Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber 22.5 with smokenator - temp issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber 22.5 with smokenator - temp issues

Hello,

I recently tried my weber with smokenator for the 1st time, using the last meal ribs recipe here. I have made this recipe before, but always on a propane grill. However, after moving, and not bringing my BBQ along, I decided to buy the weber/smokenator combo for my new home. So far it is working out great, learning as we go, but that is half the fun.

My main issue that I have not been able to solve is when I add wood to the charcoal I get a large temp spike..up to 350 or even higher. I am not entirely sure how to compensate for that. My set up is 2 zone indirect, with the smokenator on 1 side, 30 briquets unlit with 12 on top started with a chimney. Once I have the temp stabilized I add the meat, and the wood for smoke. BAM, giant heat spike, from the wood. It forces me to open the grill, and move the meat around as I don't want to cook the ribs fast!

My thought, untested, its to just use lit charcoal with the wood to begin, and then add unlit charcoal after the smoke. Would this work? If not, any other suggestions?

Opening the lid will cause a temp spike, no matter what, when you're doing low-n-slow. All of that extra oxygen will fire up the existing coals. When using my Smokenator, I add the wood chunks with the initial setup of unlit/lit charcoal. That way, the wood has a nice smolder going by the time you add you protein. With the lit charcoals placed on top of the unlit coals and wood chunks, the wood gets buried a bit and calms down faster after a lid opening.

Another excellent reason NOT to use the little water pan that comes with the Smokenator (you have to open the lid WAY too often to check/refill it).

Comment

If you foil the lower grate right up to where the smokenator is that will give you better control of things. The kettle was a few trial and error things to master lower temps, now i just run a charcoal snake and leave the vents open unless it a real windy day

Comment

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I could not figure out the problem. I finally figured out my bottom vent blades were bent and letting too much air in. I got a new set of blades and the issue is fixed. Totally sealed on the bottom. I had to knock some serious creosote around the bottom hole to get the blades to fit. I also use the Party Q from BBQ Guru with my Smokenator for a constant 225 with minimal temp swings.
        Are you using binder clips to seal your lid? I use 6-8 for my leaky lid.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here