Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp control for weber kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp control for weber kettle

Hi everyone. I'm looking to add some kind of temperature controller to my Weber 22 and or 26. I have a SnS and the thing rocks but am looking for a little more control with the temps. I'd like to be able to leave the house every now and then when smoking. What is the best temp controller out there for the Webber kettle? Budget is not an issue. Appreciate any advice/recommendations.

I have a Kettle with SnS installed. I've been using a Heatermeter for some time and love it. You can buy the parts and solder it up yourself, or purchase one from people on the Heatermeter Forums, or buy one from Auber.

It's a lot more feature rich than a DigiQ or Bbq guru. It's basically a computer. There's a web based interface for pit control and monitoring. Email, text and even phone call alerts. All kinds of stuff. Highly recommend it.

The kettle and SnS is an easy combo to maintain temperature, and the Heatermeter does an excellent job of dialing it in hands off.

Comment

• Smokey9721
      Smokey9721 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the recommendation. I will check it out.

I have the basic Auber syl fan system for the wsm smokers that is reviewed on the main site.

If I had a large smoker running 18 or so briskets I would definitely look into a Heater Meter or Rocks Stoker 2nd edition.

Comment

• Smokey9721
      Smokey9721 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've read all of the reviews on the main site but can't seem to narrow it down. I'm a little hesitant to drill holes in my Kettles but it looks like I might not have an option. I'll install it on my 26 since it's more sensitive to temp fluctuations

• Smokey9721
      Smokey9721 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod,

Where do you drill the holes for the party q? My SnS sits at 9 o'clock on my kettles.

The Party Q rocks. Dead simple to use and it is great at regulating temps.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      @ Pit Boss I love mine, but it eats batteries on 14+ hour cooks. Which type of batteries do you use?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Rechargeables, and I use fresh batteries at the beginning of a cook if I want to be able to ignore my kettle... like to sleep

I agreed with David Parrish the Party Q works very well and easy to install.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Smokey9721! I can't answer this myself since I don't use controllers, but obviously you have received some great answers from some smart & experienced folks here. When you get time, head over to the Introduce Yourself channel and tell us a little about yourself!

Comment

I agree the partyQ is awesome but the only smart control I've used.

I have to say that a non assisted kettle with a SnS, 22 or 26, is pretty dad gum stable. It requires babysitting for the first hour or so but then your good. Every bit as stable as a WSM if not more so.

I have no problem leaving it for a few hours to run to town and such.

Comment

Smokey9721, I will further confuse the issue for You! I have a 22.5" Weber, with a S 'n S, a DigiQ-2 Temp Control with a Stainless Steel 20 Gauge plate on the charcoal grate, +- 17.25" in diameter with +-4" clipped from one side. This allows all the air from the DigiQ to flow across the Weber under the S 'n S reservoir and up through the Coals. From start to finish the bottom vents on the Weber are closed! I have been very pleased with the Temp Control as long as I get the Lid set on properly! Hope this helps! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Siouxfan
            Siouxfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! I would imagine that would help with or without the temp control. Going to look into that, as well as building a Heatermeter.

Thanks everyone! Some great information and help from all of you. One last question....where do you drill the hole in your kettle for the party q? My SnS sits at 9 o'clock.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            at 3:00 oclock about a inch below the charcoal grate.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Also make sure your ash removal arms will still have their full range of motion where you have the hole picked out.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here