Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Jumbo Joe 22" Premium Charcoal Grill: can I add the One Touch ash catcher to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Jumbo Joe 22" Premium Charcoal Grill: can I add the One Touch ash catcher to it?

While at Walmart today MCS bit me in the behind. Even though I didn't need it, I bought a Jumbo Joe 22" Premium kettle--the kind that has the tray set onto holders attached to the legs. The price was great: $45 after a discount for being the floor model, the last one, and assembled so the handle is between the two wheeled legs . (some disassembly/reassembly required )

This is the one I got:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	d19b4b7a-d148-4996-a109-433eab4e4765_1.bb372d6897c12e45824820edde254fe3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	544017

Now I'd like to add the One-Touch ash catcher like I have on my WSCGC and see on the Performers, etc. , one that looks like this.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	81FTl9rpx9L._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	544018

I can't find it on the Weber parts portion of the Weber site but may not be looking in the right spot.

Can I add the One Touch ash catcher with the sweep arm assembly? If so, does it take many modifications?

P.S. The kettle is hiding in the garage for the night. Haven't told my husband yet. Although I spend way more than that on makeup, it's not the money to him, it's the proliferation of toys that he can't seem to understand.

I'm working on my rationalization.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 6, 2018, 04:29 PM.

Kathryn, what you are calling a Jumbo Joe 22” appears to me to be almost the same as the standard $99 kettle? At least it looks a lot like it. Unfortunately there is a part on the kettle itself you are missing to attach the ash catcher, along the sweep arm and parts inside the kettle. I think you will spend more in getting these parts from a Weber parts dealer than you spent on the grill.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the low profile bowl because I'm thinking it would be a good searing machine. The distance from the charcoal grate to the grill is 3.75" on the JJ as opposed to 5" on the standard kettle.

Yes, the legs 22" tall, and the diameter of the cooking grate is 22" as opposed to 18" for the portable JJ. Plus the portable JJ was $69 and I paid $45 for this one with legs and more cooking area.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 24, 2018, 09:56 AM.

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - that's brilliant!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead suggested just raising the charcoal grate with some bricks in an article I read last month. That's another way to get you sear on.

jfmorris , the documentation that comes with the grill calls it a Jumbo Joe Premium 22 inch. You're right, I believe it retails for $99 usually. The $45 price tag was a bargain deal.

I'd like to add the One Touch system for safety's sake; we live in a densely wooded area on a mountain. I don't want sparks to cause a problem. I like the One Touch system because it's enclosed. So cost is not an issue if it guarantees that the grill is safer to use.

If the projected cost gets too high, I could just take it back and get the Original Kettle Premium that retails for $149.

The shape and size of the openings for ash disposal on the JJ Premium is different than that used for the One Touch system on the Weber Original 22.5 inch Premium kettles.

I want to use the JJ Premium primarily for searing. It's smaller than my WSCGC and should be good for quick cooks for just the two of us and should be faster to clean than the WSCGC.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 24, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I spoke with Weber today and they dashed my hopes--no way to attach a One Touch ash system to the Weber Jumbo Joe Premium. Sigh.

I'm happy with my purchase nonetheless. For one thing, because of the markdown, it was $15 cheaper than the short legged Jumbo Joe which I had been eyeing for a large charcoal sear station (Larger than the SnS) to use when I sous vide steaks, etc.

With the longer legs and more cooking area (22" vs 18" grate) compared with the portable Jumbo Joe (which is, I'm guessing, what makes this one a "Premium" Jumbo Joe), I don't have to directly set it on something fireproof/heatproof to use, although of course I'll have a fireproof grill mat underneath it to protect the deck.

I have no intention of hauling it around, so the portability of the shorter JJ is not a factor.

The charcoal-grate-to-grill-grate distance is less than that on my WSCGC (helping with the sear temps, maybe) and the grate will be easier to clean because I can put it in the laundry room sink to soak before scrubbing clean.

So mostly it will be used for those quickie weeknight cooks for the two of us. (less charcoal, quicker cleanup)

I was happy to find that my Adrenaline Barbecue Charcoal Basket for the WSCGC fits just fine in the JJ. Yippee! The ABC Charcoal Basket has all the features of the SnS except for the water reservoir. I can always add a pan of water.

So the only accessory Jumbo Joe Long Legs gets is a Weber 22" grill cover, which cost nearly as much as what I paid for the grill!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 24, 2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Quite a bit because I often cook for two. I have a Primo XL and a Weber 26 both if which are quite large as I'm sure you know. So the JJ was a good addition.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, that's exactly why it's a good addition for me as well.

How much charcoal do you use for those JJ cooks, Attjack ?

Kathryn

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc Often times I get away with just a single weber charcoal holder full. That's what cooked my dinner pictured below. I think that might be around 25 briquettes.

fzxdoc it is possible to have the mounts fabricated to the bottom of the joe to accept the ash bucket

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe so, customtrim . I guess I'd just have to order the sweep and bucket and see how that could be done.

K.

