Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 racks of ribs on kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 racks of ribs on kettle

Tomorrow I plan on putting 3 racks of baby backs on the kettle. First time smoking on the kettle. My worry is that 3 racks will not fit on the kettle. I am using the SNS insert for this. My thoughts are to take the ribs and make a circle out of them and put a skewer through them to hold them like that. I have done this with the WSM when I had that. Then flip them half way through the cook.

does this sound like a plan
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150712_170447066_HDR.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1238541

Sounds like a great plan to me, especially after looking at your pic. You probably thought of this already, but I’d also rotate them a few times around the grate.
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I bought a Weber rib rack at Home Depot for like $15, and use it to cook up to 5 slabs of ribs at a time, standing on edge, in my kettle with the SNS. Works great. I flip them over about halfway through the cook, and if doing 3 racks of ribs, leave an empty slot in the rack beween them.

Comment

Maybe it's time to buy a 26"?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the way you think.

Originally posted by rlozinak View Post
        Tomorrow I plan on putting 3 racks of baby backs on the kettle. First time smoking on the kettle. My worry is that 3 racks will not fit on the kettle. I am using the SNS insert for this. My thoughts are to take the ribs and make a circle out of them and put a skewer through them to hold them like that. I have done this with the WSM when I had that. Then flip them half way through the cook.

does this sound like a plan
        3 racks of St. Louis on my kettle. Been do'in it for years, rotate every hour.

Attached Files

Comment

I use the coil method when I use my Kamado Joe Jr. It works just fine. You should not have any issues.

As a side note.......It might be time for a bigger grill/Smoker l!

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I think we need a bigger boat.

I too have a rib rack, but that’s a cool idea. Now that you have me free-thinking it, I’m wondering why you couldn’t just lean them against each other…

Comment

And lets not forget this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rrr.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1238674

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s cool …. I wonder how well it works

I do 4 racks in my SmokeEZ barrel add on (Too bad hey are gone) . I have done 6 once for a friend .
            Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I like "fall off the bones", so they are done when they land on the coals. LOL 😯😛😜

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqLuv
              Do you use the smoke detector as a timer in the kitchen too? 😃

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Finster that is funny, but how did you know?

Rib-Cheerios it's what for Breakfast.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd buy rib-ios. I love orignal cheerios and love ribs, what could go wrong.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter ok - I'll let you be the first to experiment. Pour a bowl of cheerios, sprinkle well with MMD, then add milk and liquid smoke, and report back on the experience...

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              You think I won't? I've eaten raw fat from behind the eyes of game animals, that would be nothing. jfmorris

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here