Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i right about this Craigslist find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i right about this Craigslist find?

I've been watching out for a second Weber kettle. Have been looking as much for something different as for extra grate space.

Saw something interesting on Craigslist yesterday evening. The Seller called it an 18.5 inch Platinum Model. Did some quick research, got approval from my beloved Finance Director, and made arrangements to pick it up this afternoon.

Here is what I came home with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	692503

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	692498

I'm pretty sure this is one of the first versions of the One Touch Platinum. The code on the lid says it was manufactured in 2004.

Name:	IMG_3297 (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	692497

What keeps me from being certain is that there is another version of the One Touch Platinum that was made just a few years ago. It has small tables on both sides.

Am I right in calling this a One Touch Platinum?

Whatever it is, it is in very good shape for its age. It came with a brand new hinged grate.

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	692499

There's a little bit of rust and a few scrapes, but that just shows that it cooks well enough to be used frequently.

Name:	IMG_3300.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	692501

All things considered, I'm happy with the new cooker. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3301.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	692502

Attached Files

Nice ride! Love those CL finds.

Comment

You did the right thing.

Comment

Very nice find!

Comment

Good buy for you!

Comment

More real estate to cook on is always a good thing.

Comment

Congrats! A very cool find.
              Kind of a kettle guy, here, an ain't never seen me no 18.5 in a cart, previous...
              My 18.5 is perfect sized fer small, quick cooks...

Comment

• Brian_M
                Brian_M commented
                Editing a comment
                Was kind of waiting on your thoughts. His ad said it was a pretty rare model. I’m comfortable with the info I’ve found but it was scraped up from some different sources. I can’t find a definitive "This model was made from this year until that year." kind of listing.

Still, well worth a forty minute drive and $60.00.

Congrats.

Comment

You made a great buy, that grill will last you another 15 years or more. Register it with Weber and tell them about the rust spots and they will help make it good.

Comment

Bravissimo! Great pickem up.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the comments.

I've had a little more time to look.

It's definitely a One-Touch Platinum. Weber made 22's and these 18.5's. Judging by some threads on a couple Weber-specific message boards the 18.5's are pretty hard to find.

I still can't find official dates for when the model began and ended production, but they were made somewhere in the early 00's. I double checked the date code on mine...2004.

Mr. Bones was exactly right. It did a great job tonight with a quick hot dog and sausage cook. I'm looking forward to figuring out how to make this one run just right. It just might get the vortex chicken cook tomorrow night.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lookin forward to seein yer vortex yardbird cook... I love my 18.5", Jumbo Joe, an Smokey Joes, fer ease, an economy of use...
                      They probly git more use than any of my cookers,especial on a work night.

Hah! Found it.

1st Gen One-Touch Platinum grills (like mine) were made from 2000-2004. Weber redesigned and reintroduced in 2010. The 2nd Generation One-Touch Platinum grills were made from 2010-2012. These 2nd Gen One-Tough Platinum grills are the ones with a table on each side.

Name:	2nd gen OTP.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	692724

Information courtesy of Google and the forums at weberkettleclub.com

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WKC Rocks!!!!

That pic looks familiar, like my baby. Click image for larger version

Name:	9CAC6F9E-96DE-4256-8A24-294A71E8441E.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	692776Click image for larger version

Name:	D59FC7E8-4605-40EE-9A37-092D26F74DB0.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	692775

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a cutie. Love the color.

Kathryn

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does it fit inside yer stagecoach , or do you have to carry it up top?

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      gcdmd it has two wheel so’s I just hitch it up!

Let us know how that Vortex chicken cook turns out, Brian_M . Nice way to break in your new toy, following those burgers and dogs, that is.

Kathryn

Comment

I've never seen one of these either. Looks like a mini me of my performer. Congrats, great find!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here