Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet smoker versus Propane smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet smoker versus Propane smoker

I live in 4 different locations at different points of the year so MCS is a real problem. We are all on budgets and my budget is telling me to get advice. I do not understand the advantages that a pellet smoker has over a propane smoker. Most PS's need a tube and Gas smokers need wood chips or chunks. I don't really get the difference, is it size, smoke profile, results?? Help, I'm no knocking either but a little advice will help me make a better choice or save some money. (I do not compete I only care about flavor and ease of use)

Thanks

Marco

Does it have to be gas or pellet only? Charcoal not in the running?

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a bunch of charcoal cookers, hasty bake, wsm, pbc, kamado... and I love them!! But I want to be able to go to the pool with the kids and come home to dinner ready! Love my charcoal cookers

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      For that price point, they are nice smokers. Max thinks so as well. Check out his review. he has hands on experience with these units. https://amazingribs.com/smoker/camp-...-smoker-review

tenphases

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Got a line on a brand new one for 250 (camp Chef)but I saw a MAK 1 star and love it. I was thinking get my feet wet and see if I like it, then buy a MAK if I like the flavor and experience

I would get a pellet rig over a gasser at this point in my BBQ life. They offer more smoke than a gasser, sure there are ways around it. Adding wood, smoke tubes etc. However, on a quality pellet rig, you can also sear over a wood fire and not a gas one. And you don't always have to add something to it if you want to smoke.

Gassers are probably easier though, less things to break down, easier access to fuel.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a line on a camp Chef smoke profile dlx 24 new in box at a good price. Would you consider that a quality pellet grill. (I know it's not a MAK or a Memphis but is it quality, that you would consider?

There are advantages to both. You need electricity for a pellet smoker. Not so propane. My propane smoker was measurably less expensive initially, than my pellet smoker. both pellets and propane are recurring costs about equal. Some personal observations with a pellet smoker. Burn pot must be cleaned out every second or third cook for good efficiency. I get a mild smoke flavor unless I use my smoke tube to augment smoke. I almost always get a great looking smoke ring on my pellet smoker.I don't remember ever having a smoke ring with propane. The smoke ring is a product of actual wood combustion. Propane seems to smolder wood as opposed to actual flame. From a safety standpoint, a pellet smoker is a lot safer than propane.Masterbuilt manufactuers both propane and pellet smokers. You could drop John McLamore a request and see what he says.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I've read many,many online reviews of the Masterbuilt 330B pellet smoker and there seems to be an inordinate percentage of problems with the electronics. I like the idea of pellet smokers, but it seems to be a universal opinions that they lack in smoke flavor. I've always used charcoal. But I've gotten tired of the WSM and having the issues of temp control being finicky, and having to take off the top rack to get to it if your using two racks. Maybe I'm getting lazy and want ease of use.

The main thing that drove my selection of a propane smoker (Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24) a few years ago was cost. The Smoke Vaults will set you back much less than most pellet smokers that I've seen. I've always gotten great smoke flavor (and smoke rings!) with the Smoke Vault. But you do have to replenish the wood chunks periodically for long cooks. So definitely not as hand-free as a pellet smoker.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Great. Info thanks

As a happy owner of a pellet smoker, I'd actually caution against one unless you're gonna spend a bit. I'd consider a quality pellet smoker (stainless internals, and ideally stainless anything that gets some heat... barring that a well known brand with no history of powder coating problems at the minimum) for your primary residence. But if you were to forget to clean something and empty it out properly, you're going to spend some time disassembling the unit to get pellets out that turned into concrete from getting moist and then re-hardening. You don't want to be doing a full clean on a pellet grill 2x a year (once to get started and once when you leave) at 4 locations. It's miniscule at a single residence, and with regular use you'd probably only do a deep clean 1 time a year on a stainless unit. A normal steel unit will require even more thorough maintenance to stave off rust since it will be unused the majority of the year.

If I was in your shoes I'd probably get a quality pellet smoker at my primary residence, 2 propane smokers, and then probably just a standard webber kettle at the residence I used least. My thinking is that pellet smokers are kinda like airplanes or hot rods, they rarely have problems when they are in use... it's the long storage that brings problems to light.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info, makes allot of sense

If I could only buy one of those 2, I would probably go with a pellet smoker for ease of use and flexibility and preciseness. Gas smokers seem to require much more fiddling to set a specific temperature. Pellet smokers are literally like an oven - set the temp pretty much exactly. As others have already said, you get a mild smoke flavor with most pellet smokers, as they are so efficient. They give the best flavor at low and slow temps (225), and less at higher temps.

Are you hauling this smoker around the country, since you say you live 4 different places throughout the year? If so, portability surely plays a factor, as do local ordinances. Personally, I love my charcoal and wood burning kettle with SNS and my offset. I would love a Backwoods Chubby. But some places (mostly left coast, and Colorado recently) have burn bans that prohibit the use of many outdoor fuels such as charcoal or wood. That leaves electric and gas as your other options, and since pellet rigs are pretty much electric, burning wood pellets, they may get by in places that a charcoal/wood smoker don't. But, a gas smoker like a Smoke Vault 24 is gonna be a lot more portable than say a Grilla pellet smoker!

