Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using my used charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using my used charcoal

Just using up some used charcoal for lunch...​

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221024_123947 (Large).jpg
Views:	339
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1313782

Name:	20221024_124141 (Large).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1313781

Name:	20221024_124319 (Large).jpg
Views:	326
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1313783

Some leftover chips too...

I reuse lump all the time, just never had any good luck with reusing briquettes.

Comment

I am usually firing a chimney with at least 1/2 used charcoal. Actually doing so right now to cook tonight’s chicken!

Name:	01CB3DFE-34AC-4AEA-842E-700151F633A5.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1313952

Comment

• IdahoJim
      IdahoJim commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a Smokey Joe your chimney is sitting on? I've been thinking of picking one up just for lighting my chimney...

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      IdahoJim Yes Sir! Been using them for that for years. Started when I only had one grill and wanted to get charcoal going before I cleaned or adjust the grill for the cook and hated the burn marks on the drive and it’s just become the norm.

• RlsRls
      RlsRls commented
      Editing a comment
      Late to the party but......Why dont you guys just light the chimney on the coal grate in the cooker? Why buy an extra grill? Just curious. I might be missing something. I'm a PK 360 owner.

I also reuse the larger pieces of used KBB.

Comment

I collect my used lump and briquettes into a plastic grocery sack and give it a twist to keep moisture out the next day. The next time I cook I put a dozen new briquettes in the chimney first and then dump the used coals on top. There’s still heat in them coals!

Comment

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on. Lots or trial and error showed me that that dozen or so fresh briquettes is vital to the process. Keeps the small stuff from falling thru the bottom and really helps in the lighting faster.

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        Just what I do. My chimney is about half and half.

I just poke the used KBB to knock down the small pieces and ash. Sweep that into the ash bin. Dump the fresh lit KBB on top and off we go.

Comment

I always reuse old charcoal I guess I’m just frugal. After I installed felt on the lid when I close the vents it puts on the fire quick and leaves me with some good chunks left. Only issue Is the old leftover charcoal burns slower with less btu’s so it works well if you need a medium heat for a longer cooks like bone in chicken breast. I agree with the tips, is always put the new charcoal on the bottom of the chimney with the old on top to get it going quicker.

Comment

I use a charcoal basket in my kamado. All I have to do is give it a shake to get any ash in it to come out then add enough new lump to cook what ever I need. The only waste I have is when a piece gets small enough to fall through the basket.

Comment

I reuse my KBB. Like mentioned above I put the new charcoal on the bottom of the chimney when starting.

Comment

I reuse anything I have from briquettes, lump and wood from the offset. No problems for me using any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwng View Post
                I reuse anything I have from briquettes, lump and wood from the offset. No problems for me using any of those.
                Same here.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Except you stuff them in a Cowgirl helmet and set it ablaze!

For me whatever doesn't fall through the grates gets reused with the new. I never dump intact coals of any usable size.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here