Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need a SnS insert for my weber kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well @Finster, plenty of feedback here and I'm sure you'll do what feels best for you and maybe you already have but here's my two cents. I also have a PBC and Weber + SNS and I say absolutely add the SNS.

While you're at it, also pop for the SNS easy spin grate to cook some steaks with the cold grate / front sear method and you'll never go back. Other things to consider would be controlled low and slow at 225 - 250 is possible with the SNS instead of 275 - 300 sort of on the PBC plus you'll use a fraction of the charcoal. Don't get me wrong - I love a good caveman hang the meat over the fire cook in the PBC but unless I need to cook more than 1 butt or multiple racks of ribs I'll usually go low and slow on the Weber / SNS plus you can cook the best steaks ever.
    Last edited by cgrover60; May 11, 2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I have multiple kettles and a PBC. Almost always use a SnS when using a kettle.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I always have either the SNS or a Vortex in my kettle, rarely cook without one or the other.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        And I mostly use my kettles with nothing but charcoal and wood 😀

My dear Mister Finster, I see that you have only been around a few months so, the tutorial will begin. M is more, C is fer cooker & S is fer syndrome. See, when ya git in the Pit ya just can’t help it but to start gittin more cookers & related gadgets & accessories. You have already displayed early infection of the disease by havin 2 fine cookers & yer vortex. Some times ya git it so bad ya git the shakes, yessir. It can only be satiated by feedin it, and that is by gittin More of somethin. And since yer kids want to chip in (which is great BTW), let em have to it. Enjoy MCS, never fight it. In yer service, FireMan!

Comment

I bought my SnS before my MT Kettle. I have added both a Vortex and a Cajun Bandit rotisserie. I can do almost everything with my setup. I use the SnS all the time except when I use the Vortex. That said, MCS still happens on a daily basis and one day I will get another cooker... just because!

Comment

Follow up questions to those that use the insert...
          I presume for fast and hot cooks, you add all lit charcoal at one time same as you would for any other 2 zone fire, correct?
          for doing low and slow with lump charcoal, do you try to use similarly sized coals, or just whatever randomly comes out of the bag?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, for hot & fast I either light a pile in the SnS basket or dump it from a chimney. For low & slow I fill the basket up (I use briquets in it, personal preference) and either light one end or light 8-12 coals in the corner then add the rest. It burns as a fuse/snake. A full basket will get you roughly 8hrs, depending on specifics. It needs stirred and the ash knocked at about the 3-4 hour range. When I tried lump I just dumped the bag and what came out, well there it was and I burnt it

Finster I’ve got an SnS as well as a vortex and use both of them…and really like both of em. I’m a briquettes only guy, so I’ll answer that part. Yes, for hot and fast I’ll dump in a full chimney of lit coals, B&B briquettes. I can get almost 2 hours of useful heat. [with a full load] Here’s how I like do low and slow with the SnS insert.

I’ll fill the insert with unlit briquettes and a few wood chunks in the mix. I’ll take a tumbleweed and place it off to one end of the insert with a coal or two on top. Light the tumbleweed and let some coals get started…..about 20-30 minutes. Once I’ve got a few coals going good I’ll place the lid on the kettle and get it up to temp. Then place food on the grate. That’s it. I have easily gotten 6-8 hours of cook time this way. I probably could have gotten a few more hours if I needed. If you’re not using them already, try B&B charcoal. A lot of us here have switched from Kingsford to B&B, for low and slow. Less smell and longer cook times.
          Last edited by Panhead John; May 12, 2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks John.
            I have used B&B briquettes. I also recently bought a couple bags of the char logs that I'm still getting a feel for, but so far am impressed.
            also have some Cowboy (rebranded Stubbs, I believe) briquettes that I like.
            I've been really impressed with their burn time on low and slow cooks.
            Got those on clearance at Costco last fall. Haven't found them again since.
            Am down to my last bag, now wish I had bought all they had.
            Not much of a fan of Kingsford, but it is always available

Originally posted by Finster View Post
          Follow up questions to those that use the insert...
          I presume for fast and hot cooks, you add all lit charcoal at one time same as you would for any other 2 zone fire, correct?
          for doing low and slow with lump charcoal, do you try to use similarly sized coals, or just whatever randomly comes out of the bag?
          On question 1 - I dump the coals in pre-lit from a chimney for hot and fast.

On question 2 - when I use lump in the SNS, I take what comes out of the bag, and if the peices are too big - like the log sized hunks that I get sometimes, I either bust them up or put them back in the bag and grab something else. There will be a lot of random sized peices in the SNS. I light it like I would with briquettes by putting a little pile in one corner over a starter cube, let that get going, then fill in the rest of the basket. I've also just poured it in and put a lighter cube on top at one end as well, but that takes a bit longer to get going. I am usually not in a huge hurry though.

