Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill/smoker recommendations for a noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill/smoker recommendations for a noob

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Greetings from Arlington, VA!

Having recently obtained a place with a brick patio, I guess since I got the space for it, I need an outside food preparation device.
    I don't have anything of the sort right now.

I'm looking for a versatile grill/smoker combo to do everything, because I don't have the space for several dedicated outfits.

I like the PK360, Good-One Open Range, Hasty-Bake Gourmet 256, Meadow Creek PR36.

All are very good, expensive, and with exception of PK360, take up a lot of space.

While perusing the Meadow Creek's website, I came across the PG25 patio grill, which is inexplicably not mentioned anywhere on this site... I'm wondering what Max Good would say about it in his review.

Or should I just be like everyone else and get a Webber kettle? Though some complained about the quality of recent years.

I'm not married to the list above, all suggestions are welcome.

What say you, Forum?
    Last edited by sashav133; June 21, 2019, 01:22 PM.

Can't help you on the brands you mentioned, other surely will. And although I do not own a Weber (and yes I'm still here 😜)
    they perform the most tasks the best it seems. The price is good also.

And welcome to the Pit from the California Delta

Comment

Check this out:

I post this in an attempt to help our newbies (to which I once was a short time ago) not feel so overwhelmed on the topic of selecting a cooker that is right for them. There are a lot of “looking for advice on a cooker” posts from newbies and seasoned vets looking to expand their arsenal. Obviously, the choices and opinions

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        I would say that's just one persons take on the Weber kettle. I think you'll find waaay more people on here that have no issues with their kettles. I bought my Performer over a year ago and got zero complaints. Bought a 26" recently. Haven't used it yet, but it's a tank.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Weber kettles are nice. They may no longer be my go to but I'm not getting rid of them either.

• BuckeyeBBQnut
        BuckeyeBBQnut commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a Weber kettle all the time. Very versatile and foot print is small.

Welcome to the pit from Colorado. Be careful of your new space or you may get MCS. Looking forward to seeing your choice. I don't have a Weber, but I used to have a WSM. You will get more responses soon, but there are a lot of kettle users on here, and a lot of them have multiple as well.

All the ones that you listed are in the Platinum. It is kind of go with one that you like the way it looks. I do know that the newer versions of the Good-One Open Range will allow you to turn the upper box so that the door is on the other side. That way if you are smoking something you are not reaching over the top of the firebox.

Comment

The grate on the Meadow Creek Patio Grill is only 13 x 22, which seems pretty small to me.

Comment

I have used all sorts of smokers during my years. I have gotten rid of them as I reached retirement years.

I have been smoking on Webers for 40 years, started with the Original one with there baskets. Have all kinds of big smokers between then and now. I am retired now and it is just the wife and I so have a Platinum as described above. I smoke, turkeys, briskets, butts, ribs, chicken. Grill steaks, pork chops, chicken thighs and thers.

I would add two accessories to the Weber the SnS and a Party-Q or Digi-Q. I think the metal on the Weber is slightly thinner than the old ones thus the need for the Q;s

While I like the PK-360 I would move the thermomer to the right so the coal are on the left. Just my preference and I would find a way to secure the legs down.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 21, 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            "I would find a way to secure the legs down"

... sandbag(s) would be a good place to start ...

Howdy. Don't own a webber, doubt I ever will. PK 360 would for sure be my vote for what you are asking.

Comment

I'd personally be looking really hard at the PK360 plus a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) ... both have a small footprint ... and you'd certainly have all your grilling and smoking bases covered.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              After several iterations with kettles, which are great, that’s my combo. PBC for stuff that hangs and volume and PK360 for everything that fits in it.

While you describe the versatility you want in the style of cooking you want to do and your space limits, you don’t mention the quantity of your cooks or your budget. Those two bits of information would help improve the recommendations.

Comment

You can't really go wrong with anything on your list, as far as I know. I like the PK 360 and wish I had one. I also feel that way about the Good One as well. Maybe figure out what capacity you will need and see which one suits you best?

Comment

Welcome from Virginia! My obvious vote would go to the Hasty Bake.

Comment

A Weber 26” with Slow N Sear. The most versatile of what you ask grillin & smokin. Then you can build from there as you grow in yer skills! Welcome, eat good & have fun! Most important is the fun!
                  Ps. And you’ll have plenty of real estate if yo need to do a big cook!
                  Last edited by FireMan; June 21, 2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I would suggest to start off with a Weber Kettle. In my opinion it’s a jack of all trades cooker. There are so many accessories for it and it can almost turn into anything you want it to turn into. It’s also pretty reasonably priced so if after a season of cooking on it you find you do not like cooking outside it’s not too much of an investment.

You can always buy a second, third or fourth outdoor cooker down the road. A lot of people on these forums have. It’s an addiction.

😊

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ya mean, we can have multiple cookers? Seriously?
                      Shut.Th.Front.Door! Mind Blown!

I'm ON IT, Boss!!!!

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What’s a multiple cooker, twins, triplets?

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You guys!!!!!

First welcome from Western Massachusetts. I got a 22 kettle this spring with SnS and Vortex. Small footprint, versitle. With Vortex wings will knock you out. I don't think you can mess them up. Low and slow with the SnS, pick your protein and smoke away. I'm eyeballing a PBC. But need to form a get it buy my wife without her noticing plan. Most likely next season.
                    ​​

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. They will all get you where you want to go. Just decide which one will make you the happiest and buy it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here