Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1000 to spend on new grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1000 to spend on new grill.

So I’ve got $1000 to spend on my next grill. I’ve already got a Large BGE. I work at a youth home where I frequently feed 8-10 people for supper a night so I’m looking for more capacity. I’m not going to sell my Large BGE. I’ve got a connection through a BGE dealer to get a XL BGE for around that number and was first planning to go that route to stay in the family. But recently I’ve been looking at larger capacity pellet grills. Was interested in your guys’ two cents. What would you lean towards?

You could get 2 22” WSMs and have a chunk left over for meat?

Comment

I cook on a Large BGE. If you are mostly cooking low and slow or roasting the Ceramic Grill Store online has some add ons that can increase your capacity or a Big Green Egg Store does now, too. If you are looking to do more grilling a Weber 26” kettle might work. The Good One Open Range would offer some grilling and low and slow versatility, but would stretch your budget. I am sure other Pit members have some good suggestions, too. I added a Smobot to my BGE and it has really simplified low and slow and Rosing cooks.

Comment

Slightly over budget but I would go with a Hasty Bake. Am I a bit biased? Yes. However, it is extremely versatile and I have a lot of space to play with.

They do have a slightly smaller unit that fits with your budget as well.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Hasty Bake is next on my list.
          I believe I need to sell a few others to make room but hopefully by mid Summer it will be mine.

Weber Summit is a good choice

Also check out Assassin Grills 48 inch grill $975

Last edited by Old Glory; April 28, 2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I would take a look at Gilla Grills Silverbac model. Their top of the line model clocks in at $799 and has 692 square inches of cooking space. Here is the link

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            And the Alpha Controller is judged by some (like me) to be unecessary, so you could save $100 and get the non-Alpha Silverbac.

If you're feeding that many folks regularly then a nice pellet grill might be a good fit. Fire management is simple and the results are very good.

Comment

There are some large capacity pellet grills which give very consistent fire/temp management particularly if you are feeding big numbers. Downside is searing might not be great, however, depending on the Pellet grill you get you might have some extra for a Weber Kettle to provide a good searing option.

Comment

Ideas for large capacity pellet cookers?

Comment

I can highly recommend the Grilla Grills products. I own the original Grilla which has 630 sq. in. of cooking space (with the upper rack extension). The Silverbac is bigger (and more conventional looking) with a total of 877 sq. in. cooking space (again with the upper rack extension). Add in the quality build, double wall construction, and some of the best customer service I've ever experienced and you can't go wrong. There are other very good choices out there (none of which I've personally owned) but I think you should at least give the Grilla Grills pellet smokers a look.

Here's a link to a page on their website that illustrates capacities: https://grillagrills.com/pellet-gril...ze-comparison/

Comment

I have a rectec mini and it's been a great little smoker. Customer service is excellent. You may want to look at this one:

recteq high quality smokers and grills with WiFi technology will have you spend less time guessing and more time enjoying your grill.

Comment

Take a trip to South Dakota. There’s a steal of a deal there.

Comment

First, thanks for doing what you do... working with and serving the next generation! Second, I don’t see any mention of it... but what types of foods do you tend to cook most often and do you tend to do more low n slow or grilling?

Comment

I like how he asked specifically for recommendations for a large capacity pellet grill, and we get all the Weber Kettle suggestions right off the bat!

Rjbachtold I will 3rd (or 4th) the suggestion to give a hard look at the Grilla Grills Silverbac model if you want a good pellet smoker for under $1000. Personally I am thinking that the original Grilla round upright model will be my next smoker, down the road when budget permits. I've been window shopping for pellet smokers for several years, and keep coming back to Grilla as the best bang for the buck for under $1000. Anything else like Rectec or Yoder is going to break the budget to get similar quality or capacity.
                        Last edited by jfmorris; April 29, 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

It depends, do you cook on site where the kids are? If so, you should think about a 26 inch Weber kettle and whatever else with extra 600 (lots to choose from). My logic is that if the kids can see you cook then a Hasty Bake or a Grilla (awesome choices) are a luxury they cant even imagine at this moment. But a Weber kettle, that's accesible, if they learn from you and catch the BBQ bug they can get their own kettle when they age out. Not only do they get great food now but you may impart the gift of BBQ for the rest of their lives. Plus when they get older and can get any grill they want they can blame their MCS on you😂

If they can't see you cook and you like playing with fire Hasty Bake, if your focus is a quality end product, I really like the original Grilla's.
                          Last edited by tenphases; April 29, 2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here