When using lump, I may get more fluctuations compared to briquettes if looking at the cook on a graph from my Smoke thermometer, but it still stays around my desired average temp. I've seen 10-12 hour burn times for a load of charcoal at 225 using B&B lump on my kettle.
          Last edited by jfmorris; May 12, 2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Purc
            Purc commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going to try a combo of both B&B briquettes and B&B char logs ( instead of lump) on my next brisket cook at 225 to see if I get 10+ hours smoke with the SnS but tonight it's straight B&B briquettes for a reverse sear tri tip on my kettle. I use the same lighting method as you do.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post

On question 1 - I dump the coals in pre-lit from a chimney for hot and fast.

On question 2 - when I use lump in the SNS, I take what comes out of the bag, and if the peices are too big - like the log sized hunks that I get sometimes, I either bust them up or put them back in the bag and grab something else. There will be a lot of random sized peices in the SNS. I light it like I would with briquettes by putting a little pile in one corner over a starter cube, let that get going, then fill in the rest of the basket. I've also just poured it in and put a lighter cube on top at one end as well, but that takes a bit longer to get going. I am usually not in a huge hurry though.

When using lump, I may get more fluctuations compared to briquettes if looking at the cook on a graph from my Smoke thermometer, but it still stays around my desired average temp. I've seen 10-12 hour burn times for a load of charcoal at 225 using B&B lump on my kettle.
          Thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for.
          I'm beginning to see that the insert may enhance the overall versatility of the kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post

Thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for.
            I'm beginning to see that the insert may enhance the overall versatility of the kettle
            It does. If you think about it, it turns your kettle into a little offset smoker, with the firebox just happening to be inside the cooking chamber.

I've also made some awesome wood fired pizza on the kettle using the SNS to manage the fire...

Check this out... by cracking the lid slightly (with it off the edge so that the SNS had some extra air flow, I got the kettle over 600 degrees. I run with my pizza "stone" (cast iron pizza pan in my case) on a Hovergrill to get it higher in the dome. Makes for an awesome pizza with lots of wood fired taste. This cook has briquettes and a little lump and some wood chunks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1610.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	1220330

Here's another cook... as you can see, I am using lump and some large hunks of wood.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1569.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1220331

You might notice my grate is totally open above the wood portion of the original SNS. I've got an older Easyspin cooking grate, with the loops that hold the grate loose enough to where I can easily remove it, which I usually do when smoking or not needing a sear zone.
            Last edited by jfmorris; May 12, 2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

O.K. I've fully gone down the rabbit hole...lol
            Next question.

Original or deluxe?
            Does the heavier gauge steel make much of a difference, and is a removable water trough a big deal?

Comment

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              @Purc
              Great idea. Would keep my charcoal baskets from being a complete waste of money 😄
              Last edited by Finster; May 12, 2022, 02:22 PM.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Finster I just realized something. My "original" SNS is a true original - from when they were Adrenaline BBQ Company, before they renamed to SNSGrills.

Mine has a welded water resevoir, as well as a laser etched SNS logo, and was at the time advertised as "over 5 pounds of stainless steel".

The new Deluxe is rated as 16 gauge 430SS, and the "new" original is 18 gauge 430SS. I gave a new original to a friend though, and he loves it.
              Last edited by jfmorris; May 12, 2022, 07:07 PM.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              As a comparison, the Vortex, which many here use, is 20 gauge stainless. I don't see any of these burning up to be honest. But I do actually feel that my 2016-17 timeframe SNS in my Performer is just as sturdy as the newer SNS Deluxe in my SNS Kamado.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post

It does. If you think about it, it turns your kettle into a little offset smoker, with the firebox just happening to be inside the cooking chamber.

I've also made some awesome wood fired pizza on the kettle using the SNS to manage the fire...

Check this out... by cracking the lid slightly (with it off the edge so that the SNS had some extra air flow, I got the kettle over 600 degrees. I run with my pizza "stone" (cast iron pizza pan in my case) on a Hovergrill to get it higher in the dome. Makes for an awesome pizza with lots of wood fired taste. This cook has briquettes and a little lump and some wood chunks.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1610.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	1220330

Here's another cook... as you can see, I am using lump and some large hunks of wood.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1569.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1220331

You might notice my grate is totally open above the wood portion of the original SNS. I've got an older Easyspin cooking grate, with the loops that hold the grate loose enough to where I can easily remove it, which I usually do when smoking or not needing a sear zone.
            Damn. now I'm really hungry.....
            And I'll be damned if you aren't doing your best to talk me into this thing.....lol
            Do you get a referral fee?

Comment

I would skip the SnS and get a Santa Maria Grill attachment for the weber kettle. If you are just grilling on the kettle, this device allows for better heat control over direct coals. The first time I seared a ribeye on my Santa Maria attachment, I was amazed. Much better than even a cast iron sear. This can make a run of the mill steak great!
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1652692626346.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1222145 this popped up in my memories today. This date last year, before I had my PBC. This was my set up for doing low and slow on the kettle.

Comment

First cook on the new slow n sear...
                marinated chicken breast pieces, and roasted taters with everything but the bagel seasoning...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20220601_181310.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1230127

Comment

I'm one of the odd ones, never have used one, nor a vortex. I do have a SNS stainless easy spin grate though.

I've heard nothing but good about them, so, if you get one, you'll be in good company.
                  Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 1, 2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here