Short answer?
      Yes, it can be done, but is not a bolt-on swap, rather a retrofit.
      As an interim, far less arduous/tedious modification, I can recommend sourcin a large sauce pan/smallish stockpot, that will fit up underneath, on th stock aluminium pan, leavin mebbe ~1-1.5" fer airflow to th bottom vent...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 9, 2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of fabricating the mounts spot weld them on to the base would have to see on the swing arm for the sweep but it is definitely a doable job Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed, doable customtrim
        I've seen some done so, over yonder at WKC...

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        A great suggestion, Mr. Bones. Thanks!

K.

I'm working on an enclosed ash catcher for my Jumbo Joe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AmgYUciu6MJhvJRObLpKnte-dCkZlhcgQr52Gvd9IVCGSfvFByYIEA5jpdqRbThCwHdFIAc1tkkc2XhQRyJ-IVjOtXOU4r9pJMDXJd-I_Bzwh5hAICjH10CxZQy157oqr7_L2YxSzJQSWMD9oSxA9D5sydAI_33DXTXVIbCT-8MfuqrsSua-yb14v_sjT8sw1X4rrWw62jbPzRfNgOxZBKJBUi7UqTy8lnMtluuPrRzKgoHfctQ7dbByTQWpZzj
Views:	2142
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	545979

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Please, do elaborate/clarify/demystify, brother... as my avatar clearly shows: I'm all ears!

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        That bowl looks better than anything Weber would use. Nice mod Attjack!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah the bowl is heavy gauge and high quality. I was going to make a Poortex for my smokey Joe, but then realized it was the perfect size for a JJ ash catcher.

So fzxdoc you still have the husband issue... Hmmmmm I believe I've heard someone somewhere say something like "Geee dear, those a lovely shoes. Are they new?" .LoL!

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Truer words were never spoken, HawkerXP . In fact the day after I got the JJPremium, I bought 2 new pair of shoes. It's been a good week.

K.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        A husband that doesn't understand toys? Huh. Never heard of such a beast! God love him. Leaves more money for you to play with! 💲💲

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        He's a minimalist, Mudkat . The only maximalist thing he ever did in his life was to marry me! We're perfectly paired.

I tilt the ash out of mine before each use. It's kind of annoying and isn't the cleanest way to go.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. Even as much as I love, use, an advocate my much-beloved Smokey Joes, it's kinda a goofy setup. JeffJ

Please, do elaborate/clarify/demystify, brother... as my avatar clearly shows: I'm all ears! - Mr. Bones

Well I've just cut a SS bowl to accommodate the travel of the bottom vent adjustment arm. I had previously considered a more elaborate attachment system, but by just bending the leg assembly a little bit I'm able to hold the bowl in place between the bottom wingnut and the top 3 wing nuts. I'll cut some additional vent holes around the top of the bowl. That may be where I stop, or maybe I'll try to come up with a sweeper system as well.

Name:	tT3MDox6cYo-qKRakjtctEVDaH9t6dHpmpZbr6AxyjalgJcCttl48qo596_Orqu3VzWHp5w2DKLVx6Lz-jKiSvCtNrMDdrO-Lz6p7YqxunKbwH7nLBNR-VvfXMg1438l01KRTmqyxvMLNfqL5eYp_puGUjLbMCuscuBkFSpSel_1g6VFsRoqOQfXjBoCOlSuRjNsX-hvWxbBPOa0fWal-1I9UlLAVkIMCqbyLRC3FXgfC4dStXkpC-6F0qJSkXw
Views:	2469
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	546015

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm liking the looks of that. Thank you, Attjack .

Kathryn

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I bought the bowl from Goodwill for a few dollars.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's frrken awesome Attjack !! I love the way you guys customize, I'm just not that clever

I think I'll begin user testing tonight by cooking some elk steaks, corn, and summer squash from the garden.

Name:	9iGoxF3laOC11NqhWxEVryPi15e5OceQPj8XlQPpm5hW63iyrGgAkAqSxJ3dHtKSbBWD6sOTELVN9ZaijeoFn8KOqtk3Vm_5ii3KqAmJONQc7blt6JyBdUdQkuS9wpTPid7j8bXduwPn1-Yac96H2VZDIMtr7tNZQdDmKtVSFU1iGh0zHSG7cw0jli9sXizrvzAa-isfiX4aAJ9oOiOrhyIAomyDPO8uISw9mqGsqSJfkzrtWcyTQPmb_sHcJu1
Views:	2478
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	546020

Comment

Keep us posted, Attjack

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Please Do!

How about bolt/clip mounting a large stainless dog bowl with some holes cut in it?

you can use a brush to push ash out, if the sweepers don’t fit.

I got a kettleman for searing because it has more airflow. Didn’t work out because the coal bed is actually _too_ shallow. Depth gives you more room for heat sources that all go up.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          What is the distance between the charcoal grate and the grill grate on that Kettleman, Polarbear777 ?

K.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          About Two kbb briquettes high if I remember right.

Sounds to me like you have a great searing machine. Enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Maiden voyage. Working well even without the additional air intake holes. I'll still drill them though because I feel like they will help.

Name:	20180809_200736.jpg
Views:	2369
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	546194

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Not much ash from this little cook obviously.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            So you launched the little one over a big one in case of failure? LOL

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah especially before the enclosed ash catcher mod it made sense to have it on a fire safe surface. But it's also just a good spot.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here