Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza accessories for the kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza accessories for the kettle?

The search begins for a stone and peel for cooking pizza on the kettle.

Wood or metal peel?
    pizza stone or pizza pan?
    are there advantages to one over the other, or am I over thinking it?

What works best for you guys?

Following along for the knowledge as I want to make pizza on the kettle as well.

Comment

• nunyaz
      nunyaz commented
      Editing a comment
      " " " " ditto to CHNeal

I got a stone, 17" n a metal peal, with my Roti for the 22. I have not used it yet and wonder if the temps are going to be hot enough. OnlyFire was the MFG.

Comment

From my own experience and I have not had a lot of success with pizza on a kettle, but that does not mean you can not have lot’s of success. Attjack has the kettle pizza accessory and makes stellar looking pizzas. I have given up as I don’t want to spend much money.I have moved to wood splits and big flames coming through the grate and making flatbreads and topping it post bake, certainly not the cheese melted option, but if you like a good flatbread topped with various garlic oils & what ever is fresh. (like 2 minutes or so of grill time)

Click image for larger version  Name:	FAA1EE3C-BA96-4A20-B8CE-BBA8A4720D1A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	397.1 KB ID:	1352621
      Click image for larger version  Name:	B2E91C18-EDD3-4C62-BE7D-86D6A74F1B10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	499.7 KB ID:	1352622
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 29, 2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that flat bread from scratch?
        I've only ever done premade..

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Finster yes, it is my own sourdough, dough, only baked with wood fire.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 29, 2022, 11:35 AM.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        CHNeal I love this cook. I kept trying to reproduce my indoor pizza on the cheap outside. I decided to just make a pizza that would work on my standard set up, it is so good, that quick burst of gas bubbles that blows the dough up, and the char is all so incredibly tasty.

Have a roccbox, so can’t speak to the kettle specifically. But of all the peels I’ve purchased, a perforated metal peel has been the best. It’s a real benefit to be able to shake off the extra flour from the underside of the dough, because that flour will burn quickly.

Comment

Have been using the Weber pizza stone and paddle for years now. No complaints---what is important is the pizza itself and how you prepare it more than the accessories. Good luck----and don't forget the anchovies!!

Comment

I got fancy and ordered a Kettle Pizza oven kit for my Weber Kettle. This turns a Weber Kettle into an awesome wood-burning pizza oven. Now to answer you actual questions, I use a pizza stone that came with the Kettle Pizza kit. I also use two different peels - a wood one for launching my pizza into the oven and a metal one for retrieving the cooked pizza. I find the wood one slippery than the metal one so I use the wood one for launching. In the Pizza Kettle insert the temperatures can get higher than 700degF so I like the metal one for retrieving so I don't scorch the leading edge of a wooden peel.

Comment

I have a Pizzaque attachment I got for free. I have found the key is using some wood to reach the desired temperature. So I like to use lump charcoal and hardwood splits. For peels, I have both but if you only want one get a metal one. Launching is easier with wood and everything else is easier with metal. Because I launch on parchment a metal peel is really all I need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9glgF2ak87Ve-OyNyc0AjCGGt7TPj3lS1zSKDT3r_v1Gg28kLSY1QLYU5nKDUiVn1ojrMX_nFmhbqc1tC1-R8h00em22sMa4viuq6fXFSOCpizw5y_VrWiNkuLOc53-gVFc2UUNMtgbP0wN69HnXlMNL6-Z1ovRDJ3LU0HCcG57ZEKypUFumLfe14GPoTDWmmogSIF-5FcGEIOLB3iZCaNyoJ4UrgnlWGmb0udBSiww33cCAU8jZHRZ6ePn_yXm
Views:	211
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1352702

Name:	Ur-cnMN0664bms9ARZ5S8-oLLiIdkcjrks-FAISXFtsGf63g039IbbwYmsCnczmsIP5qLMrelM_fObsF5Gcrn_if82ApetyWZKKv_HCqwvGCrYoGgM0_BmDphjFxSYW639InO3ISkJiGkQy9GUhk3J40niHdt0P0cCEnbRzASyOWBDerm5NTBIxlQGvFMVk1ABOQafw-bUbcxZj6gaf89kBltAHMBoV1QJ2WfUuX61a4VTadxSCsDzKJkxYcKNB
Views:	196
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1352703

Name:	Oc0kJ5LTZQ8YwEqYtjJABtcrXkP75T4Jnx69FjHXDejKtaxtzm7lADZBM50p6f-edJxOTBY-KHSLYf1GXm2aHOYxPzUDso5wE1eLNEsCsfp37z2SDVDJi2nVDDWYuz_fxmuOY45wF2_7I0ctFVS3XLqJzPTh5C_02YcOGTYGqv9wfNlQqrPpwYo3kYtHz61Iz16jbVHJjxDl-Chc70JvVZnWBMMYy2OkKjEpGCbi5ruVEXeCnXMWUCDprxB5WYm
Views:	193
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1352704

Comment

I use a Fredstone (some artificial material, lightweight) that works wonders. Reason: it blocks the direct heat so the hot air comes up, around and that means the pizza is cooked “ingredients first”, which is key. The pie will get done anyway. And just like Attjack I use wood splits to bump up temps. In fact, I’m gonna shamelessly plug my YT video where I demonstrate how I cook pizzas on the Weber kettle. I don’t have that pizza “ring” that raises the lid 3-4”, instead I burp the lid (offset it 1” to get enough air to feed the fire):

This way I cook each pizza in 2-3 minutes, just do one after another 👍

Comment

Anyone else notice that AR social media accounts posted how to grill a pizza on your grill this afternoon. Lol

Comment

Here's my setup for pizza:

Name:	2C18FBB5-597A-45BC-9869-9FA97076E73C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1353002

13" CI pizza pan on a hover grill. Full chimney of KBB for base heat and small splits for top heat. Keep all vents wide open and the lid cracked and It'll cook a Neapolitan style pie in about 3 minutes. The key is preheating the pan or stone on something else, or you're going to waste most of your charcoal. Controlling the top heat comes down to how many splits you add, and this setup eats fuel like crazy, but it's fun to play with.

Turns out a pretty decent pie, too.

Name:	0D3EA710-055F-464C-91F9-D2BBAC7A2C8E_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1353003

I'll probably get a round stone or baking steel because the lip on the pan makes launching and retrieving a bit of a pain.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Turn the pan upside down.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here