      Welcome to the club. I use mine as much as I can.

Comment

The 26" is my holy grail - I haven't got the guts to think top of the mountain yet...

You are in for a great journey there!

Comment

• SavageSmoke
          SavageSmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the 26er and Vortex. Great grill

Tomorrow is assembly Day!

Comment

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

Oh hell yeah. I would love to cook on one of those and I never say never.

Comment

great!

Comment

Burning her in...

Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Soooo pretty!

K.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember when the inside of my lid was completely silver. ;-)

First Cook - local NH pasture raised Angus Strip Steaks
                Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great job. I was waiting for the first photos!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, OK then. First photos have arrived. Yay.

Tasty way to break the WSCGC in. Looks great.

Did you use the charcoal basket with a reverse sear or did you Kamado it? KBB?

ETA: Oops, never mind, I went back and looked at your previous post. Looks like you banked Weber coals to one side for that kettle mode cook. Wasn't it fun? I love that cooker.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; November 16, 2019, 06:55 AM.

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  #fzxdoc I used Fogo lump and yes I did bank it to one side. Worked great. I did overshoot temp, I was looking for 350 but it shot up to 450. It wasn’t hard to
                  Back it down. Would have taken way longer in the BGE.

I Can’t wait to play with it again.

Lookin’ GOOD !
                With the nerd gun strategically place for any necessary protection from BBQ bandits !

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never bring a knife to a gun fight

Way to go! That photo just gave me chills. I'm trying hard not to break the 10th BBQ Commandment, "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's Weber Summit."

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We're all in big trouble here. Coveting thy neighbor's cookers is just part of being a Pit member!

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish I was in Thailand learning the secrets of the local cuisine!

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
                Oh happy Day!
                Loaded mine in the back of a Jeep GC in May 2017. Had to leave the box behind so everything else would fit inside. Is probably my favorite grill/smoker in 60 years of outdoor cooking (including C-rations during Ranger School when THEY starved us on purpose).

ENJOY!.

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

Had some folks over for the Pats game. Cooked up beef ribs, two racks spare ribs, wings, and steak tips. It was 32 degrees rain coming down sideways windy and cold.

The WSCG ran like a champ Low and slow for 5 hours for the ribs then switched over to hot and fast for the wings and tips using the vortex.

This is an amazing grill

Comment

• ScottyC13
                  ScottyC13 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was brutal out yesterday. Glad to here the cooker did well.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Music to my ears. Good to hear that the WSCGC came through like a champ.

I watched a bit of that game with my husband. Terrible weather you all had.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here