Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Performer/Premium/Deluxe SNS upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Performer/Premium/Deluxe SNS upgrade.

I hate the little "tables" that are standard equipment on your typical gasser. For me, they just don't work. Kettles? Even the side table on the SNS is nearly useless, other than a thermometer holder. I wanted some work space while tending my SNS and Weber One Touch. So I took a look on pinterest, and man, there are some crazy builds for kettles!
    I have *zero* carpentry skills, building from scratch was not an option, so I began to think...

I figured I could find a table that was at least 6 feet long, cut two holes in it, and have 18" of space between them. I checked the thrift stores, Craigslist, I even went so far as to check out new "cheap" tables. After about a month of searching, I found this nearby on Craigslist:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Table.jpg Views:	0 Size:	517.6 KB ID:	1052177
    A hundred bucks for a six foot table and 4 chairs. It's laminated length wise with about 1.5" strips, about 1.75 inches thick. I didn't seen any manufacturer for it, but the matching chairs were from Ikea, so I assume the same.

Step 1: Reinforce the legs, and create a place for a shelf:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TableI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	625.0 KB ID:	1052178
    Step two: Add casters.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TableII.jpg Views:	0 Size:	276.5 KB ID:	1052179

Step three, cut the holes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TableIII.jpg Views:	0 Size:	634.0 KB ID:	1052180
    Note that the two holes don't line up. I wanted to preserve the lid basket on the SNS, so that cut had to be moved more towards the center in order to avoid the table leg. I also had to remove the stringer at the end of the table so the kettle could stick out. A big reason behind the 2x4 reinforcement earlier. Also note that the 1989 vintage $15.00 (at the time) jigsaw struggled mightily. Anytime it got to a joint where 2 strips were glued, it nearly stopped it. But after about an hour, that little saw powered through, and I had my holes.

Step 4, "mount" the kettles. Both Kettles would be "gravity" mounts- the Weber would just rest on it's handles. I found some corner brackets that I could just set the SNS on- the rolled lip fits right over the brackets. No drilling! Yay! Click image for larger version  Name:	TableVII.jpg Views:	0 Size:	349.1 KB ID:	1052181

Finished table, including tool hooks, bottle openers and a hole in the middle for an umbrella:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TableVIII.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.5 KB ID:	1052183
    In its place in my "kitchen"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TableLast.jpg Views:	0 Size:	831.1 KB ID:	1052182

I don't know if I am completely done yet. I am for sure going to slide in a piece of plywood for a shelf on the 2x4 structure. I had planned on running some aluminum flashing around the holes as a heat shield, but after cooking a tri tip on the SNS last night, I don't think it is necessary. The temperature at the wood next to where the fire was never registered more than 10 degrees above ambient.

Final Cost:
    Table - $100.00
    2X4's - $20.00
    Casters- $15.00
    Misc nails, screws, brackets- About $20.00
    Tool hooks (12) and bottle openers - $40.00
    Total Cost- $195.00

Hours spent- About 7, with part of that being the obligatory multiple trips to Lowe's/HD/Ace as the project progressed.

Worth it?
    Heck yeah!
    Last edited by McFlyfi; June 28, 2021, 03:32 PM.

Looks like you have more carpentry skills that you let on. That’s very nice work there! Congratulations on your new cooking area. It will serve you well.

Comment

Very clever, and well done! I know you will enjoy that setup.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Great job! Write up is well done also! BTW….I love Foghat, they were one of my favorites.

Comment

Well done. Do you know what the wood has on it for protection? You might want to take one of the cutouts to a paint store and see if they recommend anything for weather protection. And it looks like ya got two nice serving trays out of the project too.

Comment

• McFlyfi
              McFlyfi commented
              Editing a comment
              To me, it feels like it is just stained, it doesn't seem like there is any kind of "coating" on it. I think I am going to throw on some kind of poly/varnish/clear coat. Maybe food grade beeswax or mineral oil? Tung oil?
              Last edited by McFlyfi; June 29, 2021, 11:38 AM.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Once you decide which finish you think will work, you need to try a small amount, (maybe on a cutout?), first to see if it's compatible with the stain.

Oils can require frequent reapplication to maintain adequate protection - maybe every 3 to 6 months, but some are easy to apply, (like exterior grade Danish oil).

A poly finish may give you better protection, but most require some practice to get them to look good. They may need redoing in several years.

Check with the pros for the best advice

Great job. Nice work.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

You done good!

Comment

Looks wonderful! Good job!

Comment

I'd like to see a shot of the underside of the finished table.

Comment

• McFlyfi
                      McFlyfi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There isn't really anything under there. It has two "long" side rails that are about an inch and a half thick, then the "short" side rail on the left. There's a bracket that connects the legs with the side rails, and top is screwed to the rails.
                      I am thinking about screwing a strut across (side to side) right next to the SNS on the inboard side to replace the rail that I removed to make room for the SNS lid catcher. That should help prevent warping on that side.
                      I'll try to post a pic tonight.

Originally posted by zinfella View Post
                    I'd like to see a shot of the underside of the finished table.
                    Here ya go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Under.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1052859Click image for larger version

Name:	UnderII.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1052860

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here