My next smoker is personally likely to be a Grilla - their original round one. But its hard to beat a good charcoal smoker, especially when cost and portability are a concern. I would consider both the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) and the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) as options, along with the Smoke Vault if you are set on propane. And look hard at the offerings from Grilla. I've spent 2 years now window-shopping for a pellet smoker, and the original Grilla is the one I think is most likely to satisfy my taste buds, coming off 30+ years of cooking with an offset.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      That original grilla is tempting, love the footprint!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      tenphases I've corresponded with their customer support (very friendly folk), and they steered me towards the OG versus the Silverbac based on my desire for more smoke flavor, coming from an offset as I do. They say it has a better smoke profile, likely due to the shape and convection of the cook chamber. And with that extension rack, I think it will be plenty of room for most of my purposes. I just gotta recover from two recent weddings, and this semester's college tuition for my 3rd kid...

Wait I'm a little confused. Some guys are talking about conventional pellet grills versus propane gassers and others are talking about upright smokers like a Masterbuilt. I'm confused, what exactly are you looking advice for ??

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I want a set it and forget it smoker. I have a bunch of charcoal cookers that I love and will never get rid off. What I need is a cooker that I can run and walk away from while my kids and wife keep me running I figured that calls for a pellet or propane smoker. I like the price point of propane but not if they are vastyly inferior to propane. Does that help?

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is, I really like my pellet smoker. It mostly takes care of itself, I just need to do the normal tending - opening to spritz occasionally, sometimes interrupting to wrap the food, etc... I really like the WiFi app as well. It reduces the time I need to be outside in super cold or super hot weather. This weekend, I just sat in my recliner, picked up my phone, and started the smoker; watched the app until it reached temp and then threw on the sous vide pork chops for searing.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds nice!

Have you considered adding a fan to one of your charcoal smokers? Nothing is completely set and forget, but adding a fan to a kettle or wsm will make it equal to a pellet smoker as far as set and forget goes. If you have a fireboard you can use it to control the fan as well as monitor temps from anywhere.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a flame boss for my 18 in weber, it's great!! I just want more! Lol MCS, I don't really need anything other than a kettle but I love my toys

Yeah I'll add my vote to Red Man...if you already have several good smokers, including charcoal ones, why not just buy a fan system like a BBQ Guru or the like to control it and then you can essentially treat it like a pellet grill or whatnot. It'll maintain temperature similar to a pellet grill and you a) still get the benefits of charcoal and b) it's a shit ton cheaper than buying a whole new grill. For a couple hundred bucks you could just modify the grill(s) you have vs. spending much more on yet another rig, as it seems like you have several already.

Comment

Have you looked at Max Good's review of the Masterbuilt MPS 340G? https://amazingribs.com/node/2626 Propane Smoker with an actual thermostat! See info on right hand side of this page near the top.

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks interesting!

• Driverdan
        Driverdan commented
        Editing a comment
        YES!! If I could justify it to DW I would definitely get the MPS 340G!!

There's not too many pellet grills that I haven't laid hands on and used. If this is for sometimes use, I'd be tempted with a portable pellet. I borrowed a GMG Davy Crocket for the Jack last year and I worked it hard. Had to have one so for $400 it was a no-brainer for this mighty mite of a cooker. I cooked 5 whole beef tenderloins cut to steaks during a 6 hour period. It never even hiccupped. Hate to say it, but I like it better than the Daniel Boone model. The Original Grilla is an amazing cooker. It does low temps and it'll grill. Plus it comes 98% assembled. MAK is a Cadillac, innovative design, unmatched quality. Yoder builds cookers that LAST!

Whatever you decide on, check availability of fuel. Check local grill dealers. This time of year, you may find some deals on last year models. I wouldn't be afraid to buy on price, just realize that it's a starter pellet grill and you'll likely move up to higher quality.

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I ended up doing. I got a camp Chef dlx smoke pro, basically a woodwind for 250. Im going to try her out and see if it's for me. If I like it, it will go to my son and I'll upgrade.

I have a propane smoker and my son has a pellet cooker. One advantage I noticed is that with using a propane smoker for a 20 hour brisket cook, I only have to add wood chips for the first 4-6 hours, so the cost to smoke is less than a pellet grill when doing long cooks.
      I also can use mine as an outdoor oven without smoke for biscuits or pies if needed.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        If you buy in bulk you can negate or at least minimize the cost difference. I found pretty good pellets for $14 per 40lbs, I can get a pallet of quality pellets for similar cost, but they run about $1 per lb single bag. My smoker uses roughly 1-1.5 lbs per hour under 300F, so your 20 hour cook would cost me about $9 including electricity, I think a 20 hour cook would burn up just shy of half a tank (on my old grill) which is about $12 with exchange price (I don't know if refill is cheaper)

I'd go for a pellet smoker for sure. I'm a GMG guy (got the largest the Jim Bowie) in my line up of smokers, but they do smaller ones and the smallest in the range can easily be powered using an inverter from a 12V (truck \ car etc) supply. I earned my stripes across many late nights on bullet smokers, UDS's etc. and for sure you can deliberately get more smoke from the manual smokers (maybe even a gasser too), but my pellet smoker does a very respectable job in terms of smoke profile - no shortage of smoke ring and pretty fool proof providing you take the time to clean it before every smoke. Here's a couple of pics of one of my briskets from the pellet smoker - bark is good and so's the smoke ring, ate great too, bit of pulled pork on the side.
      Attached Files

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks real good!!

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!! Do you use a tube/find it necessary?

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope only time I use a tube in the GMG is if i'm cold smoking. I just don't think it needs it. One tip though - take the time to seal around the edges of the smoker door with a flat furnace cord or something like that. Also add tensioner clips to door too to give it a good seal. That way all that good smoke says put and leaves the chimney at the right time.

For smoking, I would always go for something that burns wood over something that doesn't. So based on what you are choosing between, I would get a pellet smoker. It really is set and forget like an oven